Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > retractable dagger? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gimmicky game weapons like that make me very :|

I know that despite our best efforts, someone is going to think it's real, and either try to make one, or worse, buy one, and actually attempt to make use of it as some sort of fancy PDW.

I remember something like a year or two ago when I saw the preview for that game for the very first time on some forum or another. It convinced me not to buy the game if it ever came to PC (I am quite the PC gamer.), through shear absurdity. It literally seemed as if someone wanted to play the proverbial "OMGNINJA" (if I may), in the Middle East. Lacking a rational expression for my confusion, things like this make me go "lol wut".

What's worse is that people would actually argue in favor of such a thing ever being practical, in any circumstance, ever. Simply messing with a switchblade will tell you the numerous weaknesses behind a multipart weapon that is supposed to take impact. What you are literally doing is taking a solid piece of metal and separating it into numerous, more fragile parts.

Even as a stabbing weapon, it blows my mind as to how you could pull that off. I can imagine blood getting into the working mechanism, or between the sliding parts of the blade, and really gumming things up. I cannot fathom the expense behind the construction, let alone the maintenance of that toy.

While I've nothing at the OP for his desire to use it in a fictional work, I am amazed at Mr. Lee's defense of this weapon-like object. It's almost like walking into SFI's newbie section. Even from a fictional point of view it makes little sense -- simply carrying a common dagger and making the stab, then simply discarding it somewhere would not only leave you +1 in objectives, but -1 in evidence on you, for probably less the cost.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Y. Kuipers

PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:

What's worse is that people would actually argue in favor of such a thing ever being practical, in any circumstance, ever. Simply messing with a switchblade will tell you the numerous weaknesses behind a multipart weapon that is supposed to take impact. What you are literally doing is taking a solid piece of metal and separating it into numerous, more fragile parts.
M.

In a way, arguing about this thing is the same as arguing about the practicality of the elephant-sized Final Fantasy-swords, but what the heck? It's just a fancy thing. :P

M. Eversberg II wrote:

Even as a stabbing weapon, it blows my mind as to how you could pull that off. I can imagine blood getting into the working mechanism, or between the sliding parts of the blade, and really gumming things up. I cannot fathom the expense behind the construction, let alone the maintenance of that toy.
M.

I could make you one for about 30,- Euros in material costs. And, say, about a 100 to 200 Euros in working hours. Cool
As for the blood, I could think of something, but the 1st one I built didn't have a lot of parts and can easily be disassembled and cleaned.
Oh and if you're not into knives, I could replace the blade with a fork, spoon or any other swiss army knife utensil. Laughing Out Loud
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it's safe to assume I'm into all sorts of (real) bladed things Big Grin

M.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
J. Erb

PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I feel compelled to put in my two cents. As has previously been mentioned, many of the gadgets / weapons in books, movies, and games are there simply because they're fun or look snazzy -- not because they're stictly practical. (The ridiculously huge swords of Final Fantasy that Mr. Kuipers mentioned are a prime example.) I wholeheartedly agree that a regular dagger would be far more sensible for an assassin's job, but would that be as "cool" as the wrist-mounted, retracable dagger currently under discussion? I imagine the game designers were, understandably, after something flashier, something "cooler," something fun that would appeal to today's gamers (who may not all be as erudite in the ways of the blade as some here Big Grin ). Ultimately, I don't think there's much to be gained by debating the virtues or shortcomings of a weapon conceived to look good in a video game.

Just my humble opinion. Happy

"What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause, to use their own knowledge against them?"
Arkaline Zurich

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Miller wrote:
To my knowledge that weapon is entirely fictional. While it is an interesting concept, I am sure that it would be an ineffective weapon in reality.

it is not fictional it is infact real i consructed one and its not at all hard to make post any one back if you would like to see or know how it works and it is highly affective because its able to be hidden in a cuff or sleeve, its sturdy ,not able to be ripped of your hand and it can be accessed quickly

Mad machanic
Douglas Huxtable

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Even from a fictional point of view it makes little sense -- simply carrying a common dagger and making the stab, then simply discarding it somewhere would not only leave you +1 in objectives, but -1 in evidence on you, for probably less the cost.

I agree with most of what you have said and you raise some interesting points but here I have to disagree with you Big Grin
When you say +1 in objectives you are correct in the fact that you have killed the target, but -1 evidence on you? No, no, I think what you may have overlooked if you dont mind me saying is the fact that everything you leave behind will be closely scrutinized.
Its obvious that in the timeframe we are speaking of there were no electron-microscopes and very little knowledge on DNA (if any atall) but, a specific type of dagger which may be marked/stamped by its maker could be traced and possibly to the person who purchased it.
Surely as an assassins job goes, he does not intend to be caught and to be honest Altair is pretty good at getting away, there would be no point leaving anything behind if you're quick enough to make the kill and scarper, if there is no murder weapon on the scene, they have to disarm and remove the deceased armour and weapons before they find what actually killed him.
This is because altair always strikes in the side of the neck where there is no armour etc.
When you say the blade would be easily broken/weak (i cant remember your precise words) I dont think that would be a problem even if it was weak/brittle because the fleshy area of the neck is hardly armoured atall (Hint, Hint, crusaders and saracens Razz)
Well thats my view. Big Grin

Humans trail a path of light, all land and space that hasnt been trodden by man is dark, all dark must be trodden to bring illumination, so that all others can follow the light that we bring.
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arkaline Zurich wrote:
Matthew Miller wrote:
To my knowledge that weapon is entirely fictional. While it is an interesting concept, I am sure that it would be an ineffective weapon in reality.

it is not fictional it is infact real i consructed one and its not at all hard to make post any one back if you would like to see or know how it works and it is highly affective because its able to be hidden in a cuff or sleeve, its sturdy ,not able to be ripped of your hand and it can be accessed quickly

That's quite nice but make sure you don't hurt yourself or others with it. The way it's been described here makes it sound very brittle as a weapon.

Douglas Huxtable wrote:
Quote:
Even from a fictional point of view it makes little sense -- simply carrying a common dagger and making the stab, then simply discarding it somewhere would not only leave you +1 in objectives, but -1 in evidence on you, for probably less the cost.

I agree with most of what you have said and you raise some interesting points but here I have to disagree with you Big Grin
When you say +1 in objectives you are correct in the fact that you have killed the target, but -1 evidence on you? No, no, I think what you may have overlooked if you dont mind me saying is the fact that everything you leave behind will be closely scrutinized.
Its obvious that in the timeframe we are speaking of there were no electron-microscopes and very little knowledge on DNA (if any atall) but, a specific type of dagger which may be marked/stamped by its maker could be traced and possibly to the person who purchased it.
Surely as an assassins job goes, he does not intend to be caught and to be honest Altair is pretty good at getting away, there would be no point leaving anything behind if you're quick enough to make the kill and scarper, if there is no murder weapon on the scene, they have to disarm and remove the deceased armour and weapons before they find what actually killed him.

Good point; I meant that you discard it somewhere other than the crime scene. Clean it up, at the very least.

Douglas Huxtable wrote:

This is because altair always strikes in the side of the neck where there is no armour etc.
When you say the blade would be easily broken/weak (i cant remember your precise words) I dont think that would be a problem even if it was weak/brittle because the fleshy area of the neck is hardly armoured atall (Hint, Hint, crusaders and saracens Razz)
Well thats my view. Big Grin

Not sure what century this is but any knight would have had a coif (separate or part of the hauberk), and I'm sure that counts as armoured.

M.

Justin Pasternak

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but the game takes place in 1191 A.D. (Third Crusade) and in the cities of Jerusalem, Acre and Damascus. Could that technology (of creating a small spring loading mechanism) even been feasible in the 12th century?

And here's a link to the secret society "The Hashshashin" that the main character belonged to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashshashin

Last edited by Justin Pasternak on Mon 03 Dec, 2007 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin Pasternak wrote:
I don't know if this has already been mention but the game takes place in 1191 A.D. (Third Crusade) and in the cities of Jerusalem, Acre and Damascus. Could that technology (of creating a small spring loading mechanism) even been feasible in the 12th century?

And here's a link to the secret society "The Hashshashin" that the main character belonged to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashshashin

Not sure but the first clocks are 13th to 14th centuries I think ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock

From this article it would seem that clock-like mechanisms were maybe even earlier: So that would mean having the skill to make fine gears with exacting precision and possibly some types of leaf springs as well as the design skills to figure out complex machines.

Would probably have been possible but very expensive and making more than one would have been a one by one thing since standardized precision part interchangeability wasn't something common until the early 19th century. ( Unless I'm wrong ? If some mass production methods were used a lot of delicate hand fitting of each part would still have been the norm )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
David Nash IV

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I seem to recall a History Channel special regarding some rather complex clockwork-like mechanisms devised by the ancient Greeks. Given that we're entertaining a fantasy here, I would think that fairly elaborate clockwork and spring mechanisms wouldn't be beyond the reach of a secret society that acquired the technology at some point, and set about reproducing it as needed.
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Would probably have been possible but very expensive and making more than one would have been a one by one thing since standardized precision part interchangeability wasn't something common until the early 19th century. ( Unless I'm wrong ? If some mass production methods were used a lot of delicate hand fitting of each part would still have been the norm )

I recall there being something in the early 1600's about standardized parts and musketry. I think it was brought to the colonial council by a slave attempting to earn his freedom.

M.

Richard Irons

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi everyone, great discussion on this topic. I myself have be intrigued by this type of weapon for about, since i bought assassins creed (4days ago). I have made a lego version, a bit diff to the one shown on the tube as it holds the blade slide in place with "pins" (for lack of a better term) and is released with finger movement. After making this, i thought that i would make a spring loaded one. I have no idea whats a leaf spring is Confused (9m guessing an old fashion suspension spring for a car) but if you take a close look at the concept art, you see (above the 3 sections) two cross shaped (XX) thingamajigs. If my theory is correct, then that is your spring. the center of these bars crossing is connected and each end is connected to another (XXXXXXXXXX) all able to move. if you were to apply presser to any of the outer v shaped joins (^ or v ) then the whole spring thingamajig moves and expands. if there were some spring (or in my case rubber band for testing WTF?!) then it would retract. all that would be required then would be a slightly more tension spring to pull the outsides in. wait a second you say, with the outer spring being more tense it would just expand and not go back, well that is what the pinky ring is for. moving it pulls the spring that draws the x shapes closer back out and locks it in place somewhere and thus compression and in comes the blade. to activate the pinky ring is again moved to release the locks holding the spring back and wa-la magic, the blade slides out. Have i confused anyone cause i think i gave myself a headache, well thats my 2 cents
I am Lord Richard !!!
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Irons wrote:
Hi everyone, great discussion on this topic. I myself have be intrigued by this type of weapon for about, since i bought assassins creed (4days ago). I have made a lego version, a bit diff to the one shown on the tube as it holds the blade slide in place with "pins" (for lack of a better term) and is released with finger movement. After making this, i thought that i would make a spring loaded one. I have no idea whats a leaf spring is Confused (9m guessing an old fashion suspension spring for a car) but if you take a close look at the concept art, you see (above the 3 sections) two cross shaped (XX) thingamajigs. If my theory is correct, then that is your spring. the center of these bars crossing is connected and each end is connected to another (XXXXXXXXXX) all able to move. if you were to apply presser to any of the outer v shaped joins (^ or v ) then the whole spring thingamajig moves and expands. if there were some spring (or in my case rubber band for testing WTF?!) then it would retract. all that would be required then would be a slightly more tension spring to pull the outsides in. wait a second you say, with the outer spring being more tense it would just expand and not go back, well that is what the pinky ring is for. moving it pulls the spring that draws the x shapes closer back out and locks it in place somewhere and thus compression and in comes the blade. to activate the pinky ring is again moved to release the locks holding the spring back and wa-la magic, the blade slides out. Have i confused anyone cause i think i gave myself a headache, well thats my 2 cents

I don't think I can stress enough that you should not attempt to make any sort of weapon without a background in the respective fields.

In this case, I stress you do not make one at all.

M.

Richard Irons

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ah, but you see, i need not make it, i design, the creation of such things is up to my smith :)god i love having a personal blacksmith, i just hate how he always manages to sharpen the blades too much Sad means no fighting with em cause 1 they go blunt again and 2 its dangerous fight wit sharp blades
I am Lord Richard !!!
Josh E

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for posting the concept art of altier's blade. it is helpful im my plans. and on a side note, i believe that a blade is not a blade unless it is sharp. but i do agree that re-enacting or dueling would be safer with a blunted edge.
Jorge Moreno

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: retractable blade         Reply with quote

i came to this site by accident i was looking for more information on retractable blades when i read some interesting views i have allready invented a blade that is retractable.i and completly safe i accualy have more than one design for i do custom metal fabrication if anyone is interested to see how it works i would be happy to show them...
n/a
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This lantern shield appears to have a retractable blade.

www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
B. Minton

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am a member of a local group called SCA, for those not familar with SCA it stands for the "society for creative anchronism", which means we attempt to accurately recreate the middle ages. We wear period correct clothing to events and have rapier and full contact sword and shield classes taught using texts from the time period. I have asked a few very historically informed teachers (with medieval history degrees to back them up) and they say that these were indeed real.
How they are used in the game however, is fictional. These weapons would only be spring ejected but would have to be manually reset and would take both hands to work the ejection system. They would be "dirty weapons" or used to win bar fights and the like. They were what I like to call "last stand I hope this works" weapons. lol If anyone has any info on how I could make one please message me.

Blood and dirt would gum up the action though making them seem impractical, but they were not to be used that often so dirt would be the biggest problem.
William P

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

interestingly as for the 'loosing a finger' problem. in assasins creed 2 (which takes place in late 15th C florence, and venice mostly, to give an idea of the time frame. you spend the last mission of the game trying to kill pope rodrigo borgia (yes. THOSE borgias) (and you then spend the entirety of the next game, 'assassins creed brotherhood' trying to take down the borgia family)
anyways..
being the late 15th C we have access to one very particular and very ingeneous italian. i.e leonardo da vinci. who repairs a broken hidden blade. and makes an adjustment so that it doesnt HAVE TO remove your finger he also gives you a second blade. which means you can do double the assasinations.
you also get a tiny attatched pistol... which can kill from a distance of at least 20 metres roughly speaking. and seems to be a possible breechloader.. since you never see ezio fumbling with a ramrod you just hear him hold and manipulate something on the pistol which he operates with both hands.

btw as for cost. yes it might technically be expensive in historical terms. bt even if it is. theyre not exactly given to everyone.
you can fight with the hidden blade in assasins creed 2 and brotherhood. but thats not due to the strength of the blade,..mostly since one 'counter kill' inolves crossblocking a downward stroke then stabbing the person in both eyes
but most of the increased fighting power of the blade *its still btw a fairly difficult weapon to use in combat, and only used alot in combat if your showing off. since a common tactic is to steal an enemies weapon

btw being that da vinci is an ally during the games, you of course get to try hisflying machine. wwhich curiously you maintain lift using hot air currents generated by pre planned fires.
Mick Jarvis

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

just go here

http://sinza.forumotion.com/

they have guys there that make them in all forms and if you really wanted to make on i am sure you woudl be able to get something there.

some designs are quite easy and others are quite complex

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > retractable dagger?
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: