Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > looking for M 1917 / M 1941 USN cutlass handguard pattern Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bruce Irish

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: looking for M 1917 / M 1941 USN cutlass handguard pattern         Reply with quote

I have 2 never-assembled blades with about 98% bluing intact, believed to be WWII surplus M 1941 (no markings, unlike the M 1917), and want to create the pierced-style handguards for them. Would appreciate it if anyone having access to an original or to the Cold Steel M 1917 replica could trace / measure for me so I can have a pattern to go from. Also any tips on how to do the bending with no forge or mechanical roller will be appreciated.Thanks, all.
we have met the enemy and they is us
Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one (cold steel version)...
I have snapped some photos, and am trying to figure out how to get a good trace made (since it's a sharp blade, I'm a little spooked about flopping a piece of paper around on the guard)...
should get something posted up by this evening.

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Bruce Irish

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Much appreciated. I'll look forward to it.
Have had these blades lying around for about 20 years. Recently quit working 7 days a week, and am hoping to get caught up on hobbies.
Only other real blade I have is yet another 1917 / 1941, which has a home-made walnut handle and is pitted and dinged enough to look like an archeological find. Was probaly used as a corn knife and put up wet numerous times.

Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK. Here is my "best" effort.
Traced, then digitized, with notes added. The grey-area is an approximation, as I could not manage a trace of that area... btw, the handle on my cs 1917 cutlass is a walnut-looking hardwood, so what you've got may be the real thing.

Attachment: 84.11 KB
cutlass-hilt.gif

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Bruce Irish

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got it! many thanks.
Remembered while I was loading this to CD that I also have an Argentine short sword w/ metal scabbard, 20th century, which I used to carry instead of a machete when working in the woods--better balance and edge-holding than any machete I ever had. That's bout it for the "collection".
Thanks again.
When I get these cutlasses worked up, I'll try to post pics.

R. F. Smith

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mr. Irish,
The 1917 is an interesting sword with not much information available in print, though Peterson's "The American Sword" has a bit on it. Be aware that these were supplied to Indonesian rebels by the US, and also, if a photograph in an old Cold Steel catalog can be taken as evidence, used by US infantrymen in the Pacific campaigns of WW2. The one that looks as though it was used as a cane knife may well have been used as a "butcher" knife in either one of these locales. Removal of the guard would make it handier and more compact to carry certainly, and tropical climes can make just about anything look like a dug relic in short order.
I own one of the Cold Steel ones, which is a quality piece. If you're handy with tools and have a good eye, I'll bet you could duplicate the curve of the guard by using a mallet, vise and an appropriately sized wooden mandrel. As for the "cane knife", I'd just sip whiskey, roll it in my hands and wonder what it had been up to during its life.
Good luck with your toys.
Best...R.F.

Love many, trust few.
Always paddle your own canoe.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > looking for M 1917 / M 1941 USN cutlass handguard pattern
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic