Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need 15th c. helmet advice Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Need 15th c. helmet advice         Reply with quote

I'm looking for advice for my mid-15th c. harness (see attached photo). I would like a new helmet (the old one is a little too big for me), and I'm likely going to go through bestarmour.com.

I'm thinking about another sallet, and am likely going to go with the SS 4.5 seen here:

With the NG 2.1 bevor:

However, I was debating other options. I'm thinking of the possibility of an open faced sallet with bevor, specifically the SS 1.5:

I'm not sure if the last one would fit with my harness or not. I also was debating a different type of helmet altogether. I've always been fond of the barbuta, such as the BB 1.1:

...but that one doesn't seem to fit my harness. Thoughts?

And I would also like opinions on other options as well. I'm looking for historical accuracy, and I'd like to stay below $800 (I'd like the price to be much less, if possible). This harness is used primarily for demonstration of WMA techniques. I don't really do any free play in it, though I do occassionally do light harnisfechten. As such, its okay if I use an open faced helmet (I usually have my visor up while teaching anyway), and it's okay if the gauge is not that thick (but I don't want it to be too light, either).

Attachment: 86.41 KB
armour_small.jpg
The current harness.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

This isn't about your hemlet, but I noticed you have the windlass arms...

The couters on those arms are actualluy quite nice, but for some reason they make them way too "open", to the point of being inaccurate and a bit ridiculous. Look at your picture and how they stick out like silly litttle wings. This is easily remedied, however, by simply "squashing" them to size for your arms.

Just put them on a flat surface and push them closed untill they float just a bit over your arms.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
Hi Bill,

This isn't about your hemlet, but I noticed you have the windlass arms...

The couters on those arms are actualluy quite nice, but for some reason they make them way too "open", to the point of being inaccurate and a bit ridiculous. Look at your picture and how they stick out like silly litttle wings. This is easily remedied, however, by simply "squashing" them to size for your arms.

Just put them on a flat surface and push them closed untill they float just a bit over your arms.

Yeah, I've actually been meaning to do exactly that forever now. In fact, it's on my to-do list during my holiday time off. Happy
One of these days those are getting replaced with nicer ones, but for the moment they work.

Peter Fuller did some additional work on my pauldrons which made them much nicer than the stock MRL ones. I can raise my arms naturally now, which I couldn't do originally.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Douglas Huxtable

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

Although im not an expert I would say you should definately go with the visored-sallet, but there are plenty of awesome sallets on bestarmour.com's website, I think that the one you posted and many other visored-sallets of theirs would look awesome with your harness and fairly accurate as although for some reason i cant see the whole pic of your harness it looks like you have some very gothic-like parts which matches the visored-sallet.
I dont personally think the open faced sallet would go very well with the bevor youve chosen and your harness.
Big Grin

Humans trail a path of light, all land and space that hasnt been trodden by man is dark, all dark must be trodden to bring illumination, so that all others can follow the light that we bring.
James Barker

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill

What part of the 15th c do you want to do and what area? Things like articulated tails and reinforcements on the crown are later 15th century features.

James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Torsten F.H. Wilke

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill, I would like to recommend the open-faced sallet. Not for any particular historical reasons, just what seems to fit your personality if one can truly guess at a personality on the internet. And, those helms seem to be fairly unique these days...
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What sallet are you using currently, Bill? What about it isn't working for you, other than size?
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Tue 04 Dec, 2007 8:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Barker wrote:
Bill

What part of the 15th c do you want to do and what area? Things like articulated tails and reinforcements on the crown are later 15th century features.

Hi James,
Well, I'm thinking Germanic, between 1460 and 1480, with some "fudge" room between the dates. Since I don't do living history, it's not vital to me to get it completely accurate down to the year, but I still want it to be accurate enough that when I do WMA demonstrations I'm not portraying something false.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would also put in a vote for the open-faced sallet. So much armour in the mid-15th c. came from Northern Italy, and the Italians loved them some open-faced celatas. Big Grin This type also has a distinct advantage for instruction, since it doesn't obstruct your voice or vision. Some might think of the type as inappropriate for someone of rank and wealth, but one can see mounted men at arms wearing these in contemporary artwork. You'd save a bundle, too.

There is a visorless, articulated-tail Brescian sallet of ca. 1475 in the Churburg armoury, but the Best Armour sallet looks a bit off to me for some reason. If they have a "jawbone"-visored sallet with a longer fixed tail, you might consider that or just a typical export sallet.

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Italians, ca. 1466:

Attachment: 103.51 KB
bill.jpg

-Sean

James Barker

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For a German look I would aim for a long tail without articulation. You could do a solid visor as well but I would go with one you can lift so you could lower it if you want too.
James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have a look here: http://www.flarcheveque.com/#

Click on English and then products, helmets and you will see a variety of visored and open faced Sallets.

The is also the in stock section as I don't know what his production times to delivery are like.

I've seen his work up close and it's impressive.

A couple of the open face ones seem within your price range.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks all for the input. I'm still debating the pros and cons of various styles.

Sean Flynt wrote:
What sallet are you using currently, Bill? What about it isn't working for you, other than size?

Sorry, Sean, I'd missed this question the first time. It's an old Tony Swatton design, and my only problem is that it's a little big. Even if I stick with it, I'll still need a bevor. Honestly, I like it... but it's pretty obvious when I wear it that it was sized for someone with a bigger noggin. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Barker wrote:
For a German look I would aim for a long tail without articulation. You could do a solid visor as well but I would go with one you can lift so you could lower it if you want too.

Unfortunately price is a limiting factor. The long tails tend to cost a bit more, and if I go with a visor then I definately want it to lift. I still need a bevor, too, and all of this adds up.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While it definately has a more Italian look to it, what are people's opinion of a barbuta? Does it work with the harness above?

Here are two somewhat similar harnesses to mine (courtesy of bestarmour.com), one with barbuta, one with sallet & bevor.

and

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

Sorry, Sean, I'd missed this question the first time. It's an old Tony Swatton design, and my only problem is that it's a little big. Even if I stick with it, I'll still need a bevor. Honestly, I like it... but it's pretty obvious when I wear it that it was sized for someone with a bigger noggin. Happy

The reason I ask is because some repro helmets have a very thin leather liner (Windlass, for example). Those can make the piece seem like a cave and they slide around on the head. Making an historical padded fabric liner is pretty easy and it could make a big difference in the fit and stability of the helmet. That can only go so far, though, so if it's like wearing a trashcan on your head, a little more padding likely wouldn't help.

Do you have any photos of your helmet?

You haven't mentioned kettle hats. BA has some beauties that look great with bevors. I really like the barbuta, by the way. I do keep coming back to the visorless sallet and bevor. BA has this nice set (it helped inspire the work on my Thaden sallet and bevor Big Grin ).

Attachment: 49.1 KB
D X 6.jpg

-Sean

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Do you have any photos of your helmet?

Well, its a bad picture, but I'll attach it. You can kind of see how it's significantly bigger than my head (and its even more obvious in person).

Quote:
You haven't mentioned kettle hats. BA has some beauties that look great with bevors. I really like the barbuta, by the way. I do keep coming back to the visorless sallet and bevor. BA has this nice set (it helped inspire the work on my Thaden sallet and bevor Big Grin ).

I agree that a kettle hat would work great, but they really aren't my style.

Attachment: 62.75 KB
helmet_close-up.jpg

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

FWIW, it doesn't look too big from this angle. Compare to this one at the RA Leeds (I forget where online I found this):

Attachment: 97.97 KB
0608140002-vi.jpg

-Sean

Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Being a bit on the big side can be a good thing as one wants the bevor edge and the sallet not get in the way of each other.

Oh, even with the open face sallet I think one can get a lot of protection to the upper face by just " Turtleling " the head by shrugging the shoulders up ? Just my theory, curious if it makes sense to others.

With a visored sallet there can be a gap between the bottom edge of the sallet and the top edge of the bevor and this can be an advantage as one can get a breath of air tilting back the head and get protection by the previously mentioned
" Turtleling ".

By the way wouldn't an upward thrust aiming for under the rim of the sallet and over the rim of the bevor have been a basic halfswording target ? ( Just a little drifting into armoured combat: Hope not too much off-topic, but choosing the type of sallet is a compromise between comfort, vision/breathing and level of coverage ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

have you checked on Best Armoury's wait time? last i heard it was almost 2 years on the wait. also if you order from them you need to be very specific with your head size. Lord Greys ordered a few helmets from them and most were too small to put in proper liners. So you need to remember to tell them you want to put a liner in the helmet before hand

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need 15th c. helmet advice
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: