Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword by Joe Caswell Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Sword by Joe Caswell         Reply with quote

Joe Caswell, proprietor of Caswell Studios, recently sent me this sword for evaluation.

The entire sword can be viewed here: http://www.caswellstudios.com/SwordPages/Body...ailey.html

Joe sent me this sword at the suggestion of Gus Trim. Joe didn't really want an official review at this time, but did desire feedback from one of those internet geeks who's starved for acknowledgement.

Since Joe informed me that this sword is being discussed on other forums I thought that I would provide a few observations, since I doubt if any of these other commentators have seen this sword first hand. I found a lot to like about this sword, as well as a few things to dislike.

First the likes: The pattern welding is very nice, and the photographs don't do it justice. It's nice to see pattern welding of an historically accurate nature. Far too many makers seem to use pattern welding these days as an artistic statement, or just for aesthetic affect. It's good to see it done in an historic application. The enamel work on the swords furniture is very nicely done. When combined with the PW'd blade the effect is very striking. In this respect the sword is a real eye catcher. The blades edge geometry is very good. I was very suprised at this. Joe has been primarily a knife maker who is just now venturing into swords. As such, I wasn't expecting this kind of mechanical detail. Joe has obviously been doing his homework in this regard.

Dislikes: The swords mass distribution could be better. I have handled custom pieces that were far worse than this one, and I wouldn't go so far as to call it a boat anchor. On the other hand, with a change in the blades mass distribution this sword could have excellent dynamic handling qualities. As is I'd say it's average. The blades fuller could have been more distinct and less washed out. While the fuller is within historic parameters a crisp distinct fuller really would have set off the pattern welding. Joe stated that he is working on the proper machinery to enable him to do this. My main criticisms were with the scabbard. As with far too many modern scabbards this one is overbuilt. The leathers used are really heavier than needed, and the scabbard core is far too thick and bulky.

Joe was very receptive in regards to my observations, and I felt that it was a real leap of faith on his part in sending me this sword. I found far more to like about this sword than to dislike. In fact, if I had enough spare cash right now it probably wouldn't have gone back. Any deficiencies I observed were very common for a beginning sword maker, or an experienced one who hasn't had a lot of exposure to antiques. Joe has listed this sword on E-bay. I recommend it.

I think Joe Caswell bears watching.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes I was impressed with both the pictures I saw on his site as well as his seeming willingness to accept feedback. I too think that we may very well see some great things out of him, the ability seems to be there, it just sounds like he has a small learning curve still to work though.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good stuff Patrick,
I've got to ask,
If this sword had been made after you and Joe talked about your opinions on the blade profile,sizes,etc,
would/could it have gone back? Dumb question no doubt,
The hilt work looks superb,
And pattern welding, an art in itself,
Hey Russ,no doubt the curve will be pretty quick with the likes of yourself,Patrick, Gus,and so many other good people to call on for advice Cool
Andrew Winston

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is really a very beautiful weapon. The pattern welding is so attractive, the moreso because it's an historic pattern, and one done quite well.

Thanks for the succinct review, Patrick. I always enjoy reading your stuff.

"I gave 'em a sword. And they stuck it in, and they twisted it with relish.
And I guess if I had been in their position, I'd have done the same thing."
-Richard Milhous Nixon
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
Good stuff Patrick,
I've got to ask,
If this sword had been made after you and Joe talked about your opinions on the blade profile,sizes,etc,
would/could it have gone back? Dumb question no doubt,
The hilt work looks superb,
And pattern welding, an art in itself,
Hey Russ,no doubt the curve will be pretty quick with the likes of yourself,Patrick, Gus,and so many other good people to call on for advice Cool

Actually Lee, I think it's an interesting question.

The ultimate answer would be no. Why? Because I approach my sword commisions in two ways. First, I choose a smith whom I know to be knowledgeable. This is based on feedback from other collectors as well as the makers general reputation and experience. Second, the maker is an unknown, or relatively new craftsman. In the former situation I won't get obsessive about the details because I trust the maker. In the latter situation I'm curious as to the makers abilities, so I don't want to add to the mix, so to speak. So in either case I'm going to take what I get, and hopefully be happy with the end result. I certainly won't presume to tell the likes of Peter Johnsson and Vince Evans how to practice their craft. Nor do I want to cheat myself out of the experience of discovering a new talent.

There's also a third reason to consider. This is the fact that I don't consider myself to be an expert. Consequently, I don't think it's my place to dictate the swords mechanical attributes to the maker. I may have a good basic grasp of the ins' and outs' of sword mechanics, but I'm far from being a sword voodoo Jedi Master.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew Winston wrote:
That is really a very beautiful weapon. The pattern welding is so attractive, the moreso because it's an historic pattern, and one done quite well.

Thanks for the succinct review, Patrick. I always enjoy reading your stuff.

Thanks Andrew, feedback is always appreciated.

Jesse Zinn

PostPosted: Thu 19 Feb, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sword by Joe Caswell         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

Joe has listed this sword on E-bay. I recommend it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...tegory=475

I have found that specific swords are oftentimes difficult to track down on eBay...

Happy
Jesse

Jesse D. Zinn
North Carolina

“Hwæt wé Gár-Dena in geár-dagum
þéod-cyninga þrym gefrúnon,
hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon."
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Thu 19 Feb, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw this sword the other day on Ebay and didn't know what to think of it. It appeared to be more than the usual junk that is on there, but I just glanced at the pictures and passed by. The hilt really isn't my style as I'm into simpler designs, but some of the daggers on Joe's site that he has made are very nice. I'll be interested to see what he comes up with in the future.
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to say, it is a beautiful sword, although like others here my taste leans towards a more "simple" look. I am sure there will be some incredible pieces coming through Caswell studios. I have to say, though, I found this line (from the e-bay site) fascinating:

Quote:
This sword features the classic Celtic sword construction often associated with the Vikings.

I confess I don't know what that means-- unless we are speaking of the broad ascribing of Celtic "ancestry" to all European knightly swords. If anything, this particular sword makes me think of an Islamicised crusader sword-- although no historical examples leap to mind. Still, it is a work of art, no doubt. I look forward to seeing what else Caswell Studios has in store.

David
Joe Caswell

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi David,
Thanks for the kind words regarding this sword.
That part from the ebay description is referring to the specific pattern welding technique which includes multiple twisted/counter twisted billets surrounded by a continuous edge (made from a different billet) forge-welded down the sides and around the point.
I've observed that this is often referred to as "Viking" style because so many actual Viking swords are constructed this way. It's a style of pattern welding seen in migration pieces too and seems to have been the standard practice for fine swords judging from the many pictures of originals I've studied (The Sutton Hoo sword is also constructed in this basic fashion). Oakeshott in "The Archaeology of Weapons" describes this technique in Chapter Six wherein he associates it with Beowulf and says it goes right back to La Tene.
The motif I used on the pommel and guard were lifted almost directly from Sutton Hoo fittings. They involve a typical Celtic "Step Pattern" (There is another name for it, but I can't recall it offhand). From what I've read on Celtic art history, it was already an old technique by the end of the 7th century.
---Now that you mention it, I can imagine a similar pattern showing up in Islamic art. Makes you think, after all, you do see European medieval swords with Islamic arsenal markings now and then.
Now It's back to my cave to see if i can figure out a very perplexing machine problem involving 50 year old worm gear and maybe a sticky X axis.
Thanks for commenting on this sword. I do value everyone's observations!
Joe

Last edited by Joe Caswell on Fri 20 Feb, 2004 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank's Patrick,
Good answer's and explanation's,thanks,
Hi joe,nice work,
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your response-- very educational. I think Peter Johnsson once commented on pattern-welding being used during the La Tene (II?) period, which is interesting-- I had previously not associated this technology with the Celts.

In re: the pommel and guard, looking at it again, I can see how the guard in particular reflects the patterns used in the cloisonné garnet decoration on the Sutton Hoo sword's pommel. In any case, please realise I mean no offence when I say it still puts me in mind of a crusader's sword adapted to the use of a Caliph. Step pattern or no, for me it still has a whiff of the (Middle) East about it-- maybe because of the juxtaposition of Sutton Hoo work with the later type pommel Happy

The sword aside, following on from one of the posts above, I perused some of your daggers on your website-- they are indeed beautifully made.

It's great to have you on the forum-- please keep us updated regarding new projects.

Cheers,

David
Joe Caswell

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi again,
No offense taken. I appreciate the observations I've received and the time everyone's taken to make them. This is a good excuse to look at some neat original treasure. Here are the Sutton Hoo related pieces I used as a model. That button in the middle was the model for my pommel.

Glad you like the daggers. They're always a good platform for a statement (artistic statement, I mean).
Joe
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe,
Beautiful sword. Keep up the good work.

Any chance of you making a complete replica of the Sutton Hoo sword? Big Grin
Joe Caswell

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Matt,
I saw your posts on SFI about the Sutton Hoo sword and tried to jump in, but it's been about a week and I still don't have an activation email.
The only book (booklet really) I have that covers dimensions of that sword is called: "A Modern Replication Based on the Pattern-Welded Sword of Sutton Hoo" by Robert Engstrom, Scott Michael Lankton and Audrey Lesher-Engstrom. It's published by Western Michigan University. It's worth getting just to have around, though I would be wary of some of the historical conjecture (such as an assertion that knowledge of pattern welding was brought to Scandinavia by the Byzantines).
I'm sure the data on the sword itself (not to mention the pattern welding of the replica) is quite reliable. It records the length of the original blade at 720 mm (that's about 29 1/2 inches, I think). The tang is approximately 90 mm long. The blade's width at the hilt is 70 mm (about 2 3/4 inches). Maximum thickness at the hilt is 5 mm and minimum thickness in the fuller is 3.25 mm.
This is a wide blade and it's pretty wide all the way to the end. Combine this with the mostly wooden migration-style hilt, and I suspect you'll have a POB that's way out there.
It's probably not a heavy sword, but it might feel like it is. I think it would be risky to presume that the great Sutton Hoo sword would handle like a medieval form used 500 or 600 years later, but who knows?

The second sword blade I ever forged was a copy of Lankton's SH replica at the British Museum. It's a very tedious blade to make (This sort of pattern welding is all tedious, but this one's worse because of the eight bar center and offset twisted sections front to back). It took almost 300 pounds of propane to forge because of the slower forging equipment I used back then, but mainly because there are seven twisted sections per bar, each with four complete rotations. Each full rotation takes a separate heat. Then, there are eight bars plus spares, the forge running the whole time. Eeek!
Here are some more pix of the SH in the museum (I don't know who to credit for the pix):

Joe
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe,
You still haven't gotten an activation email? That's very strange. When I registered I had mine within minutes.

If you really want to get into the SH sword then you need to get "The Sutton Hoo Ship Burial Volume 2: Arms Armor and Regalia" by Bruce-Mitford. It was published back in (I think) 1978 by the British Museum and tracking a copy down is about as hard as finding the Holy Grail, but if you can, it's worth it.

I saw the SH blade you forged on your website and it is absolutely gorgeous. I made some disparaging remarks on SFI about the hilt being mislabeled, but the blade itself is a work of art. I would really love to see that blade with the correct hilt mounted. I wouldn't stop drooling for a month Big Grin

And the bottom pic (above) is from the British Museum website. I have seen the other one before, but I'm not sure where it originated.

Hope to see you on SFI soon,

Matt
Joe Caswell

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Matt,
I'll look for that book. I have a number of books that are very difficult to find. It's funny how building a decent library can be so difficult and expensive.
Yes, the hilt on that SH is, of course, all wrong. It's really just there so I could swing the thing around. I use that sword as sort of a tester (chopping branches and so forth). It's a pretty tough piece. The thought had occured to me to rehilt it. If that happens, I'll post some pix.
I received the activation email from SFI a few days ago. They must be backlogged or something.
Joe

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword by Joe Caswell
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic