Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's that? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Antal László

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 01 Feb, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: What's that?         Reply with quote

Greetings fellows!
I've found this photo about this sword, some of you may know it. I'm not sure, but maybe it was sold by MRL, and maybe manufactured by Windlass.
What is that brass like piece of metal under the guard? Is the guard fixed with that?

Attachment: 63.5 KB
IMG_1565.jpg

Attachment: 15.11 KB
IMG_1563.jpg
Here is an entire view of the hilt
Eric Spitler

PostPosted: Fri 01 Feb, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's the Godfred by Hanwei, I used to have one. It's just a little lip of metal, probably epoxied to the guard to hide a rough cut slot for the blade.
"I never heard a corpse ask how it got so cold."
- Richard, The Lion in Winter
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 01 Feb, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Weapons Emporium lists having one in stock. http://www.weaponsemporium.com/WE-Premium%20Swords.htm
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Fri 01 Feb, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That was once manufactured by Windlass and sold through MRL as the Damascus Viking Sword. Hanwei makes an almost identical weapon and they call it the Godfred Sword. I bought the Windlass one from MRL in 2000 or so and I was actually very happy with it. Easily my favorite MRL sword. I still have it somewhere.

The brass piece is similar to the ones found on Japanese swords; seppa I believe they're called. The blade overlaps it slightly, so you can't really take it off. It isn't historical for a Viking sword and it serves no purpose that I can see, except maybe looks. It also makes a pleasant clicking sound when you slide it into the scabbard. Happy

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Antal László

PostPosted: Fri 01 Feb, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aha, so it is there, because somebody tought, it looks cool. I thought, that the guard is somehow wedged on the blade with that piece of metal.
Yes, I know, that it is not historical.

Eric Spitler wrote: That's the Godfred by Hanwei, I used to have one. It's just a little lip of metal, probably epoxied to the guard to hide a rough cut slot for the blade.
How though is this epoxy? I have read about it on the forum, I know that there is a special sort of epoxy for metal. Isn't it brittle after hardening?
Eric Spitler

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Antal László wrote:
Aha, so it is there, because somebody tought, it looks cool. I thought, that the guard is somehow wedged on the blade with that piece of metal.
Yes, I know, that it is not historical.

Eric Spitler wrote: That's the Godfred by Hanwei, I used to have one. It's just a little lip of metal, probably epoxied to the guard to hide a rough cut slot for the blade.
How though is this epoxy? I have read about it on the forum, I know that there is a special sort of epoxy for metal. Isn't it brittle after hardening?

It may not be epoxied then, I just guessed because I didn't see any rivets or anything. It could also just be held between the blade and guard, like a washer. Either way I think it's purely cosmetic.

"I never heard a corpse ask how it got so cold."
- Richard, The Lion in Winter
Antal László

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience in using this epoxy?
Thanks for the answers guys!
Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Antal László wrote:

Well, actually I have used it (epoxy is usually a two-part resin that when mixed glues/bonds/hardens/sticks very well once set)... among other things, I had an "incident" in which my side mirror of my car came in contact with a post (got a little too close) and got torn nearly off. I used the epoxy to remount it. Once set, it was a solid as can be.
If by brittle you mean does it break... I'd say the metal is more likely to fail than the epoxy.

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Watt wrote:
Antal László wrote:

Well, actually I have used it (epoxy is usually a two-part resin that when mixed glues/bonds/hardens/sticks very well once set)... among other things, I had an "incident" in which my side mirror of my car came in contact with a post (got a little too close) and got torn nearly off. I used the epoxy to remount it. Once set, it was a solid as can be.
If by brittle you mean does it break... I'd say the metal is more likely to fail than the epoxy.

I remember my first uses of epoxy around 1970 and in those days the bond of the adhesive seemed strong but very brittle as a sideways shear would break the bond.

At some point in time the formula for epoxy glues were improved and now seems strong and not easy to break.

Maybe epoxy glues are not available everywhere in the world but are very easy to find In Canada or the U.S.A. ?

Oh, there are various brands and kinds: Metal epoxy, slow setting epoxy and 5 minute setting epoxies.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Adam Bodorics
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To avoid the chance of the epoxy failing sideways, I drill small, shallow holes in both metals. So far it worked wonderfully... Happy
The type of e' I use have adjustable hardness, depending on the amount of component B in the mix. If a little is added, it hardens slowly and becomes a bit rubber-like, if a lot is added, it gets very hard&brittle, if you add even more, it starts smoking due to the exoterm process.... Laughing Out Loud

László, ha Magyarországon jársz, van egy Albonczy nevezetű epoxigyanta, elég olcsó ahhoz, hogy kipróbáld... kétkomponensű műgyantaként biztosan felfogja az eladó is, hogy miről beszélsz... Laughing Out Loud
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have this sword the Hanwei Godfred Viking Sword, however mine was bought in the last 2 years and as I've been told there have been many improvements since the earlier manufacting of swords by Hanwei. While I've read complaints on this sword, though it seems that those complaints were consistant with earlier version of the Godfred. I've done a lot of cutting with mine and I have not one complaint, it cuts very well and one place to find this sword at a low price would be
www.kultofathena.com Some vendors sell this sword for around $500.00, the place I listed sells it for just over $300.00.

Hope this helps!

Bob
Antal László

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers!

Adam Bodorics wrote:
To avoid the chance of the epoxy failing sideways, I drill small, shallow holes in both metals. So far it worked wonderfully... Happy
The type of e' I use have adjustable hardness, depending on the amount of component B in the mix. If a little is added, it hardens slowly and becomes a bit rubber-like, if a lot is added, it gets very hard&brittle, if you add even more, it starts smoking due to the exoterm process.... Laughing Out Loud

Thanks for sharing your experience. Would it be possible to fix with epoxy a loosen cross guard on a sword what is used for reenactment?

Adam Bodorics wrote:
László, ha Magyarországon jársz, van egy Albonczy nevezetű epoxigyanta, elég olcsó ahhoz, hogy kipróbáld... kétkomponensű műgyantaként biztosan felfogja az eladó is, hogy miről beszélsz... Laughing Out Loud

Kösz a tippet! Laughing Out Loud Meg fogom próbálni, de legközelebb csak nyáron megyek haza. Minden jót!
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WTF?! some one said they had one made by mrl is this true the 2 damascus viking swords ive seen by mrl look diffrent?
ne way i used to use epoxy to hilt knive until i found way to make an equaly strong glue made from antler shavings and beeswax

Charles Stewart Rodriguez
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yes it would be possible to use epoxy but i would suggest melting pewter or lead like a sodder or u could use ferrel-tite not sure of th spelling its normally used for attatching arrow heads but can be used like glue and looks like beeswax and anler when dried
Charles Stewart Rodriguez
J. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello to all. I've been around for a while, but rarely post. I bought one of the earlier versions of this sword (before they extended the fuller to the guard). I'm not sure what functional purpose the piece in question serves, but I have never had a problem with the hilt of this sword. I have only done light cutting, but it has held up better than anything I own, which I regret are mostly low end production swords.

If you are interested in purchasing this sword feel free to pm me. I'm not trying to sell you mine, but I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have to the best of my ability.

Scott
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Antal László wrote:
Adam Bodorics wrote:

Kösz a tippet! Laughing Out Loud Meg fogom próbálni, de legközelebb csak nyáron megyek haza. Minden jót!

Please limit your posts to the English language, per our forum rules. Thank you.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's that?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic