Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Napoleon's Weapons Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Napoleon's Weapons         Reply with quote

The photo below shows a pair of pistols and a sword and they belong to the Napoleon Bonaparte, Emperor of France. The weapons are now kept at the West Point Museum where the photo was taken. No wonder that Napoleon possesses many types of swords! He used them both as symbols of his power and as weapons.

Last edited by Shahril Dzulkifli on Tue 19 Feb, 2008 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shahril,
If I'm not mistaken, you've posted this a few times in the past week. When no one has responded, it appears you've deleted one post and reposted it to bump it back to the top.

Don't keep posting the same thing. If you get no replies after a week or so (not a day or two), you are welcome to bump the topic back to the top of the page with a reply once or twice. If no one responds after that, then no one has anything to say.

Perhaps the problem is that you've made a statement and are asking for suggestions. Perhaps asking for comments or questions would help.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Napoleon's Weapons         Reply with quote

Thanks, Chad.
Can anybody describe the point of the sword? I would like to know that. The sword looks like pointless.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interestingly, I didn't see any other topic involving this. Must have slipped my radar.

Strange looking sword, and while I don't specialize in such modern era swords, I've never seen anything else like it.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Mrak E.Smith

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword in the middle is exactly like a Chinese "Jian" but I don't have any mind why Napoleon could possessed a Chinese sword since there wasn't many communications between western world and China so far.

P.S.:It's the first time I post something in myArmoury,since I am not a English-speaking student,if there is any mistake in my words,just state it out,and I'll be gratefull Happy
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mrak E.Smith wrote:
The sword in the middle is exactly like a Chinese "Jian" but I don't have any mind why Napoleon could possessed a Chinese sword since there wasn't many communications between western world and China so far.

P.S.:It's the first time I post something in myArmoury,since I am not a English-speaking student,if there is any mistake in my words,just state it out,and I'll be gratefull Happy

It is a European sword, but it does look jian-esque. I don't know much about this sword in particular, but I am pretty sure that it is pictured and perhaps discussed in the Coe edited book Swords and Hilt Weapons. I'll see what I can dig-up later.

Jonathan
Mrak E.Smith

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
Mrak E.Smith wrote:

It is a European sword, but it does look jian-esque. I don't know much about this sword in particular, but I am pretty sure that it is pictured and perhaps discussed in the Coe edited book Swords and Hilt Weapons. I'll see what I can dig-up later.

Jonathan

Thank you&waiting for more imformations from you and other guys.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Napoleon's Weapons         Reply with quote

To be exact, Napoleon uses that strange-looking sword as part of his regalia. Usually he carries a different sword to battle.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anthony North, 'Eighteenth and nineteenth Century Swords', Swords and Hilt Weapons wrote:
The swords made for the members of the Consulat, which briefly ruled France before Bonaparte was proclaimed Emperor in 1803, were also in the neo-classical style, although their long, flimsy blades made them totally impractical as weapons. Classical motifs adorn the hilts, and the scabbards are mounted with panels of mother-of-pearl set in frames of silver gilt. They were supplied by the most celebrated manufacturer of presentation arms of the day, Nicolas-Noel Boutet (1761-1833), better known for his fine firearms. The quality of the silver work on the hilt and the inlaid work on the blades of his Consulat swords is every bit as good as that found on other items from his Versailles factory.

For a photo of a similar sword, see Swords and Hilt Weapons, page 91.

Jonathan
Mrak E.Smith

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much,Jonathan.

But if any clue why this Neo-classical design is strongly resemble to Far-east style,especially the lugs on the sheath?
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mrak E.Smith wrote:

But if any clue why this Neo-classical design is strongly resemble to Far-east style,especially the lugs on the sheath?

Probably the same reason why modern cheap Honda Civics are kitted up to look like European cars -- style over cost.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Napoleon's Weapons         Reply with quote

Perhaps the lugs on the sheath have no certain purpose, I think.
D Critchley

PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The cross hilted sword above is simply the regalia sword he wore when he crowned himself emperor.

These swords are a fashion of the period, there are similar portraits of George III and IV wearing similar swords.

We know it's not what he fought with, the sword he wore at Marengo was auctioned last year for the equivalent of
$6million. Even that is probably a dress sabre. (below)

David C

"The purpose of the cavalry on the battlefield is to give tone to an event that otherwise might be considered a common brawl"
D Critchley

PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mrak E.Smith wrote:

Because asian decoration was exotic. Look at Brighton Pavillion, Mugal exterior, Imperial Chinese interior.

There is a direct link between the decorative features of architecture and ornament, and those used on dress swords from the baroque or rococo, through the neo classical and paladian style to the Indian and chinese influences of the early 1800s

David C

"The purpose of the cavalry on the battlefield is to give tone to an event that otherwise might be considered a common brawl"
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Napoleon's Weapons         Reply with quote

Critchley,
The sword is also mentioned here: -
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/06/11/napo...ml?ref=rss

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Napoleon's Weapons
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic