Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > musket's power compared to Bow's? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next 
Jesse Pointen

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

(5. Damn Thing Sting like hell and cant be removed in battle making them a killer way of killing the target.

WTF?! Are you serious? Have you ever shot anything? Getting shot stings quote a blessed lot, and it's a lot easier (and more sanitary since you don't have to dig around) to remove an arrow than a musket ball.)

Ok yeh mabey removing a bullet is harder as it is in you... but do not forget an arrow is hanging out of you and you cant remove it as it will result in massive loss of blood.. Also when the arrow is in deep... it tend's to cuase alot of pain when you move around... but a bullet is in you it doest cuase more damage it just sits in you until it roll's out or a doctor gets it out...

Also i must add i do use Bow's alot and i have little to do with firearm's but i do anjoy crafting musket replica's and putting them up on a wall for show.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Caleb Hallgren wrote:

I apologize for my sarcasm earlier, but how is one supposed to debate a topic in seriousness with someone who ignores the facts and throws around ridiculously incorrect assumptions to the point of absurdity?

Simply refute the argument with sound facts and let it go. Being sarcastic or demeaning actually lessens the impact of your words. The person may not know their facts are erroneous and getting belittled probably won't make them want to learn, only get defensive.

Above all, be civil at all times.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Wed 14 Nov, 2007 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK. I have a link to one of the military libraries I haunt, but cannot yet find the original source (I hadn't realized how much "stuff" I had collected. Info is kind of like blades... nice to wield once in a while).
http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/html/bookshelves/resmat/resmat.html
(The above link takes you to the U.S. Army Center for Military History. All of this material is publicly available and is a wealth of reports, histories, etc.)

I guess the point I was trying to make is that massed firearms might not yield quite the 100% total of possible "rounds downrange" that one might hope. That is in no way to be construed as suggesting that in my opinion an equal number of archers arrayed against musketeers would fare very well. Even the relatively slow velocity of the older firearms is offset by the size of the round.
The firearm provides a knockdown hit.
And while the older weapons didn't create the mass of tissue destruction that modern miltary rifles do (this is intended to maim and overwhelm the enemy's ability to care for the wounded), the large bullet mass will either shatter any bone struck (rendering a limb useless) or if striking the abdominal cavity, set up the victim for death from infection.

And I apologize for not having my previously mentioned sources at hand. I think it may have been from the Command General Staff College library, with my copy on my other computer.

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Elnathan Barnett

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A couple of points:

-When I was at Jamestown a couple of years ago, the interpreters said that matchlock ammunition was made to much finer tolerances than later flintlock ammunition, trading rate of fire for accuracy. Ergo, it is helpful no know what type of "musket" one is talking about, since it can apply to those big matchlocks fired from rests, those snaphaunces/Jacobean guns built along similar lines but fired without a rest, to "Brown Bess" and her cousins of the 18th and 19th centuries. American Civil War rifle-muskets are a different beastie.

-There is no real way of measuring the power of bullets, particularly those fired from muzzleloaders, in a way that reflects real-world experience. Jesse is right, somewhat, in that in some methods of measuring bullet energy muzzleloaders and blackpowder firearms don't do very well - the .22 LR has about the same ballistic coefficient as the .45 roundball, while in terms of kinetic energy, the .30-30 is more powerful than the old .45-90 blackpowder cartridge. However, the .45-90 will go clean through a 2000 pound buffalo and drop it cleanly, while the .30-30 is considered somewhat underpowdered for a 150 pound deer...

-If IIRC, the British troops in India said that it was more demoralizing to be shot at by archers - when they could see the arrows coming - then being shot at by firearms. Of course, they were familiar with firearms, while taking archery "fire" was a new experience...

-It is worth noting that the American Indians, when given the opportunity, embraced the flintlock with such enthusiasm that they pretty much forgot how to use bows, at least in the East. Note that this was both for hunting and for war, so I don't think that it was completely the result of the belief that guns had magical powers behind this phenomena.

-Concerning the accuracy of bows, bear in mind that arrows have to be matched to individual bows for best results. Were military issued arrows carefully matched to individual archers? I suspect not. If we are talking about dedicated snipers, remember that there was a funny old weapon known as a rifle, that dates back as far as 1500, and shows up from time to time, even in the English Civil War, as a sharpshooter's weapon. They were shooting at a 42" mark at 805 feet at one match in Basel, Switzerland, in 1605, offhand. Thats, what, about 260 odd yards?

I have been around awhile, but this is my first post, I think.
Caleb Hallgren

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elnathan Barnett wrote:
A couple of points:

-When I was at Jamestown a couple of years ago, the interpreters said that matchlock ammunition was made to much finer tolerances than later flintlock ammunition, trading rate of fire for accuracy. Ergo, it is helpful no know what type of "musket" one is talking about, since it can apply to those big matchlocks fired from rests, those snaphaunces/Jacobean guns built along similar lines but fired without a rest, to "Brown Bess" and her cousins of the 18th and 19th centuries. American Civil War rifle-muskets are a different beastie.

-There is no real way of measuring the power of bullets, particularly those fired from muzzleloaders, in a way that reflects real-world experience. Jesse is right, somewhat, in that in some methods of measuring bullet energy muzzleloaders and blackpowder firearms don't do very well - the .22 LR has about the same ballistic coefficient as the .45 roundball, while in terms of kinetic energy, the .30-30 is more powerful than the old .45-90 blackpowder cartridge. However, the .45-90 will go clean through a 2000 pound buffalo and drop it cleanly, while the .30-30 is considered somewhat underpowdered for a 150 pound deer...

You are right in that it's important to know what kind of musket one is referring to.

A '.45 Roundball' isn't representative of a firearm of the period in which muskets and archery coexisted. The most common calibers were much larger, usually .62 or .75.
Shayan G

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I too have often wondered at what motivated a transition from the amazingly designed and undeniably efficient composite bow to the musket (which later on, of course, would have its own amazing designs and efficiency). More specifically, I've always wondered at the slowness of the transition to the musket in Iranian history. I think these are the main reasons (for Iran anyways):

Part of the reason is cultural-- the nomadic style of warfare (centered on the composite bow) had worked for millenia, and the slow-loading and (as they perceived it) inglorious arquebus or matchlock didn't provide much incentive to the mounted warrior. The lack of speed relative to the composite bow would severely compromise a method of battle based on mobility and maintaining a constant barrage against the enemy to demoralize and confuse them. For this reason, the armies with a nomadic cultural background were notoriously slow to adopt the musket, e.g. the Northeastern Turkmen, and farther north and east, the Uzbeks.

Later, though, with increased accuracy and production, the musket finally provided a defense against the previously unstoppable mobile horsearcher. I think, ironically, that the reason for the popularity of the musket later on in the East was due to the amazing efficiency of the other forms of combat--much like the arquebus against the European knight, it finally gave the little guy a way to defend against a warrior with a lifetime of training and a fierce reputation.

Here's an article on the history of firearms in Iran, which has some interesting hints as to why the transition occurred there...
http://www.iranica.com/newsite/articles/v9f6/v9f626a.html
It's generally a great intro to firearms in Southwest Asia, though the article only devotes one paragraph to Nader Shah, who revolutionized Middle Eastern and Southeast Asian warfare and firearms technology. Strangely, some of his innovations merged the mobility of nomadic armies with the punch of firearms--the most notable is the camel-mounted cannon, which was devastating to the Mughal infantry and elephants alike.

Here's the most relevant portion:

Quote:
Though firearms became widespread, their introduction into the Persian army did not follow a smooth path. Several factors impeded a quick and comprehensive assimilation into the Safavid army. Firearms did not fit in with the traditional ways of fighting and radically altered the form of combat which had always been individual and personal, producing "anonymous death" (Subrahmaniyam, p. 228). Mounted soldiers deemed the use of firearms beneath their dignity (Cartwright, p. 503). The tofangchis, recruited from peasants and artisans, were therefore held in low esteem and regarded as cannon fodder (Sherley, p. 163; Chardin, V, p. 304-6; Kaempfer, p. 94, Richard, II, pp. 117, 265, 285). Ultimately, the use of firearms was ill suited to the type of swift and flexible manoeuvering and surprise raids typical of the Safavid cavalry tradition. Heavy matchlock guns, for one, could not be applied from horseback (Matthee, pp. 393-94).
Jesse Pointen

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matchlocks are a pain in the hind.. as you cannot let water anywere near them or you'd put out the wick... and flintlock have been heard to fire after getting drentched.
David Evans

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jesse Pointen wrote:
Matchlocks are a pain in the hind.. as you cannot let water anywere near them or you'd put out the wick... and flintlock have been heard to fire after getting drentched.

*Cough* From personal experience, if you have good match that you can get to stay lit and can get three or four shots off quickly then you can pretty much keep firing throughout fairly heavy rain. If you get the musket wet, then you're buggered...!
The first few shots warm the barrel and pan up and help keep it going.

European armies started to grow in size quite dramatically during the 15th and into the 16th Century. Consequentally it became harder to raise enough firepower without using the new technologies.
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jesse Pointen wrote:

War in heavy rain in general is difficult. But in keeping the argument of reasons why the gunpowder weapons replaced the longbow and crossbow, how well did the longbow fare in rain? I guess the properties of the bowstring could change significantly when wet?
Darryl Aoki

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bjorn Hagstrom wrote:
Jesse Pointen wrote:

War in heavy rain in general is difficult. But in keeping the argument of reasons why the gunpowder weapons replaced the longbow and crossbow, how well did the longbow fare in rain? I guess the properties of the bowstring could change significantly when wet?

Water can significantly affect bows and bowstrings, depending on their construction. I recall reading that getting a bowstring wet in the medieval period would weaken it quite a bit; the same document mentioned archers keeping a spare string tucked away under their helms. I suspect that modern bowstrings of synthetic materials aren't nearly as sensitive, so I can't cite any anecdotal evidence to back this up, alas.

A wooden bow itself would probably be affected by the wet as well, though I'd imagine that the wood would have been somehow treated to weatherproof it somewhat. Composite bows, depending on the type(s) of glue used in their construction, could be even more adversely affected.

I'm not doing any experiments with my bow, though. She's been very well-behaved, and I see no good reason to do that to her. Wink
Shayan G

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Composite bows, depending on the type(s) of glue used in their construction, could be even more adversely affected.

Definitely--unless the glues holding the sinew and wood together are made of the right kind of fish glue, they completely melt. And unless the bow is lacquered, then the sinews and wood may warp, not to mention the bowstring. It took a lot of care to maintain them in wet weather.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unless submerged for long duration of time under water a bow should not be altered by water. They do seem to produce a fair number of painted bows. According to a York ordinance from the 1st part of the 15th the bows were to be inspected prior to painting indicating it was completely covered with it so one could not see under it.

Bow strings would be kept dry until needed so unless the battle lasted a large amount of time, unlikely but possible does not seem a huge issue. There are indication of wind adversly inmapcting arrows but few about bows.

I would think most composite bows would be sealed as composite crossbow prods were to counter the humidity and water to avoid that problem.

RPM
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Linen bowstrings can absorb water, which adds to their weight, which in turn can reduce the energy imparted to the arrow . I don't remember how many fps loss this translates too, but I don't think it's much. Gut and leather strings (mostly used for crossbows in Europe), on the other hand, stretch when they get wet, which affects their performance quite a bit.
Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Shayan G

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:

I would think most composite bows would be sealed as composite crossbow prods were to counter the humidity and water to avoid that problem.

The impression I get from different sources on composite bow construction seem to indicate it depended mostly on the quality of the bow itself. Some bows were lacquered and employed water-proof fish glue (IIRC Indian, Persian, and Ottoman bows were often lacquered), but others were simply wrapped in leather and used boiled skin for glue. The first would be nigh immune to water unless soaked, and the other would easily warp on a very damp day unless properly stored. I'd wager that the differences varied by region--for example, anywhere near the Caspian would expect rainfall, but would also have the waterproof fish glue readily available, whereas in the Karakum Desert, the fish aren't as near, but the rain is almost nonexistent anyways!

Here's what Adam Karpowizc of ATARN says:
Quote:
Glue was an important component of the bows, the amount of glue in a finished bow was almost equal to the relative amounts of sinew or horn. Only three kinds of collagen-based glues were used: fish, tendon and skin. For the fish glue, either dry skin from "the roof of the mouth" of Danube sturgeon (Turkish, other fish for Chinese) or isinglas (sturgeon air bladder, Chinese) were soaked in water and heated into solution. The Turks mixed this glue with tendon glue, made from boiled tendons. A glue of lesser quality was made from boiled skins. Such glues readily absorb moisture rendering the bows useless in relative humidity above 70%. The bows had to be stored as dry as possible, kept by the fire, in the sun, or in heated cabinets.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~roblewis/Archery/turkish.htm

From another website (it lacks citations but corroborates other sources I've read)
Quote:
How is fish glue made? The process that yields the highest quality is to take swim bladders from freshwater fish, soak them into hot water to extract the protein substance, and then boil the resultant soup for a prolonged period. If sufficient quantities of swim bladders cannot be obtained, it is also possible to make hide glue by boiling animal skins. This latter method however results in a glue of inferior quality, because it absorbs moisture, whereas glue made from ichthyic air bladders is highly moisture-resistant.

http://www.coldsiberia.org/monbow.htm
A. Jake Storey II

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:

Also your understanding of the physics of flight are lacking. An arrow has its highest energy immediately after leaving the bow. It does not some how gain any energy from falling that it didn't already have at an earlier point in its flight.

This is partially true except for the part about the highest energy being just after the arrows leave the bow. You should review parabolic motion. When the arrow is shot at an upward angle, it will gain speed when it starts falling until, when reaching the same distance from the center of the earth as the place it was fired from, it will have the same speed and therefore momentum. If fired from an elevated location, like a hilltop or battlement, then it will have GREATER speed, and therefor GREATER momentum.

Only you can deny yourself your rights.
Too ignore the rights of others, is to forfeit you own!
Thereby, in your crime, YOU bring Justice on your own head!!!
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jesse Pointen
Quote:
i do anjoy crafting musket replica's and putting them up on a wall for show.

I would enjoy seeing your work and I think others here would too, please post some photos of the musket replicas you craft!

Last edited by Ben Sweet on Thu 15 Nov, 2007 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elnathan Barnett

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Caleb,
yes, .45 is definitely not representative of musket calibers. As a matter of fact, it is considered by some to be a "small game or target" caliber. I brought it up because 1) it still a bigger caliber than a .22 long and has significantly more power, and 2) because that is the caliber that the .22 was compared to in my source, The Complete Blackpowder Handbook. Incidently, this small, marginal-for-big-game caliber is capable of punching through ploughshare blades (1/8" tempered steel) at 60 yards with 60 grains of 3Fg. Thats the closest thing I have to an armor-piercing test.

Incidently, Robert Held's Age of Firearms contains a number of quotations from a fellow by the name of Sir Roger WIlliams (IIRC), written in 1590 about, among other things, the relative usefulness of bows and muskets. As well as the points already brought up here concerning power and ease of use, Williams points out that anyone who can stand up can fire a musket, whereas a sick bowman is severely compromised in his usefulness. At the end of a long campaign or with sickness in the ranks, this could be a crucial difference. Also, a musketeer can fire from behind a parapet or other cover without exposing over half his head, whereas an archer needs more space.

Jesse,
I can't say from experience, since I use a patched ball in my flintlock, but a smoothbore with wadding would not be difficult to clear. There is a sort of double corkscrew called a worm that screws on the end of the ramrod ("wiping stick) - pulling the wadding and and dumping the ball (loose-fitting, remember) would be a simple task. Then run the worm back down the barrel and twist it back and forth a bit to loosen the wet powder, dump the powder, and, if it really needs it, run a bit of tow down the barrel on the end of the to dry everything out and reload. Say, two minutes, tops?
A bit of advice - don't rely on popular histories to gain an understanding of the efficacy of early firearms. I can't tell you how many times I have run across "facts" about the flintlock that are contradicted by everyday experience. I can only assume that the situation with matchlocks is worse, since there are so many fewer people that shoot matchlocks. Early firearms are usually underestimated in "serious" (i.e., non-Hollywood) popular culture.
David Evans

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elnathan Barnett wrote:
Caleb,
Jesse,
I can't say from experience, since I use a patched ball in my flintlock, but a smoothbore with wadding would not be difficult to clear. There is a sort of double corkscrew called a worm that screws on the end of the ramrod ("wiping stick) - pulling the wadding and and dumping the ball (loose-fitting, remember) would be a simple task. Then run the worm back down the barrel and twist it back and forth a bit to loosen the wet powder, dump the powder, and, if it really needs it, run a bit of tow down the barrel on the end of the to dry everything out and reload. Say, two minutes, tops?

Think you mean scouring stick....:-)
You can flash the pan two or three times once the ball is out, see if that gets the bugger going!

Matchlock muskets were getting smaller in calibre from the turn of the 17th Century, from about .85 down to .68 The earlier caliver was about .62 to .59
Average in Britian seems to be about .77
Muzzle Velocity averages 400 - 450m/sec

This page may prove interesting for earlier weapons http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/handgonne.html
Jesse Pointen

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well yes some matchlock musket's were able to go in the rain but they were coated in oil or lantern fuel.. but when the wick got completly soaked they had to replace the wick...
Darryl Aoki

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jesse Pointen wrote:
Well yes some matchlock musket's were able to go in the rain but they were coated in oil or lantern fuel.. but when the wick got completly soaked they had to replace the wick...

I don't know that that level of waterproofing of a gun would be called for. So long as the priming powder's safe and dry (and the main charge in the barrel!) and the match's burning, the gun ought to be in a condition to fire. Of course, doing that's the trick. Some Japanese matchlocks had a sliding cover over the priming pan that would move aside as the serpentine dropped; I don't know if this feature was part of any European matchlocks, but can't imagine why it wouldn't have been.

Besides, as discussed before, bows (and arrows) weren't exactly waterproof either.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > musket's power compared to Bow's?
Page 3 of 8 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: