Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early Spanish Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Early Spanish Sword         Reply with quote

I am thinking about a new acquisition soon and I am looking at this piece.
Can I get some commits on this sword? I like the shape and hardware, (i.e. pommel and crossguard) on this but I am not sure if it's a spainish sword?

If I remember correct, there was a discussion on that. Looks almost close to the A&A the Henry V sword in style. What type is this anyway?

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe I'm overstretching quite a bit, but my impression is that the indian blade is a bit to shiny to be good steel, while the AA sends a good old style steely feeling to my eye.
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have been looking at this sword too. i believe it's a type XVIII. I seem to recall the conversation you're thing of. In that conversation I think it was said its of the same family as the Henry V sword.

here's the thread it was disscussed in: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...hlight=mrl

Again, I really like this sword and am interested in hearing any comments on it.

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all, its been a while since I posted on here, Had some employment issues over the summer ( namely being unemployed for 3 months) so decided to give swords a break for a while as my finances where in no shape to buy any new pieces and looking at the new Albion offerings just made me bright green with envy! Sad Big Grin

Anyway to get back on topic this piece from Windlass was my first sword in a while, just got it the other day, and these are my impressions of it.

Aesthetically it looks good. The guard is a bit on the thick side when you look down the sword but this is something you might expect from a sword at this price point. The pommel is quite well done too and has some nice shapes. The peen block is cast with the pommel as far as I can tell. I'm not sure if the tang is peened over the pommel or the pommel is screwed on, I gave it a couple of twists and it didn't budge at all. If it is peened then they have done a god job of grinding it down. Either way everything is very tight and as it should be with no movement, feeling very solid in the hand. The grip is quite nicely shaped but I'm not much of a fan of the suede type leather covering as it chafes after handing for a while. Wearing gloves would of course cure this problem or a grip rewrap would be another option.

The blade is very broad at the hilt and has quite a very nice profile and flattened diamond shape. Its quite a stiff blade, as is fitting of a sword of this type and era, and has none of the whippyness that past windlass swords have suffered from. Its also a surprisingly long sword too I was expecting something a little shorter. Despite what the blurb from windlass says about the sword, I can see no evidence of hollow grinding, if its there its very subtle. As I don't have any calipers or similar I can't say if it has much if any distal taper to it.

Now however we come to the major problem with this sword; the weight! Kult of Athena list it as weighing in at 4lbs 4oz and unfortunately they aren't kidding! It is very heavy for a single hander; too heavy in fact. At almost twice the weight of the A&A Henry V it is very slow and takes quite an effort to recover from a cut. My arm is still aching from swinging it. It even makes my Del Tin 2131 fell light and fast! Balance wise its not too bad due to the tapering blade and the mass at the guard its just the total weight that scuppers it. If the blade had some effective hollow grinding and distal taper it might be another story.

So to sum up lookswise its a very attractive sword from Windlass IMO, but for performance you might be better with something like the Windlass Sword of Auray, which has been rumoured to be Windlass' best single hander from what I've read. With some work on it to kill the shinyness of the steel and maybe a new grip covering (possibe antiquing too) it would make a great presentation piece or wall hanger but its a real shame that as a funcional sword it just doesn't cut it (pardon the pun).

As to possible Iberian origins: I can't see anthing that would make it particularly Spanish at all, it would fit in anywhere in late 14th, early to mid 15th century Europe. Which doesn't make it very early either. Wink

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Over 4 pounds? Wow, that's a bit heavy. Sword of Auray is half that and has a wood handle uncovered.
Have you thought about the A&A?
It's more money and shorter blade, but it looks a little plain.

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw the weight on KOA, was pretty shocked. i'm aware that that a lot of the lower end sword models can be overweight, but over four pounds is just absurd. I went looking around at different websites trying to find another weight. the Museum Replicas websites lists it as a little over 3lbs. still heavy, but not as bad as 4 lbs.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I saw the weight listed on KoA I thought it must have been a typo! So I carried out a rough experament; got on the scales at home and weighed myself ( I won't say how heavy I am, but I haven't worked of those extra Xmas pounds just yet Big Grin ) then picked up the sword and weighed myself again and sure enough I was approx 4lbs heavier. Don't know why there is a difference in the listed weights.
'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
L. Bailey

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="David Sutton"]
So to sum up lookswise its a very attractive sword from Windlass IMO, but for performance you might be better with something like the Windlass Sword of Auray, which has been rumoured to be Windlass' best single hander from what I've read. /quote]

The sword of auray is a great sword. I have it, and it handles like a dream.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early Spanish Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic