Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Photos and Thoughts" ATRIM Makers Mark XIIProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jan, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Photos and Thoughts" ATRIM Makers Mark XII         Reply with quote

Stats:

Weight: 2 lbs 3.4 ounces
Overall Length: 38.5 inches
Grip: 4 and ½ inches (just a measure of the grip area)
Blade Length: 31 and 9/10inches
Point of Balance: approx. 4.5 inches from guard
Center or Percussion: approx. 22 inches from guard
Distal Taper
At Crossguard -.55 cm
At COP - .30 cm

Link to Site with specs:
http://web.mac.com/christianfletcher...shoulders.html

I got fairly different stats when I measured this sword. When I first picked it up, I new this was a bit longer than a 36 incher.

I am not going into full review mode, just wanted to note the stats I measured and post some of my own photos. I think its a unique and well executed sword. Gus used an excellent term when he noted that it was a hard-hitting sword. Good choice of words that I would agree with. Its longer than I expected given the posted stats, it could almost be a cavalry sword, but its good.

I really like what Gus has done with his grips since I last purchased a stock Gus Trim blade. For the price, I don't think you could find a better put together single hander. I am likely going to buy a few more of this line.

Some other thoughts:
I had an "idea" of how I expected this sword to handle based upon its photos and rough stats. I wouldn't say I was wrong with that original idea, but having it in person, I found a lot of surprises about it. I would say its one of the first, if not the first, non-sabre/curved sword to give you that distinctive "floating" feeling when in motion. And that can be deceptive at first because you can begin to think its a lightweight.

Example. One of the techniques I use to assess handling is a cutting exercise. I hang two half gallon milk jugs on the same rope so that they are touching. I then attempt two consecutive strikes, one at each jug, in the hope that each strike will cut one and only one jug. Since they are hanging, you only get the one shot if you mess up. I feel this gives a good indication of how "easy" it is to use wrist movements to finish a relatively shallow cutting motion. Obviously not every sword is suited to this test, and I was unsure how well suited this one would be given how light it can feel. When I conducted this test with the XII, it was both effortless to control the two cuts, but also "hard hitting" enough to cleanly slice completely through both jugs.

Take the test and my skill level with a grain of salt, but its one thing I consistently use in my reviews, and I think I use it judiciously enough to know its value.

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Photos and Thoughts" ATRIM Makers Mark XIIProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic