Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > musket's power compared to Bow's? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next 
Peter G.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Accuracy of smoothbore guns         Reply with quote

Sorry to say-but anybody who claims an aimed kill at ranges above 200m with a smoothbore musket is dreaming.
After testing rifles/"brown bess"muskets Col George Hanger-expert marksman stated in 1814 :

"A soldiers musket, ... will strike the figure of a man at 80y, it MAY even at 100, but a soldier must be very unfortunate indeed who shall be wounded by a common musket at 150y, provided his antagonist aims at him. And as to firing at a man at 200y you may as well fire at the moon and have the same hope of hitting your target. I do maintain and will prove..that NO man was ever killed at 200y by a common musket by the the person who aimed at him"

In 1841 the British army tested the brown bess: the range was between 100 and 700y(acc to elevation)-at EVERY elevation there was between 100 and 300y variance.

Shootingtest at a target representing a LINE of cavalry(slightly taller then a single human):

100y : 53%hits(trained men) 40%(ordinary soldiers)
200y. 30% """ 18% """
300y : 23% """ 15% """

we a talking of a target about 3y high and 75-100y wide under best conditions--no fog of war, no ennemies shooting at you, no haste in reloading...

quote after "weapons and equipement of the napoleonic wars" by Philip Haythornthwaite[/b]
Jack W. Englund

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
I can't agree with much of that, Jack. Yes, Amerindians tended to use their bows differently than the English. However, a bow is a bow. Obviously, it depends on which Amerindian group you mean. Some may have used light bows, especially for hunting. However, all accounts agree that the Amerindians of Florida used extremely long and powerful bows. I mentioned examples from Cabeza de Vaca in an earlier post. By the way, he wrote that Amerindian archers struck with unerring accuracy out to 200 paces.

The Spaniards made no distinction between these weapons and those of the English. De la Vega wrote how de Soto's band included an Englishmen and Spaniard who'd been raised in England. Unlike the rest, these two used bows proficiently. De la Vega also wrote that none of the Spaniards could fully draw a captured Amerindian bow. Whether this included the two archers is unclear. Either way, it's a testament to the strength of Amerindian bows.

Benjamin, I respect your not agreeing with "much" of what I presented.( although I am unsure of the specific points in question.) Perhaps, I should have made a DISCLAIMER in relation to the info concerning Amer. bows. -- "The following information is a very general over view, presented in order to give a glimpse of the VAST VARIETY of bow types, material used, etc. Because of this, we MUST be VERY cautious in applying a report of bow types, accuracy, etc, used in an incident(s) by a specific "tribe, in a specific region, to be representative of Amer. bows, accuracy etc used in other regions of this huge country."
NOTE - VERY few "early" Amer. bows, actually have survived (even in fragments) . And those that do, may or may not represent the usage applied to them..(IMHO)

The following is a "brief example of this "complex" question.
Here in the Pacific NW ( S. BC WA, N.ID) there a # of different "tribal" groups. Here are a few -
1." Coastal Salish "(coast of WA & S. BC)
2."Plateau" Salish (Central & NE WA)
3."Flathead" (NE WA & N.ID) (note - although they were "Plateau Salish, because of their close contact with the Kootenai & N. "plains tribes, they had their own "uniqueness")
4. Kootenai ( S. BC, NE WA, N. ID)
5. "Nez Perce" ( SE WA, SE ID.)

Bows used in hunting & conflicts ( these are simply "isolated" examples & may or may not portray the overall reality.)
1. Conflict between an early Brit. trade ship (1600s). The ship was attacked by a "several of war canoes" The natives launched a series of arrow volleys, Only minor injuries were inflicted on the Brits (due to weak bows & inaccurcy) The Indians were desimated by the Brits ( Muskets & Swivles) Note bows may have been a type known as "paddle bows" because of their unique design)
2. Report by David Thompson ( Famous NW Co. explorer !805 - 1812) Tribes along the S.Central Columbia River (Salish) These indians were poor hunters(1 reason was because the bows they used were of very poor quality when compared to other "Plateau" Salish.
3. NE Plateau Salish & Flatheads,, according to Thompson, had well finished bows that could easly dispatch a deer @ "close range"
4.Kootenai, according to Thompson, had very well made & powerful enough to dispatch a Bison @ close range (?) & were excelent marks men.He also reports a battle between the Kootenai & Blackfeet ( the 2 groups started by taunting each other. ( about 100 yds apart) & then loosed arrows. Several were killed & the Kootenai withdrew.
5. Nez Perce were very good hunters & warriors. They used a variaty of bows, but one interest, was a "composite bow" (wood backed with horn.) Wether this bow was used in warfare, an eye witness account states that a hunter (with this bow) approach to within a "few" feet of a bison, shot , and the arrow went through the animal
Note - although there are examples of "long bows" ( no knowledge of power or accurcy) & "recurves", The major style was a type of " short Flat bow" The power of these bows ranged from "weak, to guite powerful, with majority in between.(40-60#s (??) Accurcy varied, but it seems to have been good (@ least with some tribes) but was "limited to under 100 yds ( more often quite closer)

BTW Yes a "Bow is a Bow" but then an SUV is an SUV, but my Subaru, is not a Humvee,

Jack
Jack W. Englund

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I appologize for this post, but I have posted this in reply to an email that requested it.
The quivers are Fox & wicker copied from surviving examples
The arrow is a (primative style" (dyed goose featers. note- the field tip is required @ most compititions, but I do have both obsidian & steel ("trade tips") & use them when allowed.
the top bow is a copy of a Shawnee bow, made by a local bow maker. Ithe wood is osage orange & the pull is 45#s ( this was a prize won @ a regional match) (just got lucky that day)
the other bow is the bow I reg. use. This bow was made for me by a close friend & well respected bow maker in MT. the wood is osage orange with a 45# pull

The bottom picture shows this type of bow being used @ a recent meet @ my black powder/muzzle loading clubs "trail walk" range. The target was a 3D deer, in the brush, about 30 yds away. "kill shot was 8" in diamiter.
jack

Attachment: 100.2 KB
Copy of Untitled-1a.jpg

Attachment: 57.41 KB
Copy of h.jpg

Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, different Amerindian groups used different kinds of bows. However, I'm tired of people dismissing Amerindian bows as weak and inferior. Your overview misses an important part of the picture. From the Spanish account I mentioned, it's obvious the Amerindians of Florida used bows every bit as powerful as English bows. According to de la Vega, two English-trained archers even fought against these Amerindians. De la Vega made no distinction between English and Amerindian weapons. He considered both deadly. They weren't identical, of course, but they served the same purpose.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Benjamin. Those bows that were intended for warfare were every bit as heavy as those in England. Colin Taylor reckons that there is a marked decline in the strength and quality of AmerIndian bows around the same time that firearms are introduced.
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way, de la Vega also noted that the natives of Florida used bows as tall as the men that carried them. They used an armlet of feathers to protect the arm from the string's slap. Their bows weren't made of yew, (de la Vega mentioned oak) but otherwise they sound very similar to the English weapon.
Jack W. Englund

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, Obviously I am a "glutton for punishment", but I am again going to poat some of MY PERSONAL observations.for concideration

Peter's post on the accurcy is, as far as I can tell, is accuate as to the "Bess's" General performance. But does it truley reflect the the POSSABLE accurcy of the "Bess" ????
Here are some thoughts, you draw your own conclutions.
1. Pattern of "bess" used ?? ("Short Land Pattern (42" bbl.), but most likely it was the "Indian Pattern" ( 39" bbl.))
2. condion of guns (how long in service) ??
3. Ammo used ( standard issue paper cartridges or hand loaded patced round balls etc)
4. Test preameters ( combat rate of fire etc.???)

Can we test the accurcy of the original (1800 - 40s or earlier) ?? Has this been done using original guns in good or excelent condition ??? If so, then we may to have a more accurate base to opperate from.

Here is an example of the accurcy of a modern reproduction.
Here in the PNW,almost all our "rendezvous events, there is a "trade gun" event ( the def. of a "trade gun" for this type of event is that firearm used, must a pattern in existance prior to 1840. A flint lock & have no rear sights. ( most of the guns used are "trade guns" or fowlers ( such as my Mortimer 12ga - .72 cal) but "Besss" often are entered.
This example is of a resent region match, in which a Bess ( long Pattern) not only competed, but was in the fnal "shoot off)
NO, I was not in this select group, in fact I was eliminated early on.
First the course of fire - rnd.1 = 8" steel target @ 50 yd, 3 shots - 2nd rnd.= 10" steel target @ 75 yd , 3 shots - 3rd rnd = 12" steel target @ 100 yd., 3 shots - 4th rnd. = 18" steel target @ 100 yd., 3 shots. 5th rnd + 24" @ 150 yd, 3 shots, - 6th rnd = same target @ 200 yd. 3 shots - Shoot off = Ox cyl. ( appox. 8" diam. x 5' tall @ 300 yd, 3 shots then those who had the top # of his shot until they missed.. Did the "bess hit the target, YES, 1 0ut of 3
NOTE - guns were loaded "rifle style" patched round ball, powder load measured. Guns were alowed to be cleaned between rounds ( in the "shoot out" you could clean between each shot ) BTW, the winner, used a custom made fowler, sim. to mine & "nailed it 6Xs, if memory serves me correct. Also note, most these men (&women, 2 made it into the 6th rnd) shoot smooth bores reg. & a couple of the men shoot them exclusively.
So there it is. You draw you own conclusions
respectively, Jack
Shayan G

PostPosted: Thu 22 Nov, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An article on the Brown Bess recently appeared in RifleShooter Magazine, including a brief history and modern testing of an antique.
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifle...index.html

Here is the relevant portion
Quote:
An inspection of the targets produced some surprises. At 100 yards only three balls struck the board at the bottom, with a spread of 11 1/2 inches--a grouping that was caused more by chance than any other factor. At 50 yards we had a 100 percent hit rate with a grouping of 20 inches, and at 25 a deadly eight-inch spread of all five balls. Basically, up to 50 yards, if someone were firing at you with a Brown Bess it looks like you were pretty much toast.
Peter G.

PostPosted: Fri 23 Nov, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@Jack:
as is stated-the test was perfomed by 2 groups of soldiers.trained and ordinary with standart Brown Bess muskets-the pattern is not mentioned.

As you stated-the reproductions where loaded with patched balls eliminating the windage (about 1/20" in the original gun), where cleaned between the shoots AND where used by trained people.
The original guns where mostly not very well made-the indian pattern inferior to the short land pattern, there was no patch, there was no aiming device AND the soldiers had usually no shooting training at all prior to battles!
In the british army the line infantry received 30 round balls/man/year and 70blanks/man/year, the last ones for loading practice-the austrian army allowed 6 (six!) per man per year.
Aiming was not taught at all-you just pointed the gun in the general direction of the ennemy and fired.

Shooting tests by other armies came out with similar results:
in 1800 french trained soldiers fired at a target 1.75x3m : at 75m 60%hits, at 150m 40% hits, at 225m 25%
Prussian tests with the "new prusian musket" indicated that a target 6feetx100feet was hit by 66% at 100 paces and 50% at 200 paces.

All these tests where performed under ideal conditions without enemy fire, without fear, without hate in reloading.
In battle, the results where much worse, in these days, the guess was that you need double the bodyweight in lead to kill a soldier.

I havenīt seen any shooting tests of 14c arcebuses but i wonder if they where much better-in a fight between trained bowmen and trained 18c soldiers i would bet on the bowmen-mostly because of the much higher rate of fire..

In my opinion, the cause why the musket replaced the bow is mostly a question of nr and training-it takes years of training till you hit anything with a bow-and till you are strong enough to use it for more then 5-10 shoots-it takes about 2 days to train everybody to load and shoot with a musket-and not much physikal strength.
Jack W. Englund

PostPosted: Fri 23 Nov, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter G. wrote:
@Jack:
as is stated-the test was perfomed by 2 groups of soldiers.trained and ordinary with standart Brown Bess muskets-the pattern is not mentioned.

As you stated-the reproductions where loaded with patched balls eliminating the windage (about 1/20" in the original gun), where cleaned between the shoots AND where used by trained people.
The original guns where mostly not very well made-the indian pattern inferior to the short land pattern, there was no patch, there was no aiming device AND the soldiers had usually no shooting training at all prior to battles!
In the british army the line infantry received 30 round balls/man/year and 70blanks/man/year, the last ones for loading practice-the austrian army allowed 6 (six!) per man per year.
Aiming was not taught at all-you just pointed the gun in the general direction of the ennemy and fired.

Shooting tests by other armies came out with similar results:
in 1800 french trained soldiers fired at a target 1.75x3m : at 75m 60%hits, at 150m 40% hits, at 225m 25%
Prussian tests with the "new prusian musket" indicated that a target 6feetx100feet was hit by 66% at 100 paces and 50% at 200 paces.

All these tests where performed under ideal conditions without enemy fire, without fear, without hate in reloading.
In battle, the results where much worse, in these days, the guess was that you need double the bodyweight in lead to kill a soldier.

I havenīt seen any shooting tests of 14c arcebuses but i wonder if they where much better-in a fight between trained bowmen and trained 18c soldiers i would bet on the bowmen-mostly because of the much higher rate of fire..

In my opinion, the cause why the musket replaced the bow is mostly a question of nr and training-it takes years of training till you hit anything with a bow-and till you are strong enough to use it for more then 5-10 shoots-it takes about 2 days to train everybody to load and shoot with a musket-and not much physikal strength.

Good info. & summery.

I too have not seen any tests on 14c Arcebuses, but from what little I know about them, I, like you
, would go for the bowmen.

BTW, if you are interested in the developement of firearms in England, I would highly recomend this book as one that should be read.
"Enlish Guns and Rifles" by J.N George ( the Stackpole Company - Harrisburg PA - 1947) His chapt.1 covers firearms in Tudor England
NOTE- This book is out of print, but pm if you are interested in sources, (might want to try & get a copy from your Lib. to look @ 1st, because it is a little "spendy" If you are interested in specific genres, I also have a few "ideas"

Jack
Jack W. Englund

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some pics you might enjoy. These were sent to me by a researcher @ Vancouver & are from a museum collection.
The info I was sent stated that they were taken in the 1880s. of 2 "remote, reclusive "tribal" groups (note as late as 1900, there still were remote pockets of native Amer.s that "clung" entirely to the "old ways ( see yshi indians). If these 2 individuals are actually wearing & carrying the gear they, or their fathers carried in the early 1800s, then we have a glimpse of what the early white explorers may have encountered in some regions, in the late 1700s- early 1800s (1st contact ???)
Left hand pic -Geo. area - Mt. Shasta ( N.CA ) note "armour. Plus bow style & arrows. Rt. hand pic, - Geo. area - high Mtn.s of SW ID. reported to be from a small group of Shoshone. refered to as "big horn sheep eaters. note different bow style.

Jack

Attachment: 116.45 KB
Untitled-1.jpg

Stephen Hand

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter G. wrote:
it takes about 2 days to train everybody to load and shoot with a musket-and not much physikal strength.

What about the large number of days it takes to competently learn drill? The success of European armies against other armies, even those armed with muskets was primarily due to drill and volley fire. In short, the Europeans learned to use missile weapons like they used heavy infantry for the preceding 2000 years, to close and deliver the maximum damage in the shortest possible time to break the enemy. This is the western way of war.

After the advent of muskets armies did more training, not less.

Stephen Hand
Editor, Spada, Spada II
Author of English Swordsmanship, Medieval Sword and Shield

Stoccata School of Defence
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Hand wrote:
Peter G. wrote:
it takes about 2 days to train everybody to load and shoot with a musket-and not much physikal strength.

What about the large number of days it takes to competently learn drill? The success of European armies against other armies, even those armed with muskets was primarily due to drill and volley fire. In short, the Europeans learned to use missile weapons like they used heavy infantry for the preceding 2000 years, to close and deliver the maximum damage in the shortest possible time to break the enemy. This is the western way of war.

Good point ! Maybe the difference is on the need and emphasis on individual skill on the one hand versus skill in acting in a coordinated way i.e. drill and formation warfare.

At times optimum efficiency is due to a bit of both: A " skilled " English longbowman would have considerable skill at hitting single targets in a snipping or skirmishing mode but also skill in coordinated volley fire at medium and long ranges.

In another period Roman legionnaires would have some skill in individual fighting with their gladius and maybe some decent level of accuracy with their pillum, but they would excel in moving as one and changing formations quickly and effectively.

Some level of individual weapons skills are needed for formation combat but " elite " levels of individual skills help the individual soldier mostly if he is forced to fight in small groups or in isolation: When shoulder to shoulder the good and the best are about equally effective/useful and their steadiness and cohesion is more important than individual skill.

The above is just my theory based on the previous post and not a statement of fact. ( But I might be right. Wink Laughing Out Loud )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dakao Do

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Energy from different weapon attacks         Reply with quote

Hi, all.

I just came across this lengthy thread, and apologize if I missed something that came earlier.

I don't see any citations or references to:

Williams, Alan. The Knight and the Blast Furnace: A History of the Metallurgy of Armor in the Middle Ages and the Early Modern Period. Brill, 2002.

It's a hard book to find (and pricey at $270), but pp. 918-949 discuss the effectiveness of various attacks on various kinds of armor.

A number of tests and sources were used, which I won't describe in depth here. If you have bones to pick with the data, please find it in a library or ask for further info (i.e. check / compare your facts and sources). I don't care to retype 31 pages without cause. Happy Dr. Williams should be familiar to many forumites as an expert on armor, and while he is not infallible, he has certainly done more research than the average forum poster.

On p. 945, you will find a table describing typical energy offered by various attacks:

Ax, sword 60 - 130 J

12c longbow 80 J

13c crossbow bolt 100-200 J

14c handgun 250 J
(serpentine powder)

15c Hussite handguns 500 - 1000 J
(serpentine powder)

16c arquebus 1300 J
(serpentine powder)

(corned powder) 1750 J

1525+ musket 2300 J
(serpentine powder)

(corned powder 3000 J

Bear in mind that:

1) power drops off as an inverse (square?) function of distance traveled. Williams cites Krenn's experiment as demonstrating that a musketball loses 5% of its velocity within 8 m of the barrel.

2) the cross-sectional area of impact hugely affects penetration. (duh!) An arrow requires far less energy than a crossbow bolt, which in turn requires less energy than a blunt musket ball to penetrate armor.

The data on armor and penetration spreads across half a dozen tables. Some highlights:

Modern impact tests (energy required to defeat the armor):

[Due to my crappy formatting, the categories are for blade, lance, arrowhead, bullet)

Modern mail >200 J >200 J 120 J 400 J
15th century mail 170 J 140 J 120 J -
buff leather 70 J - 30 J -
horn 120 J - 50 J -
cuir-bouilli 90 J 30 J - -
"padding" 80 J 50 J - -
jack 200 J - see mail -

The mail was backed with the jack. The jack material consisted of at least 27 layers of linen. It's fully described in section 8, apparently, but I couldn't find it on a quick pass.

The padding (to simulate that under plate armor) was 16 layers of linen.

For plate steel of thicknesses 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm:

Arrows 55 J 175 J 300 J 475 J
Bullets 450 J 750 J 1700 J 3400 J

Incidence angle of 30 degrees increased energy requirement by 20%, 45 degrees by 40%.

All these numbers are rough -- in discussion, Williams hypothesizes that an exceptional archer could achieve 120 J, or a strong man a two-handed strike of 200 J (i.e. soldiers or weapons in the top 5% of their field have a shot at doubling the average power). Otherwise, you can play with the numbers above in historical configurations of armor and pit them against various types of weapons. e.g. a man-at-arms of the War of the Roses in jack, chainmail, and brigandine would have a torso target fairly impervious to normal bows / crossbows (and swords). Handguns and heavy arbalests might have an even chance of barely penetrating.

Other discussions of high vs. low training requirements for archers vs. crossbowmen / hangunners, and etc. have been touched upon.

Hope this sheds a little light on the subject.[/i]
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Nov, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dakao,

Good post. I think Williams work is an invaluable resource for armour and early hand guns. That said, the reason I think no one posted his chart's info as regards to traditional missile weapons is that for crossbows and bows is way off. If you look at the Springalds and great crossbows by Liebel the lowest joules offered by a simple crossbow for war are about twice the ones Williams used as his upper end figures at 392 joules (compared to 100-200 that is a big difference), his two foot crossbow being 981 joules. He also seems ot have used a pretty weak bow (the footnote mentions 70 pounds-whihc is this is the case is entirely unacceptable as a variable in this type of test.). Joules for a warbow style bow start around 111-134 in the Great Warbow, a 31-54 joule increase which I assume would make a huge difference as well. I have little doubt that his gun measurements are closer to where they should be. I just do not think he spent enough time trying to get decent results with a crossbow. His armour values might be done well but somewhat unrealistic as well. A jack of 27 layers of linen is NOT under armour but stand alone armour. A under armour should be about 10 layers, whihc I believe his under armour was about twice that in thickness. I think in general his testing was helpful as it provided some variables to examine but then the question comes about are the variables all correct... I highly doubt that his assumptions in the end are correct because the very weak crossbow and bow he chose for values.

I wish he would have gotten more thicknesses of medieval armour but he did a great job just in looking at the metal of armour iteself whihc made and makes the book totally worthwhile to me still.

RPM
Dakao Do

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Aha! Not infallible indeed!         Reply with quote

Thanks for the perspective, Randall!

Ever since I got this book, I've wondered about other comparisons / tests.

This is still somewhat relevant to muskets vs. bows, but I may be wandering a bit far afield / off-topic.

Upon further checking, I agree with you re: armor. You'll note that, on p. 928, Williams states that the plate steel results are extrapolated from a test with a 2.5 mm thick plate of mild steel with hardness 152 VPH.

For reference, Williams earlier states (pp. 17-18) that:

pure iron has ~80 VPH
medieval iron (with slag and impurities) 100-180 VPH
steel 180-260 VPH
slack-quenched (partially air-cooled or oil-quenched) steel ~300-400 VPH
Full-quenched (water-quenched) steel 800+ VPH
Tempered full-quenched steel 400-500 VPH

Note that the harder the metal, the more brittle. From personal experience, I can say that untempered full-quenched bits of steel can snap like crackers (an expression I learned from David Wise, an SCA armorer in Houston).

OK, back to Randall's post... we've raised the concern that Willams' energy figures for bows of all types are low -- actual war weapons are estimated to be more powerful by 100% - 500%.

And I've shown above that Williams himself shows that medieval plate armor was 2-3 times harder than the steel plate tested. I don't know the first thing about metallurgy, and will not speculate that there's a directly correlating increase in energy absorbed. But the reader can do the math for himself as a rule-of-thumb (we might say for now that the two upward revisions even each other out).

Most medieval plate armor was 1-2 mm thick, and a little thicker on breastplates and helms. Over time, moving into the 16th century, I remember Williams stating that the hardness of armor declined as armorers cranked out more lower-quality breastplates to equip larger armies. They discovered empirically that using thicker steel increases protection more cheaply than hardening it. And what does a government contractor care about the burden of an individual soldier, who's not paying for the armor? So Renaissance breastplates were often unhardened, or little better than iron, and were much heavier to compensate. I have no idea what pages that's on.

Soldiers, being who they were, quickly abandoned the uncomfortable breastplates on long marches. This contributed to the events described in previous posts, wherein buff leather and finally mere uniforms became the standard for protection.

So I guess to more directly address the question of muskets vs. bows:

Plate armor seems to be 4-8 times more effective against blunt bullets than against pointy arrows / bolts, for a given amount of energy transmitted by the projectile (a function of mass times velocity or whatever).

Therefore, guns had to develop to the point where they exceeded the energy of arrows / bolts by *more* than 4-8 times. If we take my previous post's info combined with Randall's info on bow power, that means this didn't happen until well into the 16th century. History would seem to bear this out.

This only applies to simple penetrative power. Rates of fire, training time required, etc. have already been discussed by others more thoroughly than I can.

So pre-1500s, bows > guns. Thereafter, the logistics of guns took over. However, it wasn't until the 1800s that gun rates of fire and accuracy (due to rifling) made them superior to bows in every way. As with many such arguments (knights vs. samurai, pirates vs. ninjas, etc.), a serious answer comes down to "It depends." Happy

Is that a fair summary of the bows vs. guns argument?

(As it so happens, Williams talks about this effect, wherein the bow technology curve matured earlier at a lower technology level, and peaked in the 1400s. The gun technology curve began in the 1300s, began challenging bow tech in the 1500s, and only continued to grow, outlasting the Renaissance.

I'd say it hit a black-powder peak by the 1800s. The overall gun tech curve only began to level out in the late 1900s, though, no?)

I particularly liked the part about how European warfare returned to a point in the 1700s where bows were theoretically superior to guns again (in terms of RoF, range, and required lethality), but were impractical for reasons of training and logistics.

Great discussion, and I hope I've helped more than I hurt.

Last edited by Dakao Do on Sun 25 Nov, 2007 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Peter G.

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Hand wrote:
Peter G. wrote:

I know it took times to drill the soldiers-iīm only refering to the use of the weapon itself-to use a warlongbow in combat it takes years of training and great physikal strengh-the torsomuscels where that strong that you could see distorsions on the upper arms und the vertebrae-something that you do not see when using fire arms.

The fight in tight formation is nothing new in western warfare and has nothing to do with the invention of firearms-the knights did fight in tight formation"conrois" (the hollywood concept of singletons fighting duels in a battle is rubbish) and the footsoldiers did too.
When the use of footsoldiers did become more important in warfare and the first standing armies appeared (e.g. the communal amries of the flandern cities) the drill and training started-not as much as later because the members of these communal armies where parttime soldiers only-but train they did.
Same is true for the helvetian army. (For more details read "The art of warfare in western europe during the middle ages" by J.F. Verbruggen)

The standart recruit training in the 18th c was about 2 month and considered mostly of formation drill and some volley shooting-like said above the allowance to learn volleyfire was from 6-70 rounds/year).

Real field training like the knightly tournaments where more then rare-tactical or strategical training for officers simply did not exist.

What i tried to show(not beeing native-english-speaker i probably missed) is that you can train a regiment of musketeers far faster then a regiment of bowmen.
To create a regiment of bowmen you need 1000men skilled at shooting warbows who have trained since their childhood days-then you may give them 2 months of formation drill if you want-if you donīt have 1000 trained bowmen-forget it.
To create a regiment of musketeers just take 1000men and train them 2 months-if they see a firearm for the first time in their live-doesnīt matter.

For firearm-regiment there is an almost endless supply of recruits-every man that can walk and lift a gun is a potential soldier-for bowmen, the supply was/is very very short, for continental europe, there was none...
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter G. wrote:
tactical or strategical training for officers simply did not exist.

Hmmm...this sounds a bit odd, since I thought most medieval nobles and gentlemen would have been trained in the rudiments of strategy and tactics since their childhood. The individual ability of each to apply these teachings, of course, is an entirely different matter.

But you might be talking of 18th-century officers instead--in which case I still wouldn't be prepared to believe that strategic and tactical training for officers "did not exist." It is true that the system of the purchase of commissions tended to fill the officers' barracks with large numbers of men who had little or no prior practical military experience, but there simply had to be some nobles and cadets of old military families who began their studies in the military sciences quite early in their lives. The writers and publishers of gunpowder-age military manuals did not write for nothing--they had a fairly strong market demand for their products, and not all of this demand came from pedantic armchair generals.

That aside, I have to wonder about the difference between training and "training." I guess it is fairly well established that a man can be trained in the use of a musket or arquebus from zero to reasonable proficiency within a relatively short amount of time, after which he'd be moving on to formation drills and similar "soft skill" exercises. I've never heard of bowmen being trained in this way, however, with the probable exception of the Janissaries--and we know that the Janissary candidates were taken from their homes at a very young age and then subjected to a years-long regime of training, where the archery element is difficult to isolate from other soldierly skills. (Did a similar training system exist for the ghilman/Mamluks?) Other bowmen seemed to have mostly acquired their archery skills before they joined their respective armed forces. The longbowmen, for example, were required by royal laws to train as civilians and then officially picked up by the levies/indentures/whatever only after they had become reasonably proficient bowmen. So perhaps there is a point about the notion that the use of firearms is "easier" to learn than archery, at least from the viewpoint of military recruiters who would now be able to recruit total newbies and turn them into competent soldiers rather than having to look specifically for people who have learned their basic skills at arms beforehand.
Peter G.

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Peter G. wrote:
tactical or strategical training for officers simply did not exist.

But you might be talking of 18th-century officers instead--in which case I still wouldn't be prepared to believe that strategic and tactical training for officers "did not exist."

As late as 1811 young officers took dancing lessons prior going to the war in the peninsula, because they thought this would be the most needed skill.(see "Wellingtonīs Rifles" by Mark Urban)
About the quality of the training:"when officers from home came out to us, we found them too frequently impragneted with all the punctilos enforced by the horse guards [...] All this had to be changed [...] at length they began to discover how the art was carried on[..]they had much to unlearn as well as much to aquire, before they could make themselves useful" ("Napoleonic cavalry" by P.J. Haythornthwaite).

When arriving at the war, the light cav. had no idea how to perform their main role-to shield the army "any idea of outpost duty was considered absurd" ("diary of a cavalry officer" Lt.Col. W. Tomkinson.

Some leading officers hadnīt the simpelst idea how to command their troops--one Col. managed to manouvre half his regiment into the water when performing on the beach--and had to resign his command the very day..
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those quotes only apply to the Brittish army, they have no value what so ever as far as the other European armies are concerned. Infact by the early 19th Century there were numerous military academies in Europe such as the French Ecole Militaire or the Swedish War Academy located at Karlberg Castle. But even before such academies were established noble and non-noble officers were schooled in the art of war by various means. Commonly young men were apprenticed to the leading armies of the day in order to gain military experience.

Add to this the numerous military manuals or 'war books' produced from the 15th Century onward which taught tactics, siege craft, logistics and military law.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > musket's power compared to Bow's?
Page 7 of 8 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: