Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Choosing my first Albion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Choosing my first Albion         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:

And then there are the classical type XIIs such as the Knight. As far as I understand it is somewhat less thrust-oriented.

As the Knight is the only one of your listed prospects that I own, I refrain from commenting on the others. The Knight might surprise you in terms of thrust. I have missed my water filled bottles in test thrusts and done considerable damage/ penetration to medium hard supports (garbage cans, etc.) An unarmoured opponent would not hold up well against a skilled thrust of the Albion Knight. It is pretty agile, maybe workable, but probably not optimal for I:33. I doubt the Solingen would be much more agile based on "published statistics."

For I:33, the Yeoman model has been torturing me to buy it. Impulsive likes and dislikes make me prefer it over the Sheriff . I think comfort in wearing a shorter sword like this and emphasis on closer in buckler work might cause you to like it more over time, even if you consider it to be a little short now.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Choosing my first Albion         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
What I'm looking for is a one-handed sword that is usable, even designed, for fighting on foot, a la I:33, with little or no armour, though I do not seriously study sword and buckler fighting right now. Looking at the comments for each sword on Albion's site, it seems that a type XIV is what they recommend. Among the NextGens, my preferred sword of this kind would be the Yeoman. However, I'm not sure I will like the short length of this sword.

Have you considered the Kingmaker or the Laird? I've handled both of these and their handling characteristics were outstanding. In fact, I preferred either of these over the Knight! The Kingmaker feels very light in the hand and thus, a very quick weapon. It's long and slender blade give it admirable reach in thrusting.

The Laird is a tad heavier. It's broad fullered blade (Type XII) makes it an ideal cutter. The Laird is also good for close-quarters / in-your-face fighting; one look at that crossguard and you'll see why! Eek!

Do let us know (and post pics!) of which sword you select. Bonne chance! Wink -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Mathieu Harlaut

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Vincent,

I live in Paris as well and I own 4 Albions swords: Poitiers, Castellan, Munich and Prince. Perhaps handling the Poitier and the Prince could help you make a choice.
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Mathieu,

That's a very kind offer! I would be grateful indeed if you could let handle some of your swords. A fine collection by the way... But perhaps we can continue this discussion via PM, and in French Wink

And to all the posters,

Thanks again for the precious advice... I'll let all of this mature a little more. I'll ask my friends and relatives what they think, too. Since most of them are not into swords at all, their "gut feeling" could be interesting Happy

And of course I'll post pictures of whichever sword I'm going to get!

Kindest regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Choosing my first Albion
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: