Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Advantage of Range Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next 
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
So, we have quotations from Silver saying polearms rule, and one from Machiavelli saying s&b rule. I have an idea: resurrect both and ask them...

I don't believe Machiavelli wrote anything about single combat. This is an important distinction. What's best in a duel isn't necessarily best on the battlefield. Silver suggested against taking his short staff to war.

Quote:
Once the initial blow has been dealt, a wielder of a polearm, (especially one as long as Silver recomends) will have a very hardt time reseting this weapon

Silver seems to have thought otherwise. He suggested alternating between blow and thrust to defeat shorter weapons, including the sword and target.

Quote:
The target shield, however, is a, to be polite, inferior design, combining the worst qualities of bucklers, round shields and heaters.

So why was it used in 16th century? I'm sure there are differences, but what's your evidence that 16th-century targets were inferior to earlier shields?

Last edited by Benjamin H. Abbott on Fri 07 Mar, 2008 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sean Smith

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Some criticisms of SCA combat         Reply with quote

Jesse Eaton wrote:
I agree that a kite shield makes up for the SCA's lake of a lower leg target, but there are other problems. The shields are too light and too small to be the equivalent of a kite shield. As was noted, the SCA's helms are heavier, though 5-10 lb. helms (if all head gear is included) were often used throughout the middle ages and more so in the latter years as plate developed. The SCA's heavy helms, light shields, lack of a descernable flat and edge, as well as unrealistic target zones make it difficult to compare to medieval combat. Not only are the lower legs off target, so are the hands. In early German manuals, the hands are unarmored. In SCA combat, the hand is usually protected by a basket hilt. This is an important difference in this discussion because an unarmored hand makes a lovely target if the legs and head are covered. IN SCA combat, the basket is oftent used to cover the head while the body and legs are coved by the shield. Thus, in closing with the polearm, the SCA sword and boarder is well covered and can close relatively easily. Even if a full kite shield is substituted, it doesn't provide full coverage. The situation becomes even less SCA like when you consider the various polearms in use throughout the middle ages. There were a few with light thrusting spikes and/or light hook/axe heads as is common in the SCA, but this is not the norm. SCA spear and Axe heads are usually very light and not very representitive of most historical polearms.

Yet being able to block relies less on targeting the hand (a risky proposition when referring to the thrust), and more on keeping something (in the above example, your sword) in the way of your attack. I would question your experience with SCA shields, their various weights, etc. I know several people who use wooden shields exclusively, which are made heavier than their medieval counterparts by the addition of edging. Almost everyone I know that uses wooden shields makes them at least 3/8-1/2" thick. It seems like you are more bashing the SCA in this post, than adding anything relevant to the discussion, besides "We can't use anything seen in the SCA as evidence of any kind. The lack of a flat and edge of a sword doesnt matter when we are referring to a shield blocking a polearm (which has mass, and a clearly defined edge). I may have missed the early German manuals referring to armoured combat, where the hands are exposed. A full kite shield will cover a user from the chin to the shin, allowing for some glancing aspect of the Norman helm. I may have missed the point where spear/axe heads acted unrealistically (those with padded heads). From everyone I know, people seem to think that the duct tape and padding, or hardened rubber weight the same, or even heavier than some of their counterparts due to thickness.

As people have said earlier, the time it would take for a polearm to choke up on the grip is far longer than simply backing up. The latter offers the option of keeping your opponent out of range, whereas the former does not. The polearm loses many of its options when pressed, and it is far easier to push "off-line" or neutralize it with a shield.
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vassilis,

I watched your videos and you were successful in your rushing attacks. Were you and your opponents guided by rules of some sort? I noticed that when you rushed in the polearm users didn't attack your legs and I'm wondering why. It would seem to me that if you did that with live weapons you'd be a very short swordsman! I also noticed that the polearm users let you come to them, did they ever attack you?

Ken Speed
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
Vassilis,

I watched your videos and you were successful in your rushing attacks. Were you and your opponents guided by rules of some sort? I noticed that when you rushed in the polearm users didn't attack your legs and I'm wondering why. It would seem to me that if you did that with live weapons you'd be a very short swordsman! I also noticed that the polearm users let you come to them, did they ever attack you?

Ken Speed

We fought these matches with standard SCA rules. No hits below the knee. Upper-leg is perfectly good. Hands are a non-target area (don't count). Minimal grappling, the polearm is allowed to grab my shield or do some funky leveraging maneuvers with the polearm if they they can pull it off. You are free to push on the other person but I can't bash them with my shield.

You will notice in the first fight, against an equal opponent in experience, how quickly I move in. I can tell from the position that the polearm is held how it will be used. If he plans to thrust or cut. All thrusts are usually to the face. the body is too well defended. Thrusts to the leg are hard to make and often glance off. From a thrust to make a cut you have to pull the weapon off-line and I will know it is coming. If a polearm is held off-line from the start, I know he will cut and I know what direction it will come from. The sword is less predictable because it is shorter. A thrust and cut can be made in one fencing time with the thrust serving as a windup for the cut (or reverse). What is also not clear from the videos because of the position of the camera is that my shield hides my sword when I hold it back. In my case, a shot to the fingers would be a stroke of luck. I would have a much easier time hitting the polearm in the fingers if it was a target area.

An experienced polearm might thrust to my face to make me raise my shield and blind myself so the can then pull back and make a cut to my legs. However, a thrust followed by a cut is two fencing times. As soon as he thrusts, I'm charging in. By the time he is making his cut, I have closed at least half the distance. That means I don't even have to bring my shield down all the way to block my leg. If I just punch my shield edge out from the previous flat position I can stop the arch of his weapon. In the next step I will be on him. This all happens in a second. In that one second he has one shot. If that shot is a leg shot, when I land on him I will now pin his arms in a down position with my shield as I am striking his head with my sword. So that is the risk of legshots with a polearm. If at the point of contact your polearms is down, you will have to fight through a lot of resistance to get it up to cover your head. You will notice, I had no trouble in getting legshots against the polearm in the first fight. That is because the same works in reverse, if I pin his weapon high, it is hard for him to bring it down to block his legs.

Once I get on top of him and get my shield on his weapon, he must find a way to create distance so he can swing his weapon. The only shot he has up close are hight horizontal shot that go across the top of my shield to my head. However, with only one weapon, he must also block my incoming shots which will be relentless. He can only defend or attack in each fencing time, I can do both. There is another option that is clear in the second video.

Besides running backward the polearm, if he is strong enough, can body-check. The guy in the second vid is about 6'2" 270 lbs and is making good use of his size. You see him try to push me and follow that up with and immediate horizontal strikes over my shield. I'm only 5'8" 220, but my work in the gym with heavy squats is paying off bigtime here as I am able to resist his checks. Most people go flying against this guy and resort to fighting him from a medium range. This gives him a clear advantage. So I can say that being able to through people can give the polearm an edge against shields.

The third video is textbook on how to beat a shield with a polearm. Distance, Distance, Distance. You will notice that he does leg me on a few occasion. This is because he can thrust and follow that with a leg cut while running backwards. His running backs does not allow me to stuff the shot by just punching my edge out. In the beginning one of the knights came out and advised me to stop following him in his circles and try to cut him off. You will notice that the various SCA rules and safety restrictions are of no consequence here. If the polearm can fight in his range he will usually win. Likewise, if the shield can keep the fight contained to his range, the odds are in his favor.

Ken, you asked if they attack me. I almost always allow them to attack me first. I stand out of range and let them come in and take that first thrust or cut. I don't want to rush in unless I know what their weapon is doing. I want to know if it is thrust or a cut and what is its direction. I give them that one shot and then charge, ideally as the weapon is on its way in.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com

Last edited by Bill Tsafa on Sat 08 Mar, 2008 1:28 am; edited 3 times in total
P. Cha

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The SCA has a no attacks below the knee rule (actually 2 inches above the knee and below).

However, this is less an issue then you think. Even in fights where the lower legs are targetable, all you have to do is punch that shield out to negate the attack...and this will put the polearm user in a VERY bad position. Which is why most advanced polearm users don't attack low except in very specific circumstance. In fact the reason why the polearm user aren't being so agressive is that a punch block puts them in a very bad position if the sword user is in the cocked and ready position. So you wanna try to get them out of position before making an attack. But you have to realize that the SCA is not calibrated for plate combat, but maile.
Bennison N

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Various sources, such as Meyer, Mair, and Swetnam, give advice on how to defeat staff weapons with swords and such. It can be done.

Yes, it can. A spear is only effective where it's point is pointin'. If an axe or halberd cut misses, there is a delay to bring it back. There's your opening.

When I was in China, I matched with some very good spearsmen, with one in particular, from Macau, standing out. I won't say names, but he beat me first, I beat him the second time. I remember him saying to me that a sword will almost always lose to a spear due to length and reach, plus something about foreigners will never use Chinese weapons well, or something to that effect, as well. So I stayed inside his spear point, blocked his attempts at haft-hitting with my shins and forearms, his attempts at using the point with my sword, and he didn't know what to do. So I knocked the point off. He tried to use his spear as a staff, but staying "inside" made that useless too. I got my five contacts to end the fight within three seconds. I have his spearhead right here on my desk, and I dated his daughter for four months.

If you're just going to give up and say "long weapons always beat short weapons", don't use weapons.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:

If you're just going to give up and say "long weapons always beat short weapons", don't use weapons.

I very much agree and that also works in reverse. Short weapons don't always beat long weapons. The fact is that you can fight and win with just about anything... if you use it right.

P. Cha wrote:
The SCA has a no attacks below the knee rule (actually 2 inches above the knee and below).

However, this is less an issue then you think. Even in fights where the lower legs are targetable, all you have to do is punch that shield out to negate the attack...and this will put the polearm user in a VERY bad position. Which is why most advanced polearm users don't attack low except in very specific circumstance. In fact the reason why the polearm user aren't being so agressive is that a punch block puts them in a very bad position if the sword user is in the cocked and ready position. So you wanna try to get them out of position before making an attack. But you have to realize that the SCA is not calibrated for plate combat, but maile.

This is a much better and condensed explanation then my longwinded post. I think people might actually read this
Wink

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Note that wooden shields wouldn't always effectively stop blows from polearms. De la Vega records various instances of Amerindian staffs and bows (yes, bows) shattering Spanish shields in Florida. In another case, an Amerindian cut through the shields of two targetiers with a stolen axe, wounding their arms and driving them away. A third targetier approached more carefully and defeated the axe wielder.

Quote:

Sure. Medieval martial artists had to worry about being attacked with staff weapons while only carrying a sidearm. This is how Meyer's section on sword versus partisan begins. On the other hand, in Mair, the advice given for the sword seems a bit harder to follow than what the spear needs to do. In one case, the rapier is supposed parry and seize the shaft. The spear merely has to avoid this and continue thrust. Then the rapier has parry again while stepping and trying grab the shaft.

Furthermore, the longer weapon inevitably attacks first and with commitment in these techniques. A reasonable enough assumption, but I suspect it's much harder if polearm wielder doesn't cooperate. I'd rather have a staff weapon. You can also beat a dagger with empty hands, but you have to be better or lucky.

Last edited by Benjamin H. Abbott on Sat 08 Mar, 2008 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
B. Fulton

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having a combined arms approach is my general view. Having fought armored and unarmored in various styles at various times, as well as having done police baton training, unarmed martial arts etc....

Range definitely is never a bad thing. Having multiple weapons is even better. Someone with a halberd or glaive, backed up with a short sword and a round shield or buckler can handle most situations. Especially in formation, where having 10-20 friends along with similar weapons certainly helps.

My polearm experiences (mostly SCA) against sword and shield typically lead me to be highly aggressive with it, continously attacking or at least feinting to keep the opponent at the distance where I am effective and he is not and basically picking at him till I get an opening and take it.

If the shieldman rushes, tactics I have seen/heard of (not necessarily in the SCA safety-concern wise) that would work in a real fight, especialy if the polearm man has a secondary weapon like a dagger, hatchet or mace, is to either shove the polearm down and foul the shieldman's legs as he rushes in (if he's at a run and can't stop fast enough) thus taking him down and giving you the advantage to get inside his shield with your secondary, or, assuming you're armored, the football move of hunkering down and counter-bashing his attempted shield bash. Haven't really tried these myself but i've discussed them with others and I know they're a possibility.
Travis Gorrie

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You guys mention carrying a weapon for each range as combat dictates. But do you have time to switch weapons?

For example, if I have spear and sword, and a sword man opponent charges in and makes my spear ineffective – do I really have time to draw my sword before he cuts me to shreads? Especially if I have no armor.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have three replica pole weapons sitting here now. A&A Halberd, Pole Axe and Hungarian Axe. From watching the vids IMO the simulators being used limit the user's options. The sword simulator appears inherently safer without having to (as) drastically limit its use and design. The pole weapon simulators seem to be very compromised in order to be safe in play.

Advantage sword and shield simulator.

(I suspect Vassilis' gym time is an advantage as well)

A Halberd has weight and reach. I'm fairly confident that it will not be so easily moved aside as a bamboo pole wrapped with tape. Again I suspect is rather difficult to safely replicate because it can generate an amazing amount of force in the blow over a very short distance. Mine hits like a cannon compared with a sword (especially a single hand sword). The multiple edged surfaces give options at thrust, at cut, at range, inside range and beyond range. I can intentionally overreach and do more than just hook on the recovery.

Pole axe is nasty which becomes immediately clear when you play with one (I think every collection should have a good replica). It can generate surprising force and at roughly five feet long its not a spear. To me its like being at the half sword with extra options. It can easily cover multiple lines of defense and threat, sometimes in ways not immediately apparent. Really a beautiful and mean little cuss that is in no way simulated by a pole.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sat 08 Mar, 2008 10:40 am; edited 3 times in total
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Travis Gorrie wrote:
You guys mention carrying a weapon for each range as combat dictates. But do you have time to switch weapons?

For example, if I have spear and sword, and a sword man opponent charges in and makes my spear ineffective – do I really have time to draw my sword before he cuts me to shreads? Especially if I have no armor.

Against me... no. I come in too fast and keep attacking. In such an instance it comes down to fencing times. If the polearm uses even one fencing time to switch weapon he is neither offensive not defensive in that instance. He will be struck as he reaches for his other weapon. The same can be said for grappling attempts. The shield is in front of me. He must grab that first. He will be hit before he can perform another action.

www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have quite extensive experience using a glaive in reenactment. Even in this quite limited context a small round shield or heater can be high-lowed by a glaive.
The larger shields, however, are much more bothersome.
However, neither round shield nor kites where in use in the age of polearms. (glaives show up in the mid 13th c, towards the end of the age of the shield)
Having a two handed weapon of your own took priority.

When armour became more scarce again, carrying a shield became more of an option. However, this being the Renaissance, one would rather adopt the enarmed round shield of antiquity rather than the large infantry shields that had gone out of use two hundred years earlier.
(And, Silver TELLS us that they are crap.)

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
(And, Silver TELLS us that they are crap.)

He considered them fine for the battlefield, which is what they were meant for. Di Grassi showed how to use two different types of targets. He seemed fairly satisfied with them. Here's an example of the type of shield Silver probably meant:

Obviously not the same as a kite shield, but crap? I don't see much evidence for this assertion.
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vassilis,

Thank you for your answer and thank you for the videos, there really is no better way to figure something out than to see it in action. I think Joe Fults made some good points too, getting whacked with a halberd would be a lot different than getting hit with a padded bamboo pole. In fact, as I'm writing this, I'm wondering if the most effective guard with a halberd would be vertical. That vertical strike would be enough to dissuade me from getting within yelling distance of a fighter with a halberd much less within his reach ( I might be persuaded to send him a nasty letter!) Please understand I'm NOT suggesting anybody try this but I would imagine just the impact from the first two feet of a halberd swung straight down would be sufficient to stun someone briefly, even with armor and a shield, Imagine the energy of an axe with an 8'0" long handle! Also a lot of polearms have a hooking capacity that would be pretty hard to emulate with relative safety.

Thanks again,

Ken Speed
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Silver did emphasize the power of the staff blows. He wrote that a person with sword and dagger would have have to parry with feet firmly planted or otherwise be thrown to the ground. He thought a blow could beat down any but the highest ward and still injure the head.
Jesse Eaton

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If my comment are inaccurate of the type used by the SCA in your area I apologize, I'm in southern California. I have yet to find a 5lb.+ poleaxe, 12lb.+ sheild or and not a single byrnie that was 25lb.+. I'm not saying that SCA combat isn't useful, but it isn't medieval combat. If you reread my post, you'll see that part of the point is that in the SCA the hand can be used to block/parry shots, but look at the early fechtbuchs on the ARMA website and you'll see lots of armored combat where the hand is unarmored. Additionally, the posted videos from Vassilis Tsafatinos show him closing with sword and board against a pole arm. But, the pole can't take most of the shots available to him because the lower legs are off target and Vassilis takes several shots on his sword that would have taken his hand, if not for the basket hilt. The lack of a flat blade and and edge is also a problem because binding and winding techniques used in polearm and sword and board combat require a flat blade to bind to. SCA combat is simply not accurate in terms of blade on blade contact.

SCA combat is useful in many ways that other forms cannot replicate. There is no substitute for the velocity and force at which SCA combat is done. The unfortunate backlash of this benefit is the need for safety restrictions. The damage to knees , ankles, shins, hands, heads, and other body parts, if these safety restrictions were not in place, makes the restrictions valid. However, these restriction pose a problem with regards to arguments about realistic combat. But, then again, there are always limitations and difficulties with ANY form of mock combat. It is just that, mock, aka not real. SCA combat has done a lot to dispel many popular myths about armored combat, but it has also created some of its own.

My point is not that the SCA is flawed and useless, my point is that it should be taken in light of its necessary limitations. Just as any form of martial practice should be. I fight with lots of different styles, rules, and equipment, and I have yet to find any perfect form. Just as those that fight with wasters criticize the SCA guys for lacking attention to blade alignment, the SCA fighter can retaliate with the lack of force and velocity necessary for waster combat. In the polearm vs shield case, the tactics used in the SCA (as demonstrated by Vassilis' video) are not realistic. What would be more realistic, in this case, would be padded and weighted weapons. This way the polearm could take lower leg shots and hand shots without endangering the opponent. Of course these implements pose problems in other situations, but would help illustrate the difficulty of fighting against an opponent that out reaches you.
Sean Smith

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The 5lb+ poleaxe may not exist, but 8-10lb shields certainly do (and I would be suprised to find medieval shields above 15lbs as they become cumbersome to move, even with enarmes), and byrnies were not 25+lbs. In the age of butted 14ga. maille, maybe, but when fully riveted hauberks are coming in at 20lbs, that is unreasonable. IIRC, the Wallace shirt comes in at under 20lbs. My point was that blocking with the hand, vs blocking with the bottom third of the sword is not much different, as many people distain "basket blocking" and instead work on "sword blocking" (or at least that is a growing movement, hopefully taking hold in SoCal). I have yet to see many armours which have the rest of the body armoured, yet do not incorporate hand protection (pre 12th century). By that time, full mufflers were becoming standard, and the evolution to plate gauntlets was well on its way. I would be interested to learn of armoured combat fectbuchs from an age where a shield was primarily used (say pre-1350) that do not incorporate hand protection in any fashion.

Sorry if I came across a bit harsh. I too understand that SCA combat is far from perfect, yet there are several people out there who only seem content to point out its flaws, while not recognizing anything it could teach us, or accepting that flaws may be in their supported system.
Raymond Arnold

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The answer a lot of people are giving here is "it depends." The response some people are giving is "sure, a sword can beat a pole-arm, but it takes more skill."

So for the people explaining how the sword can beat the pole-arm, here's a question I hope is useful: You get challenged to a life or death duel. You can choose from sword or pole-arm - your opponent gets the other. Which one would you rather have in that situation? (Lets assume the skill of your opponent is unknown. Though if the skill of the opponent would affect your answer, I'd be interested in that too).
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raymond Arnold wrote:
The answer a lot of people are giving here is "it depends." The response some people are giving is "sure, a sword can beat a pole-arm, but it takes more skill."

So for the people explaining how the sword can beat the pole-arm, here's a question I hope is useful: You get challenged to a life or death duel. You can choose from sword or pole-arm - your opponent gets the other. Which one would you rather have in that situation? (Lets assume the skill of your opponent is unknown. Though if the skill of the opponent would affect your answer, I'd be interested in that too).

The answer depends on the amount of armor you get to wear. Does the sword get a shield? Are we in plate? Maile? Naked?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Advantage of Range
Page 2 of 10 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: