Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gaddhjalt sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Gaddhjalt sword         Reply with quote

I would like to discuss about the Gaddhjalt sword for my new project because of wikipedia i am not certain of something they say that the Gaddhjalt can have a disk shaped pommel but i haven't seen it in internet for now. i've searched on google but without success so if someone in this site can help me on this one it would be good and i would like to make this sword the most historically as possible so i would like to have the measurement of the components of the hilt too if possible.

thanks to those who will help me on this tread.
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

AFAIK, Gaddhjalt refers to the type of guard the sword had rather than a general description of the hilt. IIRC correctly 'Gaddhjalt' means spiked and describes how the quillons of the guard were tapered to an elegant almost sharp point. Hence the spike. As this type of hilt appeared towards the end of the Viking era, they genrally have brazil nut shaped pommels in line with the prevailing fashions of the time.

But I see no reason why they they couldn't have disk shaped pommels as the 'Gaddhjalt' hilt spillsover into the early medieval era.

Plus, 'Gaddhjalt hilt is sometimes used to describe any sword that has a long thin tapering guard. For example see the A&A 'Duke of Urbino' sword.

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Darrin Hughes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If the wikipedia entry that you are refering to is the Oakeshott typology one, then I think the comment about Brazil-nut or disk shaped pommels is meant to refer to Type X swords in general, rather than just Gaddhjalts specifically. I would agree with David though, in that I see no reason why a sword from the 11th or 12th century shouldn't have a Spike-hilt with a wheel pommel, as these seem to have been amongst the most common hilt components at the time.

As far as dimensions are concerned, I would have thought that that would rely, at least in part, on the mass of the blade. After all, the amount of material in the hilt helps to determine the balance of the sword, so a degree of variation would have existed depending on what felt 'right' to the Smith and/or the customer.

Cheers,
Darrin.
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry for the error the question was for the type X swords so for some pics of the old ones and for the replica (not the ones on the Oakeshott pages) i would be gratefull and for some measurements as well(according to the blade weight) . if the blade is made of 1060 high carbon steel and is at least 36" what would be the Weight for it (if you take any blade on the market)?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
Sorry for the error the question was for the type X swords so for some pics of the old ones and for the replica (not the ones on the Oakeshott pages) i would be gratefull and for some measurements as well(according to the blade weight) . if the blade is made of 1060 high carbon steel and is at least 36" what would be the Weight for it (if you take any blade on the market)?

If you look at the statistics of the relevant Albion or A & A swords for weight and dimensions of handle and sort of average them out you should have a general idea of what would work for a single hander I think.

You can adapt things to your hand size a bit or cheat the dimensions +/- 10% I think ? No single correct answer but a range of
plausible dimensions.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 07 Feb, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
if the blade is made of 1060 high carbon steel and is at least 36" what would be the Weight for it (if you take any blade on the market)?

That will depend on width, thickness, and overall shape and mass distribution.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

width : 2" at base
Thickness: 1/4"
the blade geometry is narrow fullered
and for the last what do you mean by mass distribution?
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mass distribution has a lot to do with distal taper. For example, a lower end replica that exhibits little to no distal taper is going to weigh a lot more than a higher quality blade with correct distal taper, even though they may have the exact same profile taper. Mass distribution is being able to have the thickness where you need it to exhibit good handling and performance.
I'm sure others will chime in and give a better explanation, but that's my quick and dirty version.
Hope it helps some,
Dan

I believe that if you click the highlighted words in my post they will take you to articles explaining them.
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a little distal taper in the blade but not enough to see it clearly. and personally i don't care if my sword is heavy because it will help me to train my battle speed skills and accuracy so when i will come up with a new sword ( less heavier)
i will move faster and have more control on my sword ( this put lifting weight as a good training for this).

and for those who thinks that is not a good training, i did it but for staves so i think in theory that it will make no difference for this sword.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gaddhjalt sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic