Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > British Grenadiers and Light Infantry Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Fri 29 Feb, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: British Grenadiers and Light Infantry Sword         Reply with quote

This is a British Grenadiers and Light Infantry Sword, dates from 1803 and is unknown to many. Here is its description -
The hilt consists of a gilt knuckle-bow widening to form a solid badge of crown above foul anchor within a laurel wreath. It then joins a shell formed of three bars, of which the two side ones are each joined to the central one by short curved pieces of gilt metal (three either side). There is a lion's-head pommel, the mane extending one-third of the length of the faceted back-piece. The ivory grip has sixteen shallow horizontal grooves to imitate binding and improve grip, it swells outwards towards the guard. The gilt ferrule has a horizontal line top and bottom. A ring for a sword knot is attached to the top of the guard close to its junction with the pommel.

The blade is very curved, flat-backed and with a broad, shallow fuller running to within 184mm of the point. Inscribed on the spine of the blade in cursive script is 'WOOLLEY & DEAKIN'S IMPROV'D STEEL'. The obverse is engraved with a line of scrolls and floral and leaf scrolls, mounted horseman, right arm raised above his head brandishing curved sword, floral cypher 'G.R.' below crown, lion's-head, looking out from the blade, and a circle of leaves forming a single plant at apex. On the reverse is a line of scrolls and floral decoration, trophy of fasces (quivers?) crossed with curved sword, a pike supporting headgear of some kind (Turkish bonnet, cap of liberty?), Royal arms and supporters, ribbon below bearing motto 'DIEU ET MON DROIT', crown, pavilion extending into plant, floral circle and plant.

The firm Woolley & Deakin were in Birmingham, and under this name 1800-03. In 1808 they became Woolley, Deakin and Dutton. It is thought that this type of sword was carried by officers of the Royal Marines, rather than officers of the Royal Navy. See W.E. May and P.G.W. Annis, 'Swords for Sea Service' (London: H.M.S.O., 1970).

Attachment: 40 KB
British Grenadiers and Light Infantry Sword, 1803.jpg

Dan P

PostPosted: Fri 29 Feb, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That sword looks a little funny to me. Its the juxtaposition of the broad slashing blade for a wild melee, onto a hilt and guard that look both too ornate and too flimsy to actually be effective protection. Is this an officer's weapon?
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 29 Feb, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, it is an officer's weapon. by this point in time other ranks of infantry ceased to carry swords. Allow me to refer you to an excellent article by David Critchley (D Critchley, here) from SFI: The British Infantry Officer's Sword 1776-1815

Jonathan
D Critchley

PostPosted: Sat 01 Mar, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The one posted is not really typical of type, the cypher is odd. Jonathan and I have posted our 1803 in an earlier thread, these are far more representative of the normal 1803.

There is no proof these were carried by marines, some exist with fouled anchors instead of the GR but these could be naval officer's fighting swords. Marine officers were meant to carry the 1796 Inf sword.

The ivory hilt (unless it has naval markings) is more likely to be a general staff officer's sword or that of a regimental field officer, (major or lieut. colonel).

The 1803 date is only when the design appears in the regs. The design is also known as the "Guards hilt" and seems to have been carried by the light infantry companies of the Foot Guards and the 3rd Foot (the oldest regiment in the British Army) since the mid 1790s

David

David C

"The purpose of the cavalry on the battlefield is to give tone to an event that otherwise might be considered a common brawl"
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 01 Mar, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
a solid badge of crown above foul anchor

Somehow that would seem to indicate naval to me. Idea Big Grin

Cheers

GC
D Critchley

PostPosted: Sat 01 Mar, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Quote:
a solid badge of crown above foul anchor

Somehow that would seem to indicate naval to me. Idea Big Grin

Cheers

GC

<Laughs>

Yes I must read things more carefully Glen.
Royal Navy then, and the crown over the anchor suggests after 1810 too, when the crown was added to the buttons of the uniform. That is a very rare sword. I've only ever seen 2 similar in the flesh, - so to speak.

David C

"The purpose of the cavalry on the battlefield is to give tone to an event that otherwise might be considered a common brawl"
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 01 Mar, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is one somewhat similar that could easily be placed quite a bit later than 1803. As late as the 1820s and beyond even (mebbe). i'm not really able to make sense of the vine and trellis motif but the eagle and grip kind of point to the 20s and the American market. Aside from the 1803 type build, the rest of the components are strikingly like swords A.W.Spies was selling and marking in the 1820s. It seems likely a Birmingham build but Spies also had London contacts.

Note to Jonathan: it's sticking out its toungue for you. We need to track down the Ames/Birmingham connection. Whether they just gleeped the screaming eagle form from an extant example, or had dealings with British companies early on. Maybe even something going on between A.W.Spies and N.P.Ames in the early days. Not such a stretch geographically, twixt Massachusetts and New York. I'm starting to ramble on here but "while I'm thinking about it".

Cheers

GC
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 02 Mar, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: British Grenadiers and Light Infantry Sword         Reply with quote

Here is the detail of the hilt. Note the etchings on the blade.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > British Grenadiers and Light Infantry Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic