Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion XVa - Good 'Tweener? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Rod S.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Albion XVa - Good 'Tweener?         Reply with quote

I've been hunting for two cutting swords, a one-hander for sword-and-buckler practice and a bastard for longsword style. Having settled upon the Albion smiths for both, and comparing swords in their line this evening, it dawned on me: perhaps the Mercenary, Castellan or Constable could serve in both steads for now. Have any of you used one of these swords for I.33? While the shorter, one-handed Type XIV swords are more typical, and the three Type XVas are bladed about a fifth again as long as the XIVs and have longer handle proportions, what I've read of the Mercenary et al.'s handling suggests that blade and hilt works very well one-handed.

Sound logic? Dopey logic? Thanks for all opinions.

Rod
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good question I would also be curious about and I would add that the A & A Black Prince is also a moderate length longsword that is very easy to use one handed and might work well in the same suggested scenario and would give the option of using a carried buckler in 1:33 style or as a longsword.

If both options would work well for these swords I wonder when one would choose to use the buckler or not ?

Oh, but to stay closer to your question: First, are you looking for a blunt to train with a partner or a sharp for " solo " training ?
The Squire Line Bastard sword is blunt enough for " careful " training and is identical to the sharps you mentioned in profile and handling ( Good control and safety equipment obviously: A member of my training group uses the Albion Squire Line knightly sword for 1:33 without any safety issues. Another member has the Maestro line 1:33 sword which has a greater safety margin with thicker and more durable edges ).

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/sq...astard.htm

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having had the opportunity to cut some with Addison Delisle's Mercenary, I would say it would be a decent compromise. That being said, I would prefer to have 2 swords if finances allowed.
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Rod S.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for suggestion of the A&A Black Prince, Jean. It looks like a good candidate.

I'm looking for a solo practice and test cutting sword. I currently use a waster for 1.33, and am purchasing a waster for longsword to replace my trusty dowel. In time I'd like to get 1.33 and longsword blunts.

As for when would a contemporary swordsman chose to use a buckler or not, I imagine that depended upon circumstance. In judicial fights, duels and battlefield, I'd expect opponents to be similarly outfitted. On the street, one would perforce use what one had at hand.
Rod S.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I too would prefer two sharps, Allen. My thoughts on training have leapt to future work with partners, and the value of having blunts and safety equipment. Under that scenario there's no money left in this year's budget for two cutters.

So, I'll get one sharp this year, to help me ensure correct mechanics, and get another in '09. Thanks for helping me work through this, fellows! Happy

Rod
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well...you have to make some adjustments...but it's doable. The only thing about the A&A black price is the cutting power one handed. With such a slender blade and PoB so close, some of the cuts maybe ineffective. Oh well, maybe somebody who has one can comment on that Happy .
Rod S.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I see A&A's Black Prince is nearly half again heavier than the typical 2.5 lb. 1.33 sword. My one-handed work with the A&A would likely be less precise and quick than it already isn't.

Rod
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello! I have no experience with 1.33 form, but I will throw in my opinion that the Mercenary is fast, and easily useable in either one or two hands. I'm not sure if the one and a half handed handle would get awkward after a while though.
www.addisondelisle.com
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well the black prince is heavier...but it's pretty easy to control.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
Well the black prince is heavier...but it's pretty easy to control.

The Black Prince's weight is misleading until one holds one in hand as it just seems to float in the air and the " perception " is of a sword easily one pound lighter than it is.

As long as the extra weight doesn't slow one down or tire one more quickly than a smaller one hander the extra length of blade may have advantages.

I also assume that one's technique would have to be adapted to the extra length, better thrusting qualities versus less cutting ability.

But the type XVa swords can be surprisingly good cutters even if not as efficient cutters as dedicated cutting types like an X type sword or a type XIV that seems to be able to cut and thrust about equally.

A search looking up type XVa swords and cutting might be a good idea as the subject has been discussed before by people who have done test cutting with these here in these Forums. Also the review articles dealing with the various type XVa and type XVII swords.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Herbert Schmidt

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You should get two swords - as you planned right away. You won't be able to do I.33 stuff properly with a longsword. It will be too slow and akward. You may compromise for a while but you should get two swords. There is no sword which serves both categories well.

Herbert

www.arsgladii.at
Historical European Martial Arts

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion XVa - Good 'Tweener?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic