Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Halberd heads Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bas K.

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Halberd heads         Reply with quote

Recently I stumbled upon an article written on this site http://medieval.stormthecastle.com/the-myster...alberd.htm dealing with someone who found 2 Halberd heads on the attic of an old apartement building and is curious about their identity.
I tought it would be fun trying to uncover this, but it was harder than I tought.
I managed to come in contact with the owner and he gave me some more specific info about them:

They where found in: North adams, Ma, USA
They are both engraved with a number near where the shaft would be inserted, the first reading 3940, the other 3946 (wich lead me to believe it was mass produced).
What condition they where found in: he found them in a forgotten box, in the attic of an old apartment building. They where wrapped in plastic with a very heavy coating of oil (smelled liked old gun oil).

Judging from the pictures and the fact they are unsharpened I think they where made for decorative and/or ceremonial purpose.

Maybe someone can shed some more light on these Halberd heads.

Once More unto the Breach, My Friends.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To have matched and serial numbered heads would pretty much seal the case for these being modern (19th or early 20th c.) even if they didn't also share the same finish and cater to the 19th century taste for the more elaborate later arms. Their form is not more elaborate than some late halberds, which tended to be badges of (noncomissioned) rank rather than practical weapons. Technically, these probably are antique halberd heads, but I'd vote for 100 years old rather than 300 years old. Whatever their original purpose, they appear to be well made, with close attention to details such as the construction of the socket. Haft, `em up with big red tassles and they'd be nice decorative pieces. If they were mine and I could confirm that they're modern I might clean the main surfaces just enough to help the darker etching stand out.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Fri 25 Jan, 2008 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Bas K.

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
To have matched and serial numbered heads would pretty much seal the case for these being modern (19th or early 20th c.) even if they didn't look so theatrical. That's not to say that these are more elaborate than some late halberds, which tended to be badges of (noncomissioned) rank rather than practical weapons. Technically, these probably are antique halberd heads, but I'd vote for 100 years old rather than 300 years old. Theatrical/ceremonial props, I'd say. Haft, `em up with big red tassles and they'd be nice decorative pieces.

I think you are right about how old they are, the owner found them in a box along with some playboys from the 50s I think if they where realy worth something the person who lived in the apartement before would not have left them there.

Once More unto the Breach, My Friends.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Playboys sound about right--dead center between1930s and 1970s medieval decorative crazes--I can picture these halberds in either the panneled library of a half-timber 1930s home or in a Spanish-themed living room ca. 1974--deep shag, wrought iron hanging lamps, lurid paintings, lots of brown and orange.

Oh, and one never knows what folks will throw out or abandon. A collector I know got a call one day notifying him that somebody's neighbor had just put a 19th century military sword on her trash pile for the city to take to the dump. The same collector had a standing offer of $100 for any sword--he got some junk, of course, but he also got some treasures.

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Halberds and Playboys         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:

"The Playboys sound about right--dead center between1930s and 1970s medieval decorative crazes--I can picture these halberds in either the panneled library of a half-timber 1930s home or in a Spanish-themed living room ca. 1974--deep shag, wrought iron hanging lamps, lurid paintings, lots of brown and orange."

Eeewww! It's my stepfather's basement! Razz Exclamation

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Halberds and Playboys         Reply with quote

Christopher Gregg wrote:

Eeewww! It's my stepfather's basement! Razz Exclamation

I'm of the so-called Generation X--a young kid in the `70s--and I can practically taste this decor. On the plus side, the gothic revival probably gets at least some credit for stimulating the imaginations of many of us who now collect arms and armour.

Europe was a great travel bargain in those days and LOTS of folks toured the great arms and armour collections, brought back Genuine Toledo Swords, matching halberd heads, etc. I plead guilty as charged. Sitting in some dusty slide carousel is a Kodachrome of a Spanish castle tour guide placing an antique morion on my wee noggin. Something very old seeped out of it into my brain.

-Sean

Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Halberds, etc.         Reply with quote

I hear ya Sean.

I also have recollections from those times - I remember rummaging through junk shops looking at all this kind of stuff - the "iron-look" chandeliers, the fake swords, the matador paintings, etc. I guess it really helped me get into the hobby in a small way, too! Weird, but perhaps the "tastes" of the past can lead to greater things and an appreciation of history. Wink

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Oh, and one never knows what folks will throw out or abandon. A collector I know got a call one day notifying him that somebody's neighbor had just put a 19th century military sword on her trash pile for the city to take to the dump.

Oh, the horror! The horror, I say! Sad

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Halberd heads
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic