Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Goth beauty in black Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Goth beauty in black         Reply with quote

Behold! My Albion Munich is completed, and she is a thing of dark, lethal beauty. My thanks and compliments to the magicians at Albion for creating this sword, and to Christian Fletcher, who made m'lady's fetching ballgown. Strong are they in the Force.

So, this is both my first Albion and my first commission with Christian, but I feel confident in saying that it will not be my last of either. I can't wait to see this blade in person.

Next up is the Knecht. Curse this linear flow of time! I want them all now! Big Grin

Attachment: 122.67 KB
[ Download ]

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What a great looking sword/scabbard! The black and silver is very striking. Congratulations on your new acquisition.
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Goth beauty in black         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
Curse this linear flow of time! I want them all now! Big Grin

LOL! I know how you feel. The sword looks great.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Jessen Klaus

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

She's a beauty !
and CF work are stunning as always.
Now I am even more eager to receive my own Munich, I have also settled for the wiregrip.

Best regards
Klaus

Swords on waiting list
The Hauptmann,The Markgraf,
The Munich,The Knech,The Maximilian & The Dane

Sword's I'm selling/trading
Triton from Odinblades
Shayan G

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Behold! My Albion Munich is completed, and she is a thing of dark, lethal beauty. My thanks and compliments to the magicians at Albion for creating this sword, and to Christian Fletcher, who made m'lady's fetching ballgown. Strong are they in the Force.

This warrants TWO superlatives:
1) That's the funniest post I've read in a long time
2) This may sound cheesy, but that's the most beautiful longsword I've ever seen...I'm usually more of a shamshir kind of guy (one might say I like mine curvy) but your new acquisition has changed how I see longswords entirely...I'm in love

Major congratulations on your acquisition!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice rig, Sam. Congratulations. I hope the wait for your next leave isn't too long!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
George Hill

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh that's a very fine peice. Allen is quite right aobut the color working so well. The first time I saw that grip style was on an MRL sword, which was not impressive.

This one is.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very attractive sword and scabbard and the pic makes it look very rich in colour and texture.
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
George Hill

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, how does the 'half wire grip' feel? The bottom hand being a material different then the top hand?
Any reflections or thoughts on why this might have been done in period?

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
Oh, how does the 'half wire grip' feel? The bottom hand being a material different then the top hand?
Any reflections or thoughts on why this might have been done in period?

I got to handle one at WMAW, and my impression is that you'd probably not notice the difference if you were wearing gloves/gauntlets. With bare hands, it was clearly noticeable, but not at all distracting. I can't really speak to the period reasoning, beyond aesthetics, however.

It's a very sweet sword. One of the best I've handled, I'd have to say. It's definitely on my shopping list. And now that scabbard has me drooling too.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful rig, Sam!

I own a Munich with the half-wire wrap. For me, I barely know the difference... but understand the disclaimer that I have fairly calloused hands from using swords all the time with my bare hands. Still, the wire is reasonably smooth as far as wire wraps can be.

As for historical reasoning, that's a good question. I don't know why they would wrap only that half with wire, but it seems to have been fairly common. Functionally it doesn't make a very big difference other then that it looks great.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I imagine Addison will chime in as well, but I just got to do some cutting with his new Mercenary which has the half wire grip. The wire wrap is of a fairly fine gauge so I didn't find the difference between the wire and leather at all distracting. You could feel the difference, but it was minor to my rather soft and un-calloused hands Happy
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Tony Brass

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What an elegant sword. It is tough to find a way to make one's sword personal, yet maintain a dignity about the weapon. You have acheived what looks to me like the perfect balance. That may just be YOUR sword. You will own others, but this one will be hard to rival.

Congratulations. I am now, unbelievably jealous.
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is so very beautiful Eek!

I'd like to add that to my collection some day.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
J. Erb

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is easily one of the most beautiful swords I've ever seen -- it's the perfect marriage of function and flair. I normally don't go for swords of this style, but that stunning black-and-silver color scheme is enough to make me jealous!

Congratulations! Big Grin

"What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause, to use their own knowledge against them?"
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats a wicked sword you have there.

Could you tease us with more pictures of it? At least then I could dream I had a sword like it and hope for the future...

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all for your kind comments. As you may have guessed, I am very happy about this weapon. Sadly, she will spend the next five or six months with swordsitters in California, until such time as I can come and exercise visitation rights. Greek law being what it is, I can’t bring her out to live with me. (To answer your question, Steve, the word is interminable. Cry)

But this is an occupational hazard I’ve grown accustomed to. I shall claim her in good time and then introduce her to some tatami mats. I promise that more pictures will follow when I do.

The more I look at the picture, the more I appreciate the design of both sword and scabbard. The sword’s proportions are just flawless, like the Bayerisches sword that inspired her design. And Christian’s scabbard fits it with the same understated elegance. I was a bit worried about how the trefoil chape cutout would translate from my sketch into steel, and how that would blend with the chape finial, but clearly I worried in vain. The entire package is exactly what it should be. Nothing necessary is left out, functionally or aesthetically, and nothing superfluous is added. I look forward to seeing my next two projects come to life in the hands of such master craftsmen.

Christian has the AT/CF Venetian Sidesword I bought here and is fitting it with a scabbard and a new grip, and he will have my Knecht as soon as Albion finishes it. Hopefully, they’ll all be done when I take leave again, and I can return to veritable revels of swordy goodness. Cool

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Goth beauty in black         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:

So, this is both my first Albion and my first commission with Christian, but I feel confident in saying that it will not be my last of either. I can't wait to see this blade in person.

Next up is the Knecht. Curse this linear flow of time! I want them all now! Big Grin

I was really hoping this one wouldn't sell so well. Not that I don't like this model-- quite the contrary! It is my hope that Albion doesn't sell all 500 of them before I can slap together $2500 to buy one...

Why $2500, you ask? Because I'd want it with the "gothic" style half-wrap, a scabbard, AND a black leather rainguard fixed to the hilt!

Envision it... Evil

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Goth beauty in black
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic