Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A&A Katzbalger Center of Percussion placement Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Otto Karl

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: A&A Katzbalger Center of Percussion placement         Reply with quote

Hello everybody.
I was looking into the review collection, and noted something weird: the data from A&A Katzbalger Center of Percussion is missing! Do anyone of you know where is it placed?
As a newby I know there are important diferences between a Katzbalger and a Cutlass (i.e., Inertia about the longitidinal Axis), but I suppose there is very much in common, becouse them both are cutting type short Swords (O.K., not really, the last one is more like a Saber). So I suppose the general features are quite similar: lenght, inertia, Point of Balance location, Point of Percussion location. I am right, or is my Analysis a bit fallacious?

Last edited by Otto Karl on Sat 22 Dec, 2007 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A&A Center of Percussion placement         Reply with quote

Otto Karl wrote:
Hello everybody.
I was looking into the review collection, and noted something weird: the data from A&A Katzbalger Center of Percussion is missing! Do anyone of you know where is it placed?

I've never seen this Katzbalger, but given the relative predictability of the position of the blade vibration node, I can hazard a guess... I'd say the CoP is around 11-12in from the guard on this one.

(For what is worth, I used the formula CoP = Blade length - Overall length/3. Not exact, but seems within an inch on most swords reviewed here... In fact this inequality seems true:
Blade length - Overall length/3 < CoP < Blade length - Overall length/4)

I'm curious to see if the real number is far from that guess Wink

Otto Karl wrote:
As a newby I know there are important diferences between a Katzbalger and a Cutlass (i.e., Inertia about the longitidinal Axis), but I suppose there is very much in common, becouse them both are cutting type short Swords (O.K., not really, the last one is more like a Saber). So I suppose the general features are quite similar: lenght, inertia, Point of Balance location, Point of Percussion location. I am right, or is my Analysis a bit fallacious?

It's hard to be sure without studying specimens of both types... I would have said that the cutlass were a bit longer, so that inertia and point of balance could be different, but really I don't know...

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Otto, the Arms & Armor "Katzbalger" has been on my To Get List for a few years now, it''s not a matter of "if", it is a matter of "when" I buy this sword with it's matching dagger. I don't know the CoP, but as a result of your post I am going to write an email to Craig of Arms & Armor and ask him for some of the particulars on this really great sword. I have heard from a few people that this sword made by A & A is an awesome sword, that it wields with great superiority and response, fast to recover from cuts and thrusts, though it is mainly a cutting sword.
I have 9 of their swords, 1 rapier and the German Rapier (which is a gift to my wife Gayle) in production now, 12 of their polearms, 5 daggers and 2 bucklers. I have as of yet to get a piece from Arms & Armor that I am not absolutely thrilled with, I say this because I've never had the opportunity to wield or see in person the Katzbalger, but I have no doubt it is everything they say it is and more so!
Incidentally, my wife is very excited about getting the German Rapier, I bought her the matching dagger in early November. She likes daggers a lot, even more so now than before, so I guess I will have to buy her a dagger from time to time to add to her 5 present daggers. Sorry I kind of drifted with this last paragraph, I guess I am just so excited about buying her the rapier, which will be solely her very own!

Sincerely,

Bob
Chris Olsen

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i have one sitting on my kitchen counter downstairs, if someone tells me how to find the CoP i will gladly do it.

and on a side note i really love this sword, the one i have is borrowed so I can clean it up after a year of ren-fests, i may have to seriously look into one of my own... so much for a new truck <lol>

chris
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chris, hold the sword by it's grip so that the flat of the blade is horizontal to the floor and then hit the pommel, look for the area of least vibration between the distal and proximal vibration.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can see my review of the piece here:

http://www.tritonworks.com/reviews?content=re...katzbalger

I didn't put down the center of percussion either for the simple reason that using the standard method of striking the pommel and looking for the vibration nodes is pretty much impossible with this piece. The blade is simply too stiff and too short. If it helps the piece feels very nice in hand and does not seem to transmit shock to the user unreasonably.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know I've always wonder, given the long ricasso for such a short blade, if this sword wasn't cut down from a longer sword.
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As you can probably tell by Russ's post, I have never had the chance to hold an Arms & Armor Katzbalger. Laughing Out Loud

This is what I mean by myArmoury being such an excellent website with all the experts here, such as
Russ Ellis who makes some of the best made and most beautiful scabbards, belts and baldrics out there.
Personally, I can't hardly wait till I have the opportunity to have a top of the line scabbard, etc. by him!

One of these days I am going to order an Arms & Armor Katzbalger with it's dagger!

Thanks Russ,

Bob
Chris Olsen

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i ahve to agree with russ, i have hit the silly thing a couple times and there really isn't much that can discern when it com,es to center of procussion. I will also say that it handles very well, and would be a great addiction to any persons personal armoury.

chris
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Olsen wrote:
i ahve to agree with russ, i have hit the silly thing a couple times and there really isn't much that can discern when it com,es to center of procussion. I will also say that it handles very well, and would be a great addiction to any persons personal armoury.

Sometimes there is a possibility to locate the CoP by the sound on very stiff blades. if you hit lightly with your knuckles on different parts of the blade, the ring of steel should be the shortest just at the CoP. On other blades even this fails because of dampening. I've been able to find a "CoP" on some wooden swords like that.

Of course the significance of the CoP as a statistic on these stiff blades is another matter Happy

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all Big Grin

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 25 Dec, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
As you can probably tell by Russ's post, I have never had the chance to hold an Arms & Armor Katzbalger. Laughing Out Loud

This is what I mean by myArmoury being such an excellent website with all the experts here, such as
Russ Ellis who makes some of the best made and most beautiful scabbards, belts and baldrics out there.
Personally, I can't hardly wait till I have the opportunity to have a top of the line scabbard, etc. by him!

One of these days I am going to order an Arms & Armor Katzbalger with it's dagger!

Thanks Russ,

Bob

LOL. Thanks Bob, the check is in the mail... Wink

There are certainly experts here, but I'm just some guy that happens to own that particular piece... Blush

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 25 Dec, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
You know I've always wonder, given the long ricasso for such a short blade, if this sword wasn't cut down from a longer sword.

That's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility although I will say that it handles pretty darnded well as is, I'm wondering what adding an extra six or eight inches (or more) of blade would do to the balance?

*Note that I'm referring to the replica only I have no idea what the original handles like. It may well be that the boys at A&A changed the balance around on this piece to make it handle better as is.

Bob Burns

PostPosted: Tue 25 Dec, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your very welcome Russ, however, it is quite true, with your scabbards, baldrics and belts, one is more beautiful than the next. I have seen your work in person at the Bristol Renaissance fair proudly displayed on a few different guys and they are no less than "Striking" to the eye Exclamation My wife "Gayle" also saw them and she is of the same opinion, calling you both an artisan and an artist!

Most Sincerely!

Bob
Otto Karl

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Olsen wrote:
i have one sitting on my kitchen counter downstairs, if someone tells me how to find the CoP i will gladly do it.

and on a side note i really love this sword, the one i have is borrowed so I can clean it up after a year of ren-fests, i may have to seriously look into one of my own... so much for a new truck <lol>

chris

The CoP is the point of the Sword that "does not kick back when strucked", i.e., you don`t feel the blow in your hand when you strike something. It depends not only on the charactheristics of the Sword itself, but on the point in wich it is held. You can search the CoP by marking points on the Blade and striking something. There are two posibilities: feel the blow in the Fingers or at the Palm of the Hand. When you find each of those Points, the CoP is "somewhere inbetween", so the work now is chasing that Point by doing more and nearer Marks. Get fun, and Happy new Year!
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 30 Dec, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The way I find easiest to find the approx. COP is to hold the sword horizontal in front of me with the edges aligned vertically and slap the flat of the blade sideways at various points (or even better, have someone else do it). When you hit the COP the whole sword will feel stiff and register a sharp kick in your hand, hitting other parts of the blade will cause it to flex with much less feedback to the hand. This is less effective with shorter and/or stiffer blades but if you can't find it using this method it probably isn't critical in practice anyway.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A&A Katzbalger Center of Percussion placement
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic