Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Valiant Armoury Actium? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Comparing this sword to other gladii by other makers, I wondered if perhaps this wouldn't be a closer match to a fulham style gladius? The reason I ask is, if this type was changed, and we were looking at it as a fulham, would it be appeal more to the collector looking for historical accuracy? Fullers aside of coarse.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sure no one remembers Phoenix Metal Creations, but I got the profile of the blade from Erik a few years ago, and an illustration he had from some borrowed source. Sans fullers, the blade profile is accurate.......

The fullers? An artistic take on things. I have seen neither illustration or photo of a piece like this that had the fullers, but it really made the piece look nicer.....

The slim waist, accurate. The long point, accurate. The blade length, accurate. The fullers, artistic license........

swords are fun
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
The fullers, artistic license........

Well, I really like the look of it and since 100% historical accuracy is not an issue for me I find it very tempting and doubly so at the price.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:

There are two kinds of swords on the market...fantasy swords and historical swords.

I'd like to disagree here. You make it sound as if any sword that isn't historical is a fantasy sword. I believe that the term "fantasy sword" strongly implies a connection to the fantastical and an attempt to relay a specific aesthetic message; a sword representing a culture and evolution that doesn't exist in our world. Simply deviating from historical examples isn't enough, I think.

Michael Edelson wrote:

It is historically plausible for a 15th century German mercenary to wear a barbute (an Itallian helmet), but it is most often frowned upon if not outright forbidden in reenactment groups because such a thing would have been extremely rare for a rank and file soldier, even one who was well off. Reenactment seeks to portray what was common, rather than the exceptions, and these rules are usually there because everyone wants to be special and do their own thing, even if it was extremely rare in reality. A real German army may have had thousands of people and one or two in barbutes, whereas a typical reenactment troupe is lucky to get 30 people. If a bunch of them are wearing barbutes, you have a historical inaccurary.

Same thing with this sword. It will be an affordable production sword that comes with a scabbard. If I ran a Roman group and I allowed it, many of my guys would have them, and then people would think fullered, narrow and pointy gladii were common. This would be an inaccuracy.

If you're making a custom sword, that's one thing...but an affordable production piece should ideally strive to be not only accurate, but not uncommon in the period.

As consumers become more educated, this will happen on its own (you can already see a lot of evidence of increasingly educated consumers exerting their will in the market). I would prefer it happen sooner rather than later.

Ah, I see your point.

Though I do hope this prophesy of yours never comes to pass. I would find it very sad if the production sword market had no room for fun oddities. Wink

Michael Edelson wrote:

This is true, but as Chad mentioned collectors often have similar standards. After all, how many of Albion's products are sold to reenactors? 1%? 2%? I hate to keep bringing up Albion, but they're such a perfect example. Here is a company that makes what are arguably the finest production swords on the market and their biggest claim to fame is their historical accuracy. That suggests that historical accuracy is indeed important, though I'd throw in the caveat that below a certain price point, buyers are far less discriminating.

Oh, I dunno. Let's say Albion starts up a line of fantasy swords, keeping the same level of quality and attention to detail as always. You think people wouldn't buy them?

They're specialized in historical swords, yes, but I'm rather willing to bet that their success has less to do with their specialization and more to do with the fact that they make damn good swords.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting. Patrick Barta has two relatively early Roman swords with fullered blades, both based upon actual finds. The first is his no. 125, a Late Republican Gladius Hispaniensis, which is based upon a blade found in Grave 58 in Zemplin, Slovakia. The second is his no. 101 Canterbury-Kopi Type Roman Sword based upon a 2nd Century CE example in a museum in Krasnik, Poland. The no. 125 has 3 narrow fullers going nearly the whole length of the blade while the no. 101 appears to have 2 widely spaced short fullers at the base of the blade and the 3 narrowly spaced fullers going the length of the blade down to the taper to the point. Has anyone in this Forum seen either of the original swords or pictures thereof? It would be really fascinating to see if Patrick has made an "artistic interpretation" regarding the fullers.

Regarding the Valiant Armouries sword, it would make a better Gladius Hispaniensis than a Mainz, but it would require some changes to the scabbard design in order to do that. May I suggest an examination of Bishop's & Coulston's Roman Army Equipment: From the Punic Wars to the Fall of Rome for further consideration.

Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very narrow and not very deep fullers like the one in the Valiant armoury gladius and the fullers mentioned on historical ones mentioned by Hugh would seem to me to be there mostly for aesthetic reasons than for any functional reasons I think.

Earlier bronze age swords seemed to have multiple fullers, ridges and incised lines that also seem to be only partially functional and mostly decorative in my opinion, so making a sword " pretty " was always part of the design process.

( Oh, some of the bronze swords with thick central ridges have those ridges to strengthen the blades but I'm thinking much more of the multiple and light ridges or fullers creating nice patterns on the blades ).

In any case I really like the lines of the Valiant armoury Gladius.

Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since Albion has already been mentioned I might point out that at least one of their not-yet-realeased spatha types sports twin fullers. As I am not very knowledgeable on pre-medieval history I won't comment too much further but I think that they may not be too far out of context. Complex fullering appeared on pre-Roman bronze swords as well so such things existed both before and after the mainz.
Having said that, if there is no known example of a mainz with twin fullers I would not call it an accurate mainz gladius, and if I were looking to add a mainz to my collection I would have to pass on this one.
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin King wrote:
Since Albion has already been mentioned I might point out that at least one of their not-yet-realeased spatha types sports twin fullers. As I am not very knowledgeable on pre-medieval history I won't comment too much further but I think that they may not be too far out of context. Complex fullering appeared on pre-Roman bronze swords as well so such things existed both before and after the mainz.
Having said that, if there is no known example of a mainz with twin fullers I would not call it an accurate mainz gladius, and if I were looking to add a mainz to my collection I would have to pass on this one.

I'm not a romanesque kinda guy, so I had no intention of really researching this when it came up. My input on this was that there was a very few commonly copied patterns out there, patterns that nearly everyone used.

So..... the next thing is, who's the target audience? Its that target audience that you need to attract, not the rest of the sword community. There's no such thing as a sword that will make everyone happy. And if you know your period enough, and are anal enough, you can attack anything made today on a "historical accuracy" basis.

So, when CF and I looked at doing this, it was with the thought of using a historical pattern as inspiration, but not a commonly used one, as you see on Albion. Who needs to be accused of copying Albion? Besides, different target audiences.........

It was well understood when the sword was designed, that it would likely be ripped up on myArmoury. But, the target audience is the Roman enthusiast {not Roman reenactor} that will handle one of these up close and personal at a mall store or event booth.........The jury is out on that one, but we'll see..........

swords are fun
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mass manufacturing of the Gladius type swords may have been done to standard patterns at some times during the Roman period and " decorative " elements may have been dropped as a cost saving ( lowest bidder ? ).

Earlier manufacture in Republican times may have been more varied in design details and aesthetics more in fashion at times as well as the making more varied and done in smaller shops or factories ? Different factories may have worked with slightly different regional patterns ?

From what I have read here the Romans viewed the sword almost only as a work tool for the legionnaire and didn't have any great emotional attachment to swords ? An emperor, general or rich officer might have had a better quality of gladius or a more decorative one but in some cases a " working " general like Caesar ( fighting and leading from the front ) might just have used the same gladius in battle, even only for just a " republican " reason like using the same weapon as the common legionnaire for reasons of morale ? ( If the issue sword is good enough for the common soldier it's good enough for the general ). I'm seriously just guessing here and asking the question much more than saying that the above was the case.

Just to get back to the valiant Gladius: I imagine that the heat treat and other performance qualities should be better than most of the ones from other makers selling at equivalent prices ?

Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Valiant Actium         Reply with quote

Gus,

Too many sword people take the "it's not historically accurate enough for 'fill in the blank'" attitude, IMO. I think your design is beautiful, and historically plausible. Falcata swords often had decorative (functional?) fullers, and they're an even older design. Not saying that justifies putting fullers on just any sword, but I am saying that if a modern smith might want to decorate their design, then so might have an ancient smith. Just my $0.02 worth, and BTW, I don't own a Romanesque sword, but this one just might be my first! Wink

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I, for one, like the gladius design, and it was not my intent to rip it up on myArmoury. I was just trying to answer Chad's question, since he seemed to want to know how it might fit in to the spectrum of historical designs. I see nothing wrong with the design as a Roman inspired sword, but if it is an option, a non fullered pattern could attract buyers who otherwise have reenacment design requirements.

But it is a beautiful and stunning piece. I love the grip and hilt.

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Valiant Actium         Reply with quote

Christopher Gregg wrote:
Gus,

I don't own a Romanesque sword, but this one just might be my first! Wink

I second that. Big Grin

Darrin Hughes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like to back up Mike, and a couple of others here, in saying that I don't think this was intended as an attack on this sword. Chad asked about Historical accuracy out of curiousity, a number of us tried to answer as honestly as we could. At no point do I recall attacking the sword itself, in fact I said at least twice that I thought it was very attractive. Although I could live without the hearts around the diamond motif on the scabbard, it looks like somebody had a deck of cards in their eye-line when this was being designed.
However if you are going to give a sword a historical name, then you can expact a certain amount of stick if it doesn't match the type that it is named for. The Mainz Gladius was a specific sword named for the site where it was found. If you follow the outline, but then do something like adding the fullers it isn't a Mainz anymore. I'm afraid that I don't buy the historical plausibility argument in this case. If you had simply called it a Gladius and left it at that then you wouldn't have the same problem. People may still choose to argue over what sort of Gladius it might be, if they so wished, but they couldn't argue that it isn't a Gladius, ie, a short stabbing sword made popular by the Romans Happy

It is a little bit worrying when some well intended, and fairly gentle, constructive criticism is still perceived as an attack.

One quick comment about Albion for Anders. On the subject of Fantasy swords; Albion do have a range of Fantasy swords with the Lady Vivamus, Martian Longsword, Hessian, etc, and I'm guessing that they don't sell in anything like the sort of numbers that the NG swords do. Possibly because they are pretty expensive. I would love to own a Lady Vivamus, I think it is a beautiful sword, I just can't justify spending that sort of cash at the moment when there are so many other things to pay for Sad

I'd also be quite interested in knowing how many of the people saying that a little bit of artistic license is OK for a sword manufacturer, are the same ones who will jump on film-makers when they decide to get creative. I'm pretty sure that the makers of the most recent King Arthur movie tried to say that their movie was Historically Plausible based on new research. If the answer is none of you, then I apologise in advance.

Cheers,
Darrin.

btw, if I'd wanted to be really picky, then I could have pointed out that the Battle of Actium was in fact a major naval engagement, and so not one where the Gladius would have figured prominently, except when ships were being boarded. But no doubt it was chosen for marketing purposes just like calling the sword a Mainz. Something that people might recognise even if they weren't particularly familiar with Roman history.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darrin Hughes wrote:

btw, if I'd wanted to be really picky, then I could have pointed out that the Battle of Actium was in fact a major naval engagement, and so not one where the Gladius would have figured prominently, except when ships were being boarded. But no doubt it was chosen for marketing purposes just like calling the sword a Mainz. Something that people might recognize even if they weren't particularly familiar with Roman history.

Well the name may be indicative of the period in Roman history at the transition between Republican Rome and early Imperial Rome and at least should distinguish it from later Roman periods 100 to 400 A.D. , on the other hand the name may just have been chosen because it sounded good and different from the names chosen by other makers for their versions of Gladius and not too much importance should be given to the name or specific period i.e. marketing versus accuracy. Wink Question

It's always tricky criticizing a sword for what it could be using varied and sometimes contradictory criteria and levels of expectations that can go from " it looks like a sword, it performs like a sword, it resembles period swords " to being so " picky " that nothing could be found satisfactory.

If one knows the intended market than one can judge the sword as successful or a failure to meet those expectations, also why one would want a particular sword varies greatly.

Angus Trim

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Fuller wrote:

Regarding the Valiant Armouries sword, it would make a better Gladius Hispaniensis than a Mainz, but it would require some changes to the scabbard design in order to do that. May I suggest an examination of Bishop's & Coulston's Roman Army Equipment: From the Punic Wars to the Fall of Rome for further consideration.

Hello Hugh

The pages I used to program the pattern from were returned a long time ago. I have no idea whether they were torn from a book, or were copied {didn't ask}, and to avoid any problem later over copyright issues, I returned them......

However, there was enough of the text next to the illustrations that the author definitely called the sword a Mainz. The "client" was a customer of Erik's, and he was a Roman reenactor who wanted something arguably accurate, but unique. If you're interested, you might try and trace Erik down and see if he can tell you the source.

swords are fun
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it's important to remember that myArmoury readers are not the entirety of the sword-buying population. We're one segment of the market, and almost certainly not the largest one.

Also, many people here venerate Albion as the end-all. There are large portions of the sword-buying population that have either never heard of them or choose to buy other things for budgetary or other reasons. So, we can't assume that an Albion sword is everyone's dream sword. The market is larger than one company and larger than this community.

I think it's illuminating that Gus said this design would likely get ripped here. Given what many people here like and based on this thread, that's been borne out. However, we can't be so arrogant as to assume we're the target audience for every sword product.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darrin Hughes wrote:
The Mainz Gladius was a specific sword named for the site where it was found. If you follow the outline, but then do something like adding the fullers it isn't a Mainz anymore. I'm afraid that I don't buy the historical plausibility argument in this case. If you had simply called it a Gladius and left it at that then you wouldn't have the same problem. People may still choose to argue over what sort of Gladius it might be, if they so wished, but they couldn't argue that it isn't a Gladius, ie, a short stabbing sword made popular by the Romans Happy

Well, you'll have to take the naming of the sword up with someone else. The pattern sans fullers was called a Mainz by the author of the source used for the program........

It was discussed some time ago, the thought about making this sword "more accurate". Dropping the fullering was discussed, and then because the fullering adds a lot to the overall sword's appearance, it was decided to keep the fullering.

I'm sure that if Sonny was approached, he would take into consideration doing another iteration of this down the road sans fullers.........

But on the other hand, if this interpretation sells well, then it likely won't disappear. Assuming that the forge does a faithful job of reproducing the blade geometry, its going to be a real fine handling sword. And handling, up close appearance, and price is what wins the battle in mall stores and event booths............

swords are fun
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK, it is lunchtime and I had a few minutes to look for a copy of the article from the "Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies" that I sent Erik when we were designing my Gladius Hispaniensis. It contains several blades that had been found and that had not been included in the first edition of Bishop & Coulston's book but most are in the 2nd edition my copy of which is at home. There are at least three blades shown in that article that are shaped remarkably like the Actium. The article is from Volume 10 of the Journal, is by Peter Connolly, and is titled "Pilum, Gladius and Pugio in the Late Republic" which would cover the period that includes Actium, both battle in 31 BCE and the sword.

Gus, my guess is that Erik sent you that article as he had a copy from me. Whether he should have done so is up to him as I understand that I was within my rights to put the article to personal use, which is what I did, having paid for it. If anyone wants to see the article, I suggest contacting the David Brown Book Company, the American distributors of the Journal, at david.brown.bk.co@snet.net

Hugh
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just to second Chad's observation that not everyone worships at the altar of Albion, I can honestly say that I have difficulty understanding how they ask what they do for a sword that is relatively mass produced by stock reduction rather than forged and comes without a scabbard. I may be off-base, but that is my opinion.

Now I put on my fireproof suit. Big Grin

Hugh
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Fuller wrote:
Just to second Chad's observation that not everyone worships at the altar of Albion, I can honestly say that I have difficulty understanding how they ask what they do for a sword that is relatively mass produced by stock reduction rather than forged and comes without a scabbard. I may be off-base, but that is my opinion.

Now I put on my fireproof suit. Big Grin

Perhaps we don't need to go into that here. Pricing has been discussed previously and value is entirely subjective. It's like Goldilocks and the three bears: for some people Albion's are too expensive; for others, too cheap given custom prices; for others, they're just right. Happy

Let's leave it at that. Happy My point was simply that the market is bigger than one company or one website's readership. There's a lot of room for variety in all aspects.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Valiant Armoury Actium?
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: