Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My First Albion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: My First Albion         Reply with quote

After seeing it bumped up in the classifieds for the third time, I knew I was either being tempted by satan, or blessed by God.

As y'all might have noticed, the good Mr. Joe Fults was parting with his Albion Landgraf. I was tempted when it first popped up in the marketplace, but, as I have an Angus Trim 1520 on order and had already spent waaaaayyyyyy more on other arms and armour type items in the last several months than originally budgeted (something with which I'm sure no one else in these forums is familiar Wink ), I thought, "no, I just can't." It then appeared that interest was expressed by another and I was mercifully off the hook. Then, it was back. Interest was shown by another and I was clear of temptation once again. Then, it was back. I noticed this as I checked the board quickly before leaving the office for the evening and thought, "well, if it hasn't been claimed by the time I go on the boards before bedtime, I might have to send a PM." As is readily apparent by now, it was still unclaimed. I sent a PM. As of the writing of this message, the Landgraf has been in my possession less than an hour.

One of the first things that struck me about this sword was how light it is. My first sword acquisition was the MRL German War Sword. While it shares similar dimensions and is supposed to be representative of the same time-frame as the Landgraf, it is noticeably heavier. I hadn't thought it particulary heavy at first, but by comparison - wow! Don't even get me started on the weight difference when compared to my other blade - the Cold Steel Grosse Messer. Yes, I do tend toward the Germanic - you might say it's in my blood. Laughing Out Loud

Anyway, this is one awesome blade. While it is light in the hand, you can feel the power - not the brute-force power of the messer that might detach a digit or a limb if you merely bump it, but a controlled, elegant, "I can and will kick your @$$ and cut you up, but in a refined way." Okay, maybe not THAT refined - it is, after all, a modern reproduction of a medieval implement of war, but I think you know what I mean. The Landgraf just feels like it is an extension of your body - an extension quite capable of doing quite serious things. I look very forward to getting to know this sword.

I thank Mr. Fults for a smooth, quick and professional transaction.

To anyone that hasn't had the pleasure of wielding an Albion, or similar high-quality reproduction sword, do yourself a favor - start saving, find the budget (eating isn't THAT important - or, better yet, cut back on the 4bucks coffee drinks Razz ), and get yourself an accurately weighted and balanced reproduction blade - you'll be amazed.

And, as for the "tempted vs. blessed" verdict: blessed, definitely blessed.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Victor,

Glad to hear that it made it to you (faster than I thought it would). Today we're having a blizzard and nothing is moving...not even the highway snow crews. It appears I got it in the post just in time. Big Grin

My son thanks you for helping fund his trips to several wrestling camps this summer.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad you like the Landgraf, Victor, and congrats! I've handled the Landgraf several times before; in fact, the very one you bought from Joe. It's an outstanding piece. Great for thrusting and half-swording not to mention it's just nice to look at, too.

When choosing an Albion sword, it's hard to pick just one. The Landgraf would certainly be one of my top choices. Happy

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Rod S.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Victor. I'm one of those who contacted Joe about the Landgraf, but hemmed and hawed, and didn't pull the trigger fast enough. Big Grin

The Landgraf is one of the candidates in my search for a good bastard sword, and it's nice to hear one more vote in favor of it. Please share you impressions as your time with it goes on.

Rod
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats on your new toy! I have a Landgraf as well, and I love it. It's powerful and yet very controllable. It moves with confidence and decisiveness, IMHO.... and it's visually attractive as well! So welcome to the Landgraf owner's club. Happy
-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My First Albion
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic