myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Huguenot Cuirassier Armour Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Helge B. wrote:

What's this thing shown in fig. 21? Ist this some kind of magzine holding preloaded charges und balls?

It is a cartridge case for preloaded paper cartridges, the pistol armed cavalry were the first to make widespread use of such cartridges. Later on the cartridge holder was made a part of the pistol holster.

Cheers
Daniel
Daniel Staberg

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Caspall wrote:
Okay, I'm convinced. Big Grin

I'm curious about this 'jacket' though.

I wonder if this 15mm Essex miniature of a Huguenot "Miller" has it sort of right:

. . . as opposed to these 25mm ones by Old Glory, that resembles a tabard:

Neither fits with La Noue's description or the pictorial evidence, the Essex garment is a rather shapeless thing while the Old glory figures are based on flawed set of images found in the Spanish Armada Osprey by Tincey&Hook. The Old Glory cassocks are to short and unbuttoned on the side while contemporary prints show cavalry cassock open in the front or partially buttoned in the front. The short cassock worn with unbuttoned sides was a 17th Century fashion used by men on foot.

But beggars can't be chosers and wargamers have to make do with what they can lay their hands on.

Cheers
Daniel
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 27 Apr, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel;

Sorry about being absent from this thread for so long, but thank you for that proper translation of d'Aubigne! I too had wondered about it, but thought, well, buff coats DO come into play not too long afterwards, so perhaps they were...

Per the translation of "Blouses" I would submit that these are the garments which today are often referred to as "Waffenrocks" or based doublets, the kind with a heavy pleated skirt protecting the body from waist to knees. The cassocks spoken of later as "small round bell jackets" would be of the standard sort, which in fact do bell out rather at the hem, shown in the Lant Roll of Sir Philip Sidney's funeral procession of 1587. There are plenty of woodcuts from the period showing this sort of cassock being worn over armour. Considering that it was about the height of the Little Ice Age, small wonder! Here's an illustration from the Lant Roll of Foote cassocks, which would be a bit shorter than for Horse, but the idea is the same.

Also some Cavalry trumpeters in cassocks, though they are getting somewhat longer here than was, I believe, generally the case.

I would have to agree too with the idea that the use of heavy columns probably came from the need to put less well armoured and horsed material in the rear ranks, rather than trying to put them into the front ranks of the gendarmerie. And being armed with pistols rather than lances was of benefit, actually. A lance is of little use at slow speed, or in the rear ranks where it cannot be brought to bear. On the other hand, a pistol is as deadly if discharged from a halt as it is at full speed on a horse, and any hommes d'armes making it through the front ranks of the column would be dispatched by those in the rear ranks.

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
David Evans

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Cassocks         Reply with quote

I'm interested by those casocks, first decent sized picture I've seen. As I understand it the cassocks were made for the funeral of Sir Philip Sydney, an overrated "Hero" of the Elizabethen Court. There's either no sign of any fastening at the front, or lots of small buttons thro the sides do appear to be split, yet the cassock is close fitting enough to wear a falling band over the collar whilst the sleeves are massive!

I've also spotted this quote
"....do furnyshe and set furth warde on light horseman well harnised as apperteyneth, wth a redde coate made of the Cassok fason, and he to be at berwick the vijth day of August or assone aftr as he possible can, there to serve the Kyng as he shalbe further appoynted. "

The letter is from Edward, Earl of Derby to Sir henry ffaryngton dated 1st August. It's from 1547, when the Lord Protector. Somerset was invading Scotland.
Paul Caspall

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification on the cassocks Daniel, and thanks for getting in touch with Gordon re: this thread and my interest in it.

Cheers!

Paul

(the Huguenot Cuirassier thread lives on!)

Big Grin
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Staberg wrote:
Helge B. wrote:

What's this thing shown in fig. 21? Ist this some kind of magzine holding preloaded charges und balls?

It is a cartridge case for preloaded paper cartridges, the pistol armed cavalry were the first to make widespread use of such cartridges. Later on the cartridge holder was made a part of the pistol holster.

Cheers
Daniel

I would posit that this is actually a lance arrét, rather than a patron/cartridge box. Here's a picture of an arrét (fixed on the breastplate), and a picture of a cartridge box of the period.

Why they are showing a lance arrét with a pistoliers armour is beyond me, but there it is.

Cheers!

Gordon

Attachment: 45.67 KB
Bevs_15c (13).JPG

Attachment: 57.71 KB
[ Download ]

Daniel Staberg

PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon,

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you one this one as the author of the work from which the image is taken calls "figur 21." a "Patronenhälter" i.e "cartridge holder". It is however a very poor drawing, without the text I certainly was unable to guess what it was.

Cheers
Daniel
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel;

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to respectfully disagree on this. I cannot imagine how the drawing would be construed to look like a cartridge box of any known sort, and my own thought is that the author mistook it, or the publisher mixed up illustrations and descriptions, etc. But, I've been known to be wrong before, I'm afraid!

Do you know when was the book the illustration is from was published? If it's 19th Century then I'd be cautious about it. I sometimes have serious reservations about some of the Victorian's ideas... Confused

Cheers!

Gordon

Daniel Staberg

PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon,

The image is taken from Suttner's "Reiterstudien" (indeed a 19th century work) but the entire image is a copy of a engraving in Dilich's 'Kriegsbuch' written 1606 (but published 1689) and Suttner is merely quoting Dilich's orginal text for the image when he calls the thing a 'patronenhälter'. My guess is that the engraver hired by Dilich made a poor job of interpreting the authors wishes and the error was never corrected.

Cheers
Daniel
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Thu 01 May, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, well, that makes sense, then.

Cheers!

Gordon

David Evans

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Cassocks         Reply with quote

Out of sheer hope....

The cassocks worn by the London Trained Bands made for the funeral of Sir Philip Sydney were made for the occasion supposedly in black. Does anyone have any source that confirms this? As I've seen nothing anywhere to confirm this.
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David;

I hadn't heard of the funeral cassocks being black, and the "look" of the Lant Roll doesn't really support it, but that's not really saying much. If it were the case though, it certainly would have made for an expensive progression!

Cheers!

Gordon

David Evans

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
David;

I hadn't heard of the funeral cassocks being black, and the "look" of the Lant Roll doesn't really support it, but that's not really saying much. If it were the case though, it certainly would have made for an expensive progression!

Cheers!

Gordon

Well, I found something!

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=G7YHAAAAIA...p;as_brr=1

This describes the order of the funeral and does make some mention of various black cloth or velvet cassocks for some of the procession, but not the Trained bands, all 300 of them..

The Trumpets were in black cloth cassocks, the gydon (guidon? intersting choice of word) in black velevet. The layout is a bit odd, I'm not sure if the drums are covered in black bayes but it seems to say so. The "ensigne bearer" is wearing a cloth mandilion or cassock, there's a page riding a horse bearing a broken staff in black velvet, a Daniel Bacheler in black velvet, both casocks and a considerable number in black robes.
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David, you never cease to amaze me with the wonderful sources you manage to come up with! How nifty!

Thanks!

Cheers!

Gordon

David Evans

PostPosted: Sun 25 May, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Sources         Reply with quote

Google books, a reasonable collection of books, British History Online and a good University library!

if you know any Costume researchers then point them at this http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=hGoNAAAAIA...#PPA424,M1

It's record of Sir George Chatsworth's trip as "Ambassr Extraordinarie unto our good sister, the Infanta Archduchess of
Austria, to condole for ye decease of or late good brother ye Archduke of Austria," in 1621. What's interesting is that over 4 pages he details his expenditure of clothing, with lots of little details, like the 23 dozen button holes on a cassock of black bayes, that's 276 buttons....!

Back on thread. If the 1580's quote that bwas thought to be the earlist mention of Buff coats and isn't.....What is the earlist? Is there anything in the Swedish sources?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Huguenot Cuirassier Armour
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: