Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL generic German Hand-and-a-Half...worth buying? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: MRL generic German Hand-and-a-Half...worth buying?         Reply with quote

http://www.museumreplicas.com/museumreplicas/detail.aspx?ID=1349

It's on closeout, so they're finally offering it at a price I might have a hope of meeting (I am a broke student), but I don't have any idea of the blade's quality, since there's not a review on the main site. I'm certainly not expecting anything spectacular (spectacular being defined as an Albion or A&A piece), but is it even worth the price they're asking?

If anyone who has one could chime in, please do. I'd be very grateful.

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi i'm in the same situation you are, Confused I have had experience with Museum Replicas though. I bought my first mrl for 215 dollars after a year of savings. if you wish to use the sword then you are going to have to be ready for a loose hilt and ratteling blade. the edge it comes with is quite dull but if you get it sharpened it ruins the historical edge geometry. my mrl i cut a pumpkin with and i am not lying on the first cut i hit a pumpkin sead and got a nick on the blade. also the whole hilt came loose. if u get an mrl it will be coated in laquer which is basically thin plastic which on mine had hair and cloth caught in and appeared to have rust under neath it took about 45 min. of hard sanding to remove the laquer one coat of metal glo after the laquer was removed and i have yet to have it rust.my suggestion hold your money and get a squire line by albion there is a squire line long sword for like around 389$ i think off the top of my head and it will de much much better. Laughing Out Loud if you just want a display peice buy the mrl and take of the laquer.
Charles Stewart Rodriguez
P. Cha

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well...MRL has gotten better...that is to say windlass has gotten better. They still suffer from poor fitting so if you can't deal with that, then you may wish to save your money for something else. Windlass also is pretty soft temper so you will need to sharpen often if you intend to cut with it often. So really, it depends on what you wanna a sword for really. To look pretty but be actually useable because it makes you feel better? Re-enactment? Light cutting? Heavy cutting? Sword abuse? A replica?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL generic German Hand-and-a-Half...worth buying?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic