Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Advantage of Range Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Tue 25 Mar, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was roaming around Youtube last night and came upon some videos of a guy with a long handled axe sparring with opponents with shields and swords. I'd guess that the axe handle was about 6'0" long and the axe head was not especially big. They were all in Viking costume. The axe man seemed to have very little difficulty handling various swordsmen.

Ken Speed
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Tue 25 Mar, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
I was roaming around Youtube last night and came upon some videos of a guy with a long handled axe sparring with opponents with shields and swords. I'd guess that the axe handle was about 6'0" long and the axe head was not especially big. They were all in Viking costume. The axe man seemed to have very little difficulty handling various swordsmen.

Ken Speed

Post a link so we can talk about it.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Bennison N

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:

Ken Speed

Choreographed, perhaps? Lesser skilled swordsmen?

How many swordsmen were there?

I agree with Vassilis... Post it up so we can discuss it.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guys,

Here is the video of the guy with the long axe.

Ken Speed
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Link not working.
No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vassilis,

You're right, it isn't and I don't know why. As I said its on Youtube and its called Amana longaxe. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'll get my son to show me what I did wrong next time he's over.

Ken
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
You're right, it isn't and I don't know why. As I said its on Youtube and its called Amana longaxe.

Should be this one then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCN_CAsMHiI

The sword wielder does seem to wait for the axe blow to land on his shield. Especially on the second strike at 00:04... I imagine closing in fast would be an option there?

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
Ken Speed wrote:
You're right, it isn't and I don't know why. As I said its on Youtube and its called Amana longaxe.

Should be this one then:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCN_CAsMHiI

The sword wielder does seem to wait for the axe blow to land on his shield. Especially on the second strike at 00:04... I imagine closing in fast would be an option there?

Agreed. The longaxe does does a nice job of maintaining distance. You see him go in attack and step back to attack again. On the occasions where he was chased he was able to run back and while still being defensive and offensive. It is not possible because of safety reasons, but in a real fight all those blows to the shield would be landing over the shield using the axehead depth to hit the head.

The shieldman would have to be more aggressive. He gets in close a few times but allows the longaxe to fall back into his comfort-zone. The shieldman would need to maintain a close range regardless if the axeman is running forward or back. While in maintaining that close range and keepin his shield in front of him, his sword should be landing combinations one after the other from different directions. The more focused the longaxe is on defense the less offensive he will be. The axehooks are most effective when both fighters are stepping back. If the shieldman follows him forward and back in close range, the axehook will be less effective. If closed in on, the longaxe has the option of shortening his grip for close-in fighting.

Just my $.02. Thanks for posting the vid.

www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com

Last edited by Bill Tsafa on Thu 27 Mar, 2008 3:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Vincent,

Yes, thank you for the help.

I'll have to get another computer 101 lesson from my son.

Well, if someone was swinging that axe at me, even for fun, I'd be making very sure that it hit the shield and not me! Did you notice, by the way, the tattered condition of the shield? That's a plywood shield and it got that chewed up just from playing around like they are in the video, imagine what would happen if it took a couple of serious shots! Your point is well taken, the swordsman waited to catch the axe blows on his shield, the axeman didn't put full force into his strikes, they were playing, having fun, playing to the crowd. Obviously we aren't going to see people actually trying to kill each other I fervently hope! The question is: can we learn something from watching these videos? Myself, I think we can. The axeman seems to do some things pretty well. He controls the distance between them and keeps the swordsman mostly on the defensive. He uses space well, he's constantly moving, turning, backing up, attacking. He's not standing there waiting for the swordsman to attack him. I like the way he uses the axes length to reach behind his foe and hook him in the back. There are One of the important differences to my eye is that these guys are wearing mail not a suit of armor and I think that makes the swordsman more vulnerable to strikes from the axe. In one of the other videos he hooks his opponents foot with the axe, tripping him and then just hacks him into imaginary dogmeat.

The axeman doesn't always win either, there is at least one video where he gets taken out pretty quickly.

Besides all that, it looked like a lot of fun!

Ken Speed
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Vassilis,

Our notes were only minutes apart. There are a couple other videos of the long axe guy. He does really well in one and really badly in the other. All in all I think its pretty impressive the way he uses that axe. I think having that hooking capacity makes a big difference and I also think that someone using a longer weapon like that axe or a halberd really needs a lot of space if they're fighting one on one, it might be different in a formation of some kind. I think mail as opposed to plate makes a big difference as well, the axeman's opponents are much more vulnerable to his strikes and hooks.

Ken

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Advantage of Range
Page 10 of 10 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: