Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > musket's power compared to Bow's? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next 
David Evans

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: English Civil War Musketry         Reply with quote

From my own reading of actions during the 1640's in England I think I know why muskets have such a poor reputation for accurracy. I'll agree with Mr.Hand that 50 yards is a surefire hit, at 100 yards I average 4 out of 5 on a man sized target, which isn't bad.

However, it does seem that the tendancy, certainly in Britain, was to open fire at quite ludicrous ranges. One example I can think of is an action in Lincolnshire in 1643 where a body of Horse under one of Cromwell's Troop Commanders attacked a party of royalist musket, from sighting to charging to making contact the royalist musket fired at least three times. Sadly no description of the method by which the musket fired is given, but allowing for the speed of moving Horse in a controlled Charge, Trot, Canter, and possible gallop in the last few minutes then that implies that the musket started firing at well over a 100 yards. I'm sure someone else can give an idea of how much ground a Horse can cover at each pace. If the musket were firing by ranks I'd suggest about 30 seconds at the quickest to change ranks, by volley, then at least 20 seconds just to reload, and about a minute to form ranks into a volley formation.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An article featuring our feathered friends, the Polish Hussars, proud chargers of pike, bow and musket alike.
http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/HowHussarFought.htm

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Folks,
Let's make sure our posts don't continue with the sarcasm and condescension that's starting to creep in here.

Thank you.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven,

Not contradicting you on the ease of learning to use a musket or abilities of some muskets and musketmen. I think that is right on and it is much easier than the bow. I do think you need to hang out in better circles of archers though Wink I know some archers that are pretty good marksmen inside a hundred yards. Some of the gents can distance shoot hundreds of yards out. I think semi-professional archers could have much better accuracy agaisnt earlier muskets but this certainly shifts with the longer barreled ones, though so does the weight. Not sure what type of muskets your friends use though to compare but most people I know who do black powder shooting use 18th and 19th century models. I think if you are comparing professional archers from the same time period musketmen the accuracy is somewhat different.

By the way the same bishop mentions they were well shielded as well so not just armour there. Another accont mentions they are in the best german harnesses that can be bought so these men were in the best of the best. I'd think in almost any period the best armour would be hard to pierce with arrows... and to some extent certain firearms.

RPM
Jesse Pointen

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes please keep out the sarcasim.. i dont mean to destroy a Fact i am just opening a place to mix our idea's on what we would have preferd using, also we are determing either the musket or bow and witch one being the most affective.

Now earlier i mentioned a 22 round can be cuaght in you hand, well obvisualy you cannot.. all gun's are made for one reason (killing or cuasing mass damage) now i was inplying that a 22 caliber is one of the closest in firepower too the Flintlock musket...

Thank you.

Also id love to add the most Bow's back in the med age were mage of oak... making them Stronge but inafecting in power...

The term for rain of arrow's is used Becuase when 1000+ arrow's are being hurled into the sky they tend to drop down like bullet's...

I belive in my own apinion the the bow is alway's going to be one of the GREATEST weapon's in our history.
Reason's:
1. Silent.
2. affective for close range and close range.
3. Fire rate is Very afficiant.
4. Cost less and took less Resource's then a musket.
5. Damn Thing Sting like hell and cant be removed in battle making them a killer way of killing the target.

Musket's i love there a work of art but compared to the Bow they got little to live up for.

Thank you again for reading and have a pleasant day. Happy
Jesse Pointen

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok so there is a little detail we need to Focus on The issue of me not Informing on what musket's im talking about... here are some pic's of the Model Firearms im talking about.
This is a Modern made Flintlock musket pistol.. One of my Favorite model's

Thank you..

Also if anyone else has any pic's or story's of a Custom homemade musket please Post pics or post your story.
Caleb Hallgren

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jesse Pointen wrote:
Yes please keep out the sarcasim.. i dont mean to destroy a Fact i am just opening a place to mix our idea's on what we would have preferd using, also we are determing either the musket or bow and witch one being the most affective.

You aren't 'destroying a fact' if your reasoning is incorrect.

Quote:
Now earlier i mentioned a 22 round can be cuaght in you hand, well obvisualy you cannot.. all gun's are made for one reason (killing or cuasing mass damage) now i was inplying that a 22 caliber is one of the closest in firepower too the Flintlock musket...

Once again incorrect, and if your earlier assumption was 'obviously incorrect', then why on earth did you say it in the first place. A 22 LR round is simply of no comparison to the caliber of ball fired from a matchlock or wheellock of the time (flintlocks never really had to compete with bows, by the time they were widespread, battlefield archery was all but nonexistent). Where are you basing these patently false statements on ballistics from?

Quote:
I belive in my own apinion the the bow is alway's going to be one of the GREATEST weapon's in our history
Reason's:

1. Silent.

Silence makes little difference on an open battlefield, and can arguably be a detriment. Sound and Noise can be scary to an enemy.

Quote:

You mean close and LONG range, and that's not necessarily true either. Muskets of the time could be more effective and accurate at most ranges.

Quote:

If you mean that it can be fired faster, yes, that is the strength of a bow and that I will agree with you on. It can be fired frequently.

[quote]4. Cost less and took less Resource's then a musket.[quote]

Incorrect on many levels. Sure, a bow is in essence a piece of wood, but a true English Longbow (or a composite recurve bow of the time) take a great deal more skill and time to manufacture than a firearm. Arrows are much more time consuming and (depending on the country's resources) expensive to make. Finally, it took tons more resources (and time for that matter) to get a person to fire a longbow with half the efficacy of someone firing a musket.

Quote:
5. Damn Thing Sting like hell and cant be removed in battle making them a killer way of killing the target.

WTF?! Are you serious? Have you ever shot anything? Getting shot stings quote a blessed lot, and it's a lot easier (and more sanitary since you don't have to dig around) to remove an arrow than a musket ball.

Quote:
Musket's i love there a work of art but compared to the Bow they got little to live up for.

Nearly all of your assumptions are incorrect, and it seems ridiculous for someone such as yourself, a 21st century guy who thinks that a 22 LR bullet is more powerful than a .77 caliber matchlock ball, to say that the generals of the time were making a mistake when upgraded their technology.

I apologize for my sarcasm earlier, but how is one supposed to debate a topic in seriousness with someone who ignores the facts and throws around ridiculously incorrect assumptions to the point of absurdity?
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Caleb Hallgren wrote:
Quote:

WTF?! Are you serious? Have you ever shot anything? Getting shot stings quote a blessed lot, and it's a lot easier (and more sanitary since you don't have to dig around) to remove an arrow than a musket ball.

Indeed, I remember reading in a few places that the new complicated wounds from firearms were in part responsible for the advances of chirurgy during the Renaissance. Ambroise Paré (1510-1590) gained fame as a surgeon in part because of his novel treatments of bullet's wounds.

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just do not want to get shot..... Big Grin

With either of these weapons their times are very important in their effect on warfare. If you were saying that in its time the longbow was a great weapon, I'd agree 100%. It really changed things in many respects. The musket would do the same at a later date.

I think the weapon you are linked to there is a pistol. I think this is what most people are thinking of as a musket-

http://www.militaryheritage.com/loading1777frenchmusket.htm

I have done some limited black powder shooting. Know some of those guys who dress like mountain men and blow holes in animals.... I mean target animals. It is a fun experience but I enjoy the bow more still but it may be I do not enjoy the loud noise, though it still is alot of fun.

RPM

Last edited by Randall Moffett on Wed 14 Nov, 2007 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Darryl Aoki

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Originally, I wasn't going to respond, since other folks had already touched on the salient points I had wanted to make, but here are some of the reasons I'd say that a musket's superior to a bow, at least in terms of battlefield use.

1. A bow would indeed have a higher rate of fire than a musket, and, in a one-on-one target-shooting match, an archer would probably be able to outperform a musketman. However, making a good archer takes a lot of training, while it would take much less time to train a musketman to a similar level of accuracy. At an army-level, musketmen are simply easier to field, provision, and replace.
2. Regarding the provisioning, issuing shot (or lead with which to make shot) and powder is much easier than making arrows. As an example, I generally pay about $80 US for a dozen wooden arrows, which is quite a bit more than I'd expect to pay for ammunition for, say, a .30 rifle. Granted, the arrows are reusable and don't have the cost benefits of economy of scale, but still...
3. Firearms can generally be kept loaded (for short to middling periods) without affecting them all that much. (Excluding issues such as powder quality, weather, and safety.) It's difficult to keep a bow drawn for more than a second or so, at least without losing accuracy. (Excluding modern compound bows, which wouldn't have been around in the 1500s at any rate.)

I've shot both firearms (unfortunately, no muzzle-loaders) and bows, and will concede that I generally enjoy shooting my bow more, but that isn't for any reasons of effectiveness. If I had to face down someone with a ranged weapon, and had my choice of a Brown Bess musket or a longbow, I'd probably go for the Brown Bess.
James R

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jesse Pointen wrote:

Thank you.

Also id love to add the most Bow's back in the med age were mage of oak... making them Stronge but inafecting in power...

The term for rain of arrow's is used Becuase when 1000+ arrow's are being hurled into the sky they tend to drop down like bullet's...

I belive in my own apinion the the bow is alway's going to be one of the GREATEST weapon's in our history.
Reason's:
1. Silent.
4. Cost less and took less Resource's then a musket.

Thank you again for reading and have a pleasant day. Happy

A 16th cent arquebus threw a lead ball the size of your thumbprint 340 m/s. Yes, the longbow had a higher rate of fire, but you're ignoring the effectiveness of that rate of fire. Longbows couldn't put armored arquebuseers out of the battle, and armor couldn't stand up to arquebus fire within range. It didn't matter if you only got one volley off at 50 yards...one volley was all it took. We aren't talking about just putting "rounds on target", we're talking about the effectiveness of those rounds. As far as your arqubus/22 comparison, a 22 rimfire has a muzzle energy of about 220-230 joules; a 16th cent arqubus had about 1150, and it only increased as time went by. A more accurate comparison would be that a longbow had a "muzzle energy" equivalent to a 22 rimfire. I think you'll also find most longbows were yew...about the only thing oak would get used for in the bow world would be crossbow stocks. Oak doesn't have the flexibility; it's not even used in laminates for limbs. Yew, osage, bamboo, others do, but not woods like oak, hickory or ash.

I'm not going to disparage your passion for bows, they were an effective weapon in their time.

Of course, the most effective weapon ever was probably smallpox, but I digress.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was preparing a lengthy post for this thread concerning the external ballistics of musket balls versus arrows, etc. However, I don’t think I will do that now.

This whole thread is very much like it must have been in the days of Cro-Magnon man when Og and his buddies gathered to discuss the relative merits of the atlatl versus the hand-thrown rock. Aside from the fact that both are projectile weapons, there is no real similarity.

Most weapons systems do not spring forth fully perfected and ready to supplant everything that has gone before. That has certainly been true for firearms. The first use of the handgonne in the 14th c. did not result in the immediate abandonment of swords, lances, spears or bows. The firearm, throughout its early history, co-existed with bows. We know from the wreck of the Mary Rose, that both guns and bows were in use in 1545. In the Highlands of Scotland bows were carried as late as the mid-17th c., occasionally in tandem with firearms. However, as technology improved the firearm began to outpace the bow in terms of firepower, which is what it was all about.

As has been alluded to here, years of training as well as some significant strength and co-ordination were required to be a proficient archer. A musketeer, on the other hand, could be trained in a week or so to load, fire and care for his weapon. I believe that in the very earliest days of matchlock use the musketeer was taught to aim his firearm. At that point firearms continued to be outnumbered on the field and mass-firing was not as effective as it would become when all soldiers carried guns, making it necessary to aim. As technology began to allow for higher production rates of firearms the doctrine of mass-firing could be used to better effect. At that point the common soldier was taught to load and fire his musket on command, keeping the barrel pointed in the general direction of the enemy. More muskets, more lead in the air, a better chance of hitting somebody on the other side and aiming the firearm was no longer an issue. By the time of the paper cartridge the requirements for a soldier included the need for a couple of opposing teeth, but beyond that almost anyone who was among the quick could wield a musket. And, by that time, the bow was gone as a military weapon, except among aboriginal peoples. Speaking of aboriginals, and specifically Native Americans, they have always been very quick to put firearms to use when they could obtain them. Even primitive (relatively) people can see the advantage of an advanced weapon system.

Jesse has clearly either developed some ideas on his own that are erroneous, or he has been given information that is erroneous. I do not think that any of his comments come from hands on experience. I do think that most persons posting here have tried to give him the correct information, but it appears that Jesse wants to cling to the ideas he already has. If that is the case, then I suggest that we move on to another topic. This one is exhausted.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
Jesse has clearly either developed some ideas on his own that are erroneous, or he has been given information that is erroneous. I do not think that any of his comments come from hands on experience. I do think that most persons posting here have tried to give him the correct information, but it appears that Jesse wants to cling to the ideas he already has. If that is the case, then I suggest that we move on to another topic. This one is exhausted.

Agreed. Some people have very romantic views of archery, and they tend to cling to them in spite of the facts. (Bow vs Plate anyone?) Many that think like this are archers with a firm bias toward the effectivness of bows, and perhaps an ideological dislike for guns. Continuing such a debate is an exercise in futility, as they will not allow their romantic notions to be dispelled. He will likely maintain his belief that muskets "are a joke" (his words) and that archery is better, no matter what evidence you present. So what is the point in continuing? If he wants to erronerously believe that bows are superior despite all historical evidence, then that is his choice...

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

He can believe anything he wants so long as he doesn't post on a reputable forum where others go to learn. If he does so then erroneous statements need to be refuted. If someone reads an unchallenged statement then one is more likely to think that it is true. I have no problem with honest questions or even heated discussion but simply ignoring these posts is not a good idea.
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
He can believe anything he wants so long as he doesn't post on a reputable forum where others go to learn. If he does so then erroneous statements need to be refuted. If someone reads an unchallenged statement then one is more likely to think that it is true. I have no problem with honest questions or even heated discussion but simply ignoring these posts is not a good idea.

Dan...

I agree with you but I also think that beating a dead horse is non-productive. In this case many of the ideas expressed that began the thread are patently incorrect and based on the responses from the several folks who replied, unsupportable. I don't remember anyone seconding anything that Jesse wrote. Someone venturing onto this thread at a later time will certainly read the responses and may have sufficient knowledge to see the errors in these ideas without them. However, there is a time to cut it off and I think this is it. There doesn't seem to be anything to be gained by any further debate on the subject. I am not a moderator for the forum and don't mean to sound like one, but that is what I think.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree. My point was aimed at new threads not this one, which has been addressed adequately.
Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To add a couple of points (in my usual oblique and slightly off-the-mark style), a couple of things about muzzle-loaders in battle stand out that work as a disadvantage (not my opinion, but available from military history readings):
- troops that were not seasoned/battle-hardened would sometimes become rattled under the stress of battle and go through the process of loading, and then load again, and then again, all without remembering to fire until at last when the weapon was discharged, the result was a disaster. This is from after-action reports from the U.S. Civil War.
By comparison, no archer could have a similar issue.
- a large percentage of troops (as many as 50% in some wars) simply never fired at all, even during the heat of battle. Not until the advent of the M16 rifle did the U.S. Army get most of its troops to fire during combat. U.S. Army sourcing
I'm not sure whether or not archers ever faced the same issue.

Just wanted to share those 2 little tidbits, hoping that adds to the discussion.
Happy

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Watt wrote:
To add a couple of points (in my usual oblique and slightly off-the-mark style), a couple of things about muzzle-loaders in battle stand out that work as a disadvantage (not my opinion, but available from military history readings):
- troops that were not seasoned/battle-hardened would sometimes become rattled under the stress of battle and go through the process of loading, and then load again, and then again, all without remembering to fire until at last when the weapon was discharged, the result was a disaster. This is from after-action reports from the U.S. Civil War.
By comparison, no archer could have a similar issue.
- a large percentage of troops (as many as 50% in some wars) simply never fired at all, even during the heat of battle. Not until the advent of the M16 rifle did the U.S. Army get most of its troops to fire during combat. U.S. Army sourcing
I'm not sure whether or not archers ever faced the same issue.

Just wanted to share those 2 little tidbits, hoping that adds to the discussion.
Happy

Tom...

I am sure archers did not share that problem. I have seen mention of that in contemporary reports from the American Civil War. However, I think those reports may have been somewhat overstated as are some of those about green troops not shooting in later conflicts, but it did occur. One other tendancy is to fire high. Buildings and trees surrounding CW battlefields were frequently riddled with bullets at heights exceeding 10-15 feet.

Lin Robinson

Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
I am sure archers did not share that problem. I have seen mention of that in contemporary reports from the American Civil War. However, I think those reports may have been somewhat overstated as are some of those about green troops not shooting in later conflicts, but it did occur. One other tendancy is to fire high. Buildings and trees surrounding CW battlefields were frequently riddled with bullets at heights exceeding 10-15 feet.

I don't know about the quantity of incidents of overloading in the Civil War, just that it was mentioned more than once as being a problem.
But the failure to fire was an issue with all troops.
I'll have to dig through my files (it was a download from the U.S. Military Academy library) to get the figures... sorry, I'm real bad about reading things and remembering them, but not knowing quite where it was from.
That is one of the interesting marks of military firearms development...
the number of non-firing troops has steadily gone down as the weapons have become easier to fire and manage.

To relate this back to the O.P., I'm not sure I visualize the more historical battlefield as being populated by people much different than recent troops, and I wonder how much a rate of fire could be managed by troops handling a weapon with a complicated load and fire process.

I also don't think that conjecture about how troops might have behaved adds anything to the discussion. Let me go get my numbers so I don't prattle on mindlessly here.

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Part of why you put musket troops in lines is to make them all fire. They might not AIM while they do so, but they will, most of the time, fire.
As for archers, aiming is even harder. Since arrows have much less velocity, calulating range is essential. With a firearm, a shot against center mass will still hit even at range. An archer has to calulate range a lot more carefully, as well as lead the target more if it is moving.
Under such condition, just pointing and firing at random is as plausible for archers as for musketeer, probably even more, and the unaimed shots would be even more of target.
It is a result of psychology, not the weapon used.

Another important difference is that muskets where a close support weapon. Since missle weapons where attatched to pike units anyhow, the muskets would march up with the pike, and fire at close range.
As such, they where not in the same class of weapon as the bow or crossbow, who would (As far as i know) serve as long range artillery to soften up the foe.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > musket's power compared to Bow's?
Page 2 of 8 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: