Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > WW I Canadian Cavalry Sword Question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: WW I Canadian Cavalry Sword Question         Reply with quote

All,

My grandfather enlisted in the Canadian Cavalry during WW I. Luckily for him and me ,I guess, when he was shipped to England from Canada they switched the Cavalry to armor. I guess they'd figured out that horses and horsemen didn't do well against machine guns. Luckily for both of us again, the war was over before his training was completed.
I remember asking my grandfather about his sword and he told me that it had a straight, pointed and unsharpened blade about the circumference of his thumb and that it was unsharpened so that the horses didn't get cut. He said it was a stabbing weapon but it was heavy enough that it would break a man's shoulder or skull if he was struck with it. I wonder if anyone can tell me what model of sword this was or show me what this sword looked like.

Thanks,

Ken Speed
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken,
Was your grandfather an officer or enlisted man? Enlisted men would have carried the British Pattern 1908 Cavalry Trooper's Sword and Officers would have carried the Pattern 1912 Cavalry Officer's Sword. The swords basically the same except the officers' swords were a bit fancier. Here is a wikipedia article: 1908 and 1912 Cavalry Swords.

Pattern 1908

Pattern 1912

I hope that helps!

Jonathan
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Fri 28 Dec, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: WWI Canadian Cavalry Sword Question         Reply with quote

Ken,
If your grandfather was a Cavalry Trooper he must be carrying this sword. Maybe this sword, which dates from 1885, was used by both the British and Canadian cavalries during WWI. It is still used in military parades today, I think.

Last edited by Shahril Dzulkifli on Sun 30 Dec, 2007 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 28 Dec, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: WWI Canadian Cavalry Sword Question         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
Ken,
If your grandfather was a Cavalry Trooper he must be carrying this sword. Maybe this sword, which dates from 1885, was used by both the British and Canadian cavalries during WWI. It is still used in military parades today, I think.

The 1885 is not used today. The 1885 may have been carried by yeoman cavalry units during the WWI period (not likely, IMO), but the Pattern 1899 cavalry trooper's sword would have been a more likely carry-over from the 19th century (if the sword your grandfather used was not the P1908).

Jonathan
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: WWI Canadian Cavalry Sword Question         Reply with quote

Looks like I made a mistake. I thought that was the sword used by the Canadian Cavalry during WWI.
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses,

My grandfather told me an interesting story about their retraining. He said that when the Canadians were being retrained as armor they were put under the command of British officers. Apparently one of these officers struck a Canadian with his swagger stick, "Veddy British. Don't you know" Well, these were a bunch of farmers and cowboys from Manitoba and Saskatchewan and hitting one with a switch wasn't a real smart thing to do." The trooper punched the officer. Naturally, the British wanted him to be executed for striking an officer but the Canadians essentially revolted and rather than try to arrest an entire body of troops the British officers were replaced by the Canadian officers and the trooper was not executed.

Thanks again,

Ken Speed
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Flogging (putting a soldier to the lash) was abolished in the British Army in 1881 as a result of Cardwell's Army reforms: http://www.victorianweb.org/history/armyrefs.html , so it seems strange that death would be considered an appropriate sentence for a ranker who had struck an officer.

Jonathan
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan,

You wrote, "... it seems strange that death would be considered an appropriate sentence for a ranker who had struck an officer." Well, yeah, but the British weren't known for being particularly humanitarian to anybody ever. But consider for a moment, this is a story told to me when I was a boy by my grandfather roughly fifty years after the event and which I now related to those of you on this website. I can assure you I'm not a little boy any more, do the math, this occurred approximately one hundred years ago. Maybe they were just going to lock him up for twenty years or so, does it really make a difference?

I can tell you that, in general, striking an officer is very severely punished by any military organization. In Britain, at the time, during an active war, when you have British officers in charge of men who they almost certainly thought of as ignorant clodhoppers or worse, who knows? Neither of us were there and for that I think we should both be grateful.

Best regards,

Ken Speed
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am glad I was not there and I did not intend to dishonour your grandfather's memory of his service.

Jonathan
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: WWI Canadian Cavalry Sword Question         Reply with quote

Jonathan, the 1908 and 1912 British cavalry swords have a kind of 'odd' hilts, I think. Their handles are bent and have bowl-like guards unlike most cavalry swords with straight hilts and curved guards.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Odd? I wouldn't think so--it's just a "pistol grip" designed for more convenient use in thrusting, since these sword forms were optimized for the thrust rather than the cut (although I think there are instances of them being sharpened and successfully used to cut unarmored targets).
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: WWI Canadian Cavalry Sword Question         Reply with quote

Well, these swords just don't look odd to me but they look like fencing swords.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of course they do! They're thrusting swords and were meant to be used with fencing techniques modified for use on horseback. Take a look at this mounted swordsmanship exercise manual:

http://www.pattonhq.com/saber.html

Even though it's American rather than British, it's contemporary to the British cavalry swords in question and the techniques used would be very similar.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: WWI Canadian Cavalry Sword Question         Reply with quote

Lafayette, to me the Patton cavalry sword looks similar to the swords shown above judging by its blade while its handle is a bit different, though.

Attachment: 66.87 KB
Patton cavalry sword.jpg

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius

Last edited by Shahril Dzulkifli on Sun 13 Jan, 2008 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: WWI Canadian Cavalry Sword Question         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
Well, these swords just don't look odd to me but they look like fencing swords.

I thought so to, but it's more likely the other way around. My latest thread of this forum was on asking about this specific kind of sword. Happy

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=12055

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
Lafayette, to me the Patton cavalry sword looks similar to the sword shown above judging by its blade while its handle is a bit different, though.

That's because Patton re-designed it.Apparently, he thought the original handle didn't work as well as it should. Having not handled either weapon I can't tell you if he was right, but the Patton variant sure looks nicer to me.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All,

I'm very happy that my insignificant question has ballooned into a topic of discussion and I want to thank everybody for their help and generosity in sharing their knowledge. Does anyone know of a likely source to buy one of these swords and what the approximate price range would be?

I've seen a couple of the Patton Swords in antique shops but they seem like much heavier swords than the British ones appear to be. Although I may be deceived because in one case I'm looking at a photo and in the other case I'm looking at the thing in actuality,

Ken Speed
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken,
It depends on whether or not you are looking for a replica or an original. I have PMed you with some options for either.

Jonathan
D Critchley

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
Does anyone know of a likely source to buy one of these swords and what the approximate price range would be?

http://www.michaeldlong.com/Ko-Bespoke/stockd.../27/105261

http://search.guns.goantiques.com/search/item...id=1189662

http://search.guns.goantiques.com/search/item...?id=784282

http://www.britishmilitaryswords.co.uk/bigger...htext=0579

David C

"The purpose of the cavalry on the battlefield is to give tone to an event that otherwise might be considered a common brawl"
Jeff Demetrick

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
All,

Does anyone know of a likely source to buy one of these swords and what the approximate price range would be?

Ken Speed

Hi Ken,

This one is closer to home. http://www.denner.ca/weapons/edged_weapons/index.html Happy

Jeff
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All,

Thanks to all of you for your assistance.

Ken Speed

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > WW I Canadian Cavalry Sword Question
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: