Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Concerning "Brazil Nut" pommels / Oakeshott pommels type A/B Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Francisco Simões

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Concerning "Brazil Nut" pommels / Oakeshott pommel         Reply with quote

The Oakeshott pommel type A and B or best known as the “Brazil nut” pommels, seems to be the omen of an ending era and the beginning of other in the Western Europe sword’s timeline. On the other hand it also seems that at least from Oakeshott type X until type XII these kind of pommels where used!

These pommels tend to awake two very diverging feelings among the sword users and collectors communities. Either some love it or hate it!
There are obviously two concerns here, the practical and the aesthetical.
For myself I ordered two types of sword that do have the Brazil nut, being the aesthetics my primal concern as I’m not a swordsmanship practitioner, tough being very interested on sword handling characteristics. I reorder an Albion Reeve, as I had to sell my first one, and ordered a Gaddhjalt. While I’m waiting, I thought to know better my newcomers!

I would invite you fellow members to debate your own experiences, photos and feelings on these kinds of pommels and swords.
Godspeed

Non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da gloriam
P. Cha

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm kinda meh about em. They aren't my favorite pommel designs nor my hated ones (personally I like round and hate fishtales). Practically speaking, they kind are the worst design since it pretty much negates the ability of a second hand on the sword....unlike my hated fishtale pommel which are some of the most practical design for this. Yes the round also isn't very good for this aspect as well...but thats what I like the looks of Happy .
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
Practically speaking, they kind are the worst design since it pretty much negates the ability of a second hand on the sword....unlike my hated fishtale pommel which are some of the most practical design for this.

But the vast majority of brazil-nut pommeled swords are single handers, most often meant to be used with a shield. Why would you need a second hand on a sword not really designed for one? Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been playing with one lately (a one-hand, brazil nut pommel sword that is) and quite like it. The heavy pommel provides a good balance for a broad bladed cutter, and its shape provides for smooth and natural transitions from hammer to handshake grip. One can very easily see this as a logical transition from the earlier viking forms to the various types that were more popular in the later medieval era.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brazil nut and tea cozy (type B) pommels are my absolute favorite pommel types. I find that the various shapes of these specimen have such an austere beauty that blends so elegantly in the type X, but even more so the type Xa and XI blades- just stunning. They also correspond to my favorite period of European A&A in terms of collecting and study (the late 11th, and 12th c.). The combination of one of these swords with a long kite shield and conical helm just seals the deal for me.

In fact I am on Patrick Barta's long waiting list to commission a sword based on XI.5 in Records- a truly exquisite piece in my opinion- featuring an iron type B pommel that was once covered in gold.

Disc and wheel pommels are way too overdone- but that's just me. Wink

Last edited by Jeremy V. Krause on Wed 30 Apr, 2008 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
P. Cha

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
P. Cha wrote:
Practically speaking, they kind are the worst design since it pretty much negates the ability of a second hand on the sword....unlike my hated fishtale pommel which are some of the most practical design for this.

But the vast majority of brazil-nut pommeled swords are single handers, most often meant to be used with a shield. Why would you need a second hand on a sword not really designed for one? Happy

Because shields break Happy .
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:

So can swords, especially when wielded incorrectly....

Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
P. Cha

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Myers wrote:
P. Cha wrote:

So can swords, especially when wielded incorrectly....

Well then it's a good thing you can bash people over the head with a shield now ain't it Wink .
Francisco Simões

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My historic most favourite is the ULFBERHT in “Swords of the Viking Age” by Ian Peirce, page124 and 125. If I would commission a Brazil Nut kind it would be that one, or the X.13 on Records!

I think the beauty on these swords is the clash between the ancient world, a more Pagan one, and a new world, a more Christian one. We can find blades with pagan inlays and others with Christian inlays. I think it would be common to find both on the same shield wall!

Francisco Simões

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
Well then it's a good thing you can bash people over the head with a shield now ain't it Wink

How could you, as you had your's already broken? Wink

Chase S-R

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have an older MRL my first and last MRL sword!!! It is THE LATE NORMAN SWORD with a green suede grip and nickle wire. I bought it after seeing a similiar original in leeds. The pommel shape I love but on that sword combined with the length of that grip makes it quite uncomforatable to wield. i have also held and swung the Albion Reeve which also as you stated has a Brazil nut pommel, on that sword it is quite comforatable. I have been able to hold my MRL with two hands and if you grip only the pommel with your left hand it is quite comforatable.
Charles Stewart Rodriguez
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a Del Tin St. Maurice and I love the way it feels and handles. The pommel can also double as a mace when used right.

These types of pommels give me a more secure hold on the sword. I also dislike fishtails.
http://www.deltin.net/2130.htm

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Francisco Simões wrote:
My historic most favourite is the ULFBERHT in “Swords of the Viking Age” by Ian Peirce, page124 and 125. If I would commission a Brazil Nut kind it would be that one, or the X.13 on Records!

Windlass has a replica of this sword. I have one of these. It's not an exact replica, and it ain't no Albion, but for ~200$ its a rather nice handling sword that cuts quite well. Also, the etched inscription is not so bad as some feared.

PS - have to agree on X.13. As stated on another thread, that's my favorite in Records. Wish someone would replicate this and do a good job of getting the proportions just right.
D. Nogueira

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anyone know how popular this pommel type was during its time?
I read someplace (Don't remember the source at all...) that they once were even more popular or common than wheel or disc pommels. Can this be true? I would have thought the contrary...

Allow me just a little consideration about some posts I've read here:
I am not telling anyone how to grip a sword, but please remember that if you hit targets while firmly gripping the pommel you are placing a lot more stress on the tang than when holding the sword just by the grip.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. Nogueira wrote:
Does anyone know how popular this pommel type was during its time?
I read someplace (Don't remember the source at all...) that they once were even more popular or common than wheel or disc pommels. Can this be true? I would have thought the contrary...

It depends on the time period. Around the time of the Norman conquest and the early crusades, brazil nut pommels seem to have been the most popular, by far. As the Crusades wore on, wheel pommels (known in the Viking Age but not popular then), became more and more popular and eventually replaced the brazil nut as the most common type.

Happy

ChadA

D. Nogueira

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

It depends on the time period. Around the time of the Norman conquest and the early crusades, brazil nut pommels seem to have been the most popular, by far. As the Crusades wore on, wheel pommels (known in the Viking Age but not popular then), became more and more popular and eventually replaced the brazil nut as the most common type.

This changed my vision on how the "archetypal" sword of the first crusader knights was like...
(I had in mind something more like Albion's Bayeux or Hospitaller swords)
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. Nogueira wrote:

This changed my vision on how the "archetypal" sword of the first crusader knights was like...
(I had in mind something more like Albion's Bayeux or Hospitaller swords)

Well, I could be over-generalizing. Happy Wheel pommels were known by the first crusade and were gaining popularity. By 1100 wheels would have been far from uncommon. Around 1100, we have a lot of examples of both types. By 1200, the wheel seems to be the more dominant form. A wheel would be appropriate for 1095 or so.

Happy

ChadA

Chase S-R

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

you see wheel pommels on the bayeux tapestry, and the leppaho viking swords...... Actually on the tapestry 1066 you see many wheel pommels and few brazil nuts. Could the wheel pommel have been more poular with the french? Or could the wheel pommel and brazil nut be pretty equal in popularity? Or as the tapestry [/i]could[/i] have been made as late as 1090 [/i]could[/i] this show a form that is becoming more popular? there are more brazil nut finds in archeaology of the time in question then there are of wheel pommels, i believe (i have seen more in museums any way....) Happy Happy Happy Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Big Grin Big Grin
Charles Stewart Rodriguez
Francisco Simões

PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I may have the wrong idea, but to me is very clear the position in time of the Brazil nut pommels. They came first, and they were popular first, being substituted progressively over time by the wheel pommel, sharing at some point of the same popularity though.
The position in space of the Brazil nut to me is more unclear. I may venture saying that it would have been a more Rhine, British Isles and places of Saxon/Viking "High Time" influence. And the wheel pommel may have been more of Norman (Descendents of Vikings in northern France and England), logically of later presence.
I believe that maybe by the time of the first crusade these two pommels types where sharing numbers in the battlefields of Western Europe hands.

Brandon Minton

PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It'd be nice if we could have an expert answer this question of the comprehensive distributions of wheel vs. Brazilian-nut pommels by archaeological date. Anyone up to the task?

I also agree with Francisco that these swords are in some ways examples of weapons caught at the clash between Christian and Pagan times in Northern Europe. The transition between Norse to Norman, from Viking to Crusader. I think this concept is what makes so much of the romance of the Brazilian-nut pommeled swords as they are iconic representations of the end of the Viking-era and the beginning of the Medieval era...when men went from free men to either serfs or nobles under feudalism. This little to no profile tapered, type X, funny little nut pommeled sword for sure represents a very harsh but adventurous time in history.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Concerning "Brazil Nut" pommels / Oakeshott pommels type A/B
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: