Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Jousting and other injuries. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Konstantin Tsvetkov wrote:
Gentlemen, my respect!

I know why you are keep doing this. I spent fourteen years at sea on a salvage tugboat, have seen a lot, got something myself and now, sitting in the office and waiting for another package from Amazon I miss those scratches, bruises, frostbites and broken bones very much, because once I was happy doing a man's job there.

As for safe fencing, there is a rule in Guy Windsor's school: fifty push-ups for any accidental touch of any person in the salle with your sword. And it does work - six years of training of many people in several branches and never a single ambulance call. Once I scratched my son's finger with the cross guard of my sword in sparring ( for some reason he doesn't like wearing fencing gloves) and I did those fifty push-ups shouting: MY SON!? I CAN'T TOUCH MY SON!? Jured Kirby was there training with us that very day, I believe he had a lot of fun.

Interesting idea with the push-ups and I guess it does make the " point ", but I find that with my group anybody who even touches lightly a training partner stops right away and apologizes and asks if they they are all right before continuing ! Usually the one hitting feels a lot worse about it than the one hit.

Using a penalty may help reinforcing the idea but respect for training partners shouldn't depend on it.

Now this idea might have more value if dealing with very young or immature students or people taking up the activity with an overly competitive mindset ? But, if it works for some it may be a good idea: I'm just playing "devil's advocate " here.

Oh, and I can see a big difference between hitting due to a mistake and hitting due to a lack of care and an adrenaline rush. Wink Big Grin Obviously, someone enjoying hitting others, stupid or incapable of acquiring the necessary control would be quickly shown the door of the training group I belong to.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
[Oh, and I can see a big difference between hitting due to a mistake and hitting due to a lack of care and an adrenaline rush. Wink Big Grin Obviously, someone enjoying hitting others, stupid or incapable of acquiring the necessary control would be quickly shown the door of the training group I belong to.

Jousting for fun is a bit of a ´problem´ then Jean.
Now no jouster is out to húrt an opponent, yet knows he wíll as the object is to hit him hard enough to break a lance, possibly unhorse him.
Only the amoúnt of resulting damage is down to luck more than to skill.

Have you had a look at ´jousting canada´ on youtube? Shocking in more sense than one yet it wás intentional was it not?!

To clreaify: I do not critsize anything about is. Í am experiencing a whole lot of conflicting thoughts and emotions watching that sequence that I find unsettling. Mainly informative about mé.

hc
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Almost all of my broken bones and concussions have come courtesy my horses, most of those while working in the film industry. (Worker's Comp makes such things much easier to deal with, I must admit...) Cavalry charges are dangerous, no question but the adrenaline rush is worth it! Big Grin

I haven't managed any major injuries from jousting though (yet...) However, I did manage to experience a lance not breaking and slipping down my breastplate into my groin. That stopped my participation right then. Game Over! Lucky for me I was wearing a stout buff-coat and the heavy leather skirts saved me from Rod's fate, but it still darned near dropped me out of the saddle. I now have a pommel steel on my saddle to prevent such occurences in the future! Eek!

It's kind of funny that when I met Rod at the Sonora CA Joust a few years ago (I wasn't participating, just there to help out), we did the "Jouster's Handshake", i.e. left hands, since both of us were recovering from broken right wrists... Cool

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Bosman wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
[Oh, and I can see a big difference between hitting due to a mistake and hitting due to a lack of care and an adrenaline rush. Wink Big Grin Obviously, someone enjoying hitting others, stupid or incapable of acquiring the necessary control would be quickly shown the door of the training group I belong to.

Jousting for fun is a bit of a ´problem´ then Jean.
Now no jouster is out to húrt an opponent, yet knows he wíll as the object is to hit him hard enough to break a lance, possibly unhorse him.
Only the amoúnt of resulting damage is down to luck more than to skill.

Have you had a look at ´jousting canada´ on youtube? Shocking in more sense than one yet it wás intentional was it not?!

To clreaify: I do not critsize anything about is. Í am experiencing a whole lot of conflicting thoughts and emotions watching that sequence that I find unsettling. Mainly informative about mé.

hc

Peter my comments were mostly about longsword training as far as avoiding hitting is concerned. ( Hitting with protective equipment would be O.K. ).

I don't joust but I assume that hitting is the " game " with reasonable precautions, but it is a dangerous activity by definition. Now obviously these are recreated joust a " plaisance " and not at " outrance " i.e. fights to the death with sharp and stout spears ! Apart from being suicidal it would stop being a sport and be illegal duels. Wink Laughing Out Loud

With extreme sports of all kinds I think there has to be an understanding of the level of risk and an acceptation of that risk while at the same time keeping the odds in one's favour: If every time one participated there was a 50/50 chance of dying or crippling injury the level of risk would be so high that the sport would soon run out of participants !

Oh, and I haven't had a look at " jousting Canada " on Youtube: I guess I could GOOGLE it !

Rod Walker

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here you Jean, http://au.youtube.com/profile?user=RodericValcerre

I am in all these clips.

In the double unhorsing clip I am in the black harness coming towards the camera.

This is also me having a bad day at a show http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=L_SFEclHJPE They had put sand down straight on top of grass and it was very slippery out there. My little mare did a great job of staying upright and not killing me Big Grin I do love that little horse.

Enjoy.

Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

"Come! Let us lay a lance in rest,
And tilt at windmills under a wild sky!
For who would live so petty and unblessed
That dare not tilt at something, ere he die?"
--Errantry, John Galsworthy
Rod Walker

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin Holland and I will be running a recreated 14thC ded of arms next year. We will be using solid wooden lances fitted with steel coronels, grapers, vamplates. We will be running this joust as close to how they were actually run as we possibly can.
Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

"Come! Let us lay a lance in rest,
And tilt at windmills under a wild sky!
For who would live so petty and unblessed
That dare not tilt at something, ere he die?"
--Errantry, John Galsworthy
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rod Walker wrote:
Justin Holland and I will be running a recreated 14thC ded of arms next year. We will be using solid wooden lances fitted with steel coronels, grapers, vamplates. We will be running this joust as close to how they were actually run as we possibly can.

Yes, I notice " Coronels " and not sharp lance points and it would still be " a pleasance " joust but using the period
" safety equipment " of the best armour available.

In fairly sure or convinced that jousting armour was intended to make jousting as safe as it could be but as close to real fighting as possible: I'm assuming that period Knights and Nobles wanted to show their courage and prowess as well as practising their fighting skills but where not suicidal i.e. it was a sport for them also, not that the danger wasn't very real.

In other words: Period armour is probably the best protective equipment possible for a true period authentic joust.

Well unless one goes the high tech modern route: http://www.geekologie.com/2007/01/inventor_of...kes_re.php
Not suggesting you go this far ! I'm just linking to this as I remember seeing this guy in a " Michelin Man " armour fighting an actual grizzly bear ! Just though this was also interesting.

Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 28 Oct, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My company had just set up a rough jousting show, our captain almost killed himself with my lance that got stuck and almost penetrated his chainmail.

He came pretty close to be penetrated by the steel lance (rounded to 1 penny diameter but still very steely).

He was a tad disconcerted when he reported the accident.. good luck it was that the lance broke, being the shaft bad wood.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Jousting and other injuries.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: