Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How were compound hilts made? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: How were compound hilts made?         Reply with quote

That's the correct term, I hope? My question concerns swords with hilts consisting of several bars and rings joined together, such as swept hilt rapiers, side-swords, certain hand-and-a-half swords, etc.

Basically, how were these hilts made historically? Where they cast, or welded? And how are they typically made today for reproductions?

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Antal László

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,
Check this link http://www.templ.net/english/making-hilts.php
You may find it interesting, however the maker does not let out much of his technic. In my oppinion that is the historical method.
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have looked into this myself and discussed it with those who have handled and studied originals, mainly concerning British basket hilts. They appear to have been forge-welded in many cases, although some designs could be and were made by piercing and forming flat sheet, and brazed joints are not unknown either. Brazed joints are often seen on repairs. Riveted joints were used occasionally but usually only on selected joints on any particular hilt. Attatching the "cup" to a cup-hilt rapier is an example of a common rivet joint. Later pieces may have screws in place of rivets.
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, both of you. Happy

Forge welding, huh? Is that more advantageous to regular welding, somehow? Or could the same results be achieved with electrical or gas welding methods?

-Homer Simpson.
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anders Backlund wrote:
Forge welding, huh? Is that more advantageous to regular welding, somehow? Or could the same results be achieved with electrical or gas welding methods?

Well, when do you think either of those two was invented Wink

Even when I learned it welding, wether gas or electric, was not in the same universe as it is now. Building a motorcycle frame was done by brazing as a rule p.e. Nowadays you can buy welding rods to electrically join all but the most exotic metals in the village hardware store fitting your portable.
I guess compound hilt making went out centuries before gas/electric welding came in.

About the results: welding by whatever method makes a joint and the skill of the welder determaines how good it is.
The snag wilt gas/electric is that it applies heat locally which can warp the pieces and will change the structure of the metals unevenly. Modern methods have made great leaps of improvement by reducing the heat to very locally, minimising the effects. Not to mention the ' gas' mantle that can choosen to do wonders if wanted.

A link from the spanish steel thread gives a nice example of non-welding assemby
http://www.mimesdeazzaria.es/Fabricacion/Gale...aleria.htm

peter
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think what Peter said about the skill and care of the welder being the major factor is correct. Another difference with a forge weld however is that if done cleanly, with no impurities in the joint, it forms a totally homogenous joint. Modern welding methods generally use a filler wire, stick or rod which may be similar in alloy/content but will rarely if ever be identical to the parent pieces so in the weld itself you have a steel that is dissimilar to some degree. If the weld is done properly for the application it should not be weaker than the parent material but some processes such as heat treating or machining can be affected by the difference in the weld material. For hilts this is probably disregardable, although the weld may age differently than the parent material.
Historically I think most forge-welded hilts were made of wrought iron which is supposedly easier to forge weld than most modern steels.

Last edited by Justin King on Sat 16 Feb, 2008 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Bosman wrote:
Anders Backlund wrote:

Well, when do you think either of those two was invented Wink

Even when I learned it welding, wether gas or electric, was not in the same universe as it is now. Building a motorcycle frame was done by brazing as a rule p.e. Nowadays you can buy welding rods to electrically join all but the most exotic metals in the village hardware store fitting your portable.
I guess compound hilt making went out centuries before gas/electric welding came in.

Oh, I'm well aware of that. But most modern swords are hardly made using the same methods as, say, the Renascence, are they? Wink

I was just wondering if forge welding is still the preferred method in our time, and if so if there is any practical reason for that.

Justin King wrote:
I think what Peter said about the skill and care of the welder being the major factor is correct. Another difference with a forge weld however is that if done cleanly, with no impurities in the joint, it forms a totally homogenous joint. Modern welding methods generally use a filler wire, stick or rod which may be similar in alloy/content but will rarely if ever be identical to the parent pieces so you in the weld itself you have a steel that is dissimilar to some degree. If the weld is done properly for the application it should not be weaker than the parent material but some processes such as heat treating or machining can be affected by the difference in the weld material. For hilts this is probably disregardable, although the weld may age differently than the parent material.
Historically I think most forge-welded hilts were made of wrought iron which is supposedly easier to forge weld than most modern steels.

Oh, definitely. I've handled both and wrought iron is both softer to shape and doesn't burn up quite as easily at high temperatures.

-Homer Simpson.
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anders Backlund wrote:
But most modern swords are hardly made using the same methods as, say, the Renascence, are they? Wink

Nor for the same purpose.

Justin made an appropriate remark concerning this about the demands on a hilt. In general a loaded piece that is not critical at the welds is too sturdy for the purpose Idea
Same thing applies to a hilt meant for serious use and this is where forge welding has strength because when well designed and -made there is no weak link in this chain whereas modern welds often are.

peter
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One other worth while aspect of the welding method;
When comparing results from highly skilled craftsmen who are fully competent with the respective methods, forge welded joints are undeniably more beautiful and flowing as if the entire guard were somehow miraculously constructed out of a single piece of metal that was perfectly split and formed. I have excellent welders at my work who are competent with Arc, TIG, MIG, gas torch, etc. Despite 20+ year careers of full time welding, what they produce does not compare visually with the forge welded work we see in some authentic-historical sword guards.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Vaclav Homan

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Forge welding is unique and more better than modern welding methods. It is more difficult to learn and there are danger (defect). Patrik Barta work with wery old iron (knobbled iron? from baroque garden). Process forge welding of the renaissance handel (and other smoll objects) hanging by fast work and one good hammer blow. Bad, late, bad location hammer blow can destroyed weld.
And is not truth that all current materials are not good to forge welding. It is possible to welding iron and cast iron and some alloy steel. In this case is important use to welding mediums (fullers earth, sand, file dust....).

There is only one art of fence yet many ways to reach it
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Bosman wrote:

Justin made an appropriate remark concerning this about the demands on a hilt. In general a loaded piece that is not critical at the welds is too sturdy for the purpose Idea
Same thing applies to a hilt meant for serious use and this is where forge welding has strength because when well designed and -made there is no weak link in this chain whereas modern welds often are.

Jared Smith wrote:
One other worth while aspect of the welding method;
When comparing results from highly skilled craftsmen who are fully competent with the respective methods, forge welded joints are undeniably more beautiful and flowing as if the entire guard were somehow miraculously constructed out of a single piece of metal that was perfectly split and formed. I have excellent welders at my work who are competent with Arc, TIG, MIG, gas torch, etc. Despite 20+ year careers of full time welding, what they produce does not compare visually with the forge welded work we see in some authentic-historical sword guards.

See, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks. Happy

-Homer Simpson.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How were compound hilts made?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic