Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cold Steel Gross Messer Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An old subject, I know, but I just saw the post and link on the marketplace and I must put down some things.
I own a relatively new Cold Steel Gross Messer, which I had to pay $300 in order to have it over here, in Israel. One out of just two, specially ordered by the local Cold Steel importer.
I red the first review before ordering the sword, I was not aware of the problems reported later, of tang snapping. Cold Steel do not let too much info, but I think they have changed at least two suppliers, and the latter one is of better quality control and higher overall quality. My sword weighs marginally over 3 pounds, POB is just 4-1/2" down the blade. Being a student of the longsword I can appreciate the weight and balance. The sword was involved in two separate, full day cutting events, and was regarded highly by all participants. Cutting targets were bundles of reeds and thick cardboard. During the last cutting day the main theme was cutting through clothing of different thickness and layers. We had a heavy fur coat stuffed with rolled cardboard to imitate limbs and chest. The coat had been bound to an oak tree. I delivered a full strength diagonal Zwerchau, holding the sword inverted in such way the edge will go for the target. The aim was one of the "hands" which was severed cleanly and the blade sunk into the tree trunk with a loud "boinggg" I could feel vibrating up my shoulders. Nothing happened to the sword. My conclusion is, although not historically accurate, it is a good solid sword, vivid and will stand for itself.

Curator of Beit Ussishkin, regional nature & history museum, Upper Galilee.
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, Sa'ar. Kinda' related to the Cold Steel Messer's reputation here on this
thread is the idea that complaints or problems about any item are often heard much more
clearly, and given much more often, than praise.

It would be interesting, if possible, to discover how many Messers Cold Steel has sold, and
how many were returned for this particular serious failing. IF it is a consistant problem wouldn't
it make sense to see the item dropped from their catalogue ? or even re-designed -- maybe to
be lighter, for instance.

I sincerely believe ANY sword can fail its calling, regardless of a company or smith's reputation.
What the buyer has to hope is that, barring abuse, the company or smith will remedy the situation,
whether it means replacing the sword, or refunding the $$$ ...

This also calls to mind the idea of what degree of perfection should we expect for the $$$ spent ?
I pay $ 150 for a big, heavy, production company sword; what should my $ 150 get me ? I'd also
be curious to know -- perhaps start a thread, eh ? -- if there is a detail on any of my fellow forumites'
swords ( be they an Albion, or Atrim, or Arms And Armor, or Lutel, etc ) that you noticed with a pang
of disappointment upon receiving ?

Maybe a small portion of an edge was rough, or the polish scuffed, the grip maybe stained, the
scabbard-leather marked, the hilt slightly loose ...

Now, I currently am trying to re-sell this sword, and won't be surprised if people stear completely
away from it no matter how attractive the price, or come at me with even lower offers. But such is
life in this particular instance, no ? B-)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cold Steel Gross Messer
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: