Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scale armor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Antal László

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Scale armor         Reply with quote

Greetings fellows!

I would like to ask you about the armor of the second guy from the right. Thats some kind of scale armor, isn't it? Did somethng like that exist?

Attachment: 109.15 KB
ruestschau1.jpg

James R.Fox

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes it did Antal. It first became popular in Europe with the Roman Lorica Sqamata, and was used off and on throughout the medieval period. See Mr Oakshott's Archeology of Weapons
Ja68ms
Antal László

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James R.Fox wrote:
Yes it did Antal. It first became popular in Europe with the Roman Lorica Sqamata, and was used off and on throughout the medieval period. See Mr Oakshott's Archeology of Weapons

Thanks for the clue! Unfortunatelly I don't have Archeology of Weapons. My only book from Mr Oakshott is Records Of The Medieval Sword. However Archeology of Weapons is also on my unwritten wishlist. At least you helped me to make a decision, what to buy next Happy
Kenneth Scott

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess the question is in relation to medieval armor? Well if its in general, scale armor has been in use for a thousand years before AD. The Philistines are said to have had bronze scale armor, I think theres some carvings in an Egyptian temple depicting that.
Antal László

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenneth Scott wrote:
I guess the question is in relation to medieval armor? Well if its in general, scale armor has been in use for a thousand years before AD. The Philistines are said to have had bronze scale armor, I think theres some carvings in an Egyptian temple depicting that.

You're right. My question is in relation to medieval armor. I wanted to know if that armor what is in the photo existed or not. Maybe I asked the wrong question, I'm sorry.
Adam Bodorics
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't post pictures from here, but search for the Saint George statute in Prague, that has a very nice scale armour on it, with much, much smaller scales. Some theories say that it's of hungarian origins.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i believe this guy is being something 10th century thru early 13th century. i would say anywhere from Italy to Byzantium. There are lots of frescoes and paintings of scale stuff there.
Antal László

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam Bodorics wrote:
I can't post pictures from here, but search for the Saint George statute in Prague, that has a very nice scale armour on it, with much, much smaller scales. Some theories say that it's of hungarian origins.

Ádám, yeah I've found some pictures of that statue, unfortunatelly quite low resolution photos. I'm not sure that it's scale, to me it looks like mail armor, maybe cause of the low quality photos.
I also found out, that it was made in the 14. century. From this follows an other question. Was scale armor used in the 14th century?

Chuck Russell wrote:
i believe this guy is being something 10th century thru early 13th century. i would say anywhere from Italy to Byzantium. There are lots of frescoes and paintings of scale stuff there.

Thanks for the info Chuck!
Some pictures would be useful. Does anyone know about some source on the internet?
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The scale this person is wearing seems to be made of horn, not metal. That is why it has different color scales. I remember an article on how to make horn scale armor being posted somewhere, but I can't seem to remeber where. I tried a search but didn't find anything. Maybe someone else can remeber where to find it. As I recall it was fairly inexpensive but kind of laborious to make.
Antal László

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
The scale this person is wearing seems to be made of horn, not metal. That is why it has different color scales. I remember an article on how to make horn scale armor being posted somewhere, but I can't seem to remeber where. I tried a search but didn't find anything. Maybe someone else can remeber where to find it. As I recall it was fairly inexpensive but kind of laborious to make.

Yes, it looks like it is made of horn. I was thinking that it is metal Confused
Now, that you mentioned it, I also remember that article. However I would like to learn about metal scale armor.
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You've hit on one of my favorite types of armour. As others have said, it was in use across a range of cultures and times. The scales were made of tinned iron (typical for squamata), bronze, brass, horn, hardened leather, and maybe other materials as well. The scales on his cuirass seem pretty large compared to hisotrical examples of metal squamata but that may just be because they are (apparently) of bone. The armour is typically made by sewing scales to a strong backing garment made of canvas weight linen, possibly reinforced with leather. The scales were also generally sewn together.

The general thought is that scale armour was more effective than maille at diffusing the force of blunt trauma but had some vulnerability to upward thrusts. The weird thing to me has always been, if this last bit is true, why was scale armour generally reserved for cavalry (e.g. the greek cataphracti, some roman cavalries)? Just a side thought...

Here are some links to more info on scale armour...enjoy. If you find any more, let me know...I'm "in the market" as it were.

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/squamata.html

http://antiquity.ac.uk/ProjGall/Pre2003/McCarthy/mccarthy.html

http://www.redrampant.com/roma/armor.html

http://www.io.com/~beckerdo/other/ScaleArmorII/ScaleArmorII.html
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steven H

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scale armour does not seem to have been big in Western Europe around the period depicted by these folks. The farther east you go the more common it becomes. I think that helm style is also more common in Eastern Europe.

The scales look like shiny metal to me. They look like they are reflecting light and ground and that is what's causing the variation in color.

As to scale armour being vulnerable to thrusts I am dubious of this. I've seen no contemporary evidence to support it. The scales should be tight enough that slipping a blade up and in between is difficult.

Why do cavalry wear scale armour? Because they can. The cost of such armour is high, so generally the only people who can afford it can also afford horses.

Cheers,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Antal László

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shawn Shaw wrote:
You've hit on one of my favorite types of armour. As others have said, it was in use across a range of cultures and times. The scales were made of tinned iron (typical for squamata), bronze, brass, horn, hardened leather, and maybe other materials as well. The scales on his cuirass seem pretty large compared to hisotrical examples of metal squamata but that may just be because they are (apparently) of bone. The armour is typically made by sewing scales to a strong backing garment made of canvas weight linen, possibly reinforced with leather. The scales were also generally sewn together.

The general thought is that scale armour was more effective than maille at diffusing the force of blunt trauma but had some vulnerability to upward thrusts. The weird thing to me has always been, if this last bit is true, why was scale armour generally reserved for cavalry (e.g. the greek cataphracti, some roman cavalries)? Just a side thought...

Here are some links to more info on scale armour...enjoy. If you find any more, let me know...I'm "in the market" as it were.

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/squamata.html

http://antiquity.ac.uk/ProjGall/Pre2003/McCarthy/mccarthy.html

http://www.redrampant.com/roma/armor.html

http://www.io.com/~beckerdo/other/ScaleArmorII/ScaleArmorII.html

Shawn, thank you for the links. I especially like the idea of the Lorica Plumata. That could be awesome Cool
Unfortunately these sources doesn't give information about the usage of scale armor in medieval Europe. I've read in an other thread about the lamellar armor of the byzantians. That is not that what I'm after. I'm looking for information about medieval european metal scale armor, with a construction method similar to that one in the photo.
Antal László

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:
Scale armour does not seem to have been big in Western Europe around the period depicted by these folks. The farther east you go the more common it becomes. I think that helm style is also more common in Eastern Europe.

I think these guys aren't depicting the same period. For example the two guys on the left in my opinion are reenacting end of 13th century(someone in an other topic posted the link to the website of that knight on the left, so I'm sure about him), the guy in the middle and that one on the right(templar or crusader?) are from the 12th century, at least I think so. Somewhere I've seen a replica helmet like the helm of the scale armor guy, and as I can remember it was a replica from a 10th or 11th century helmet. So probably he is depicting that period. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

Steven H wrote:
The scales look like shiny metal to me. They look like they are reflecting light and ground and that is what's causing the variation in color.

That's the same what I was thinking, but there is to much difference between the color of his shiny helmet and the colors of his armor.

Steven H wrote:
As to scale armour being vulnerable to thrusts I am dubious of this. I've seen no contemporary evidence to support it. The scales should be tight enough that slipping a blade up and in between is difficult.

I agree! But maybe vikings, who wore horned helmets and fought with heavy and blunt swords were wearing scale armor what was vulnerable to thrusts Happy
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Evidence for the use of scale in the medieval period is scarce. I have heard, but cannot find good documentation for, that the anglo saxons of the 5th-7th centuries may have made some use of scale armour in Britain. This is still pre-medieval, though. I would be comfortable saying that scale was at least present in dark ages Britain (though even more rare than maille) but beyond that point, I haven't heard of any source citing the use of scale armour.

Here's a blurb on some 2nd C scale found near Hadrian's Wall, at Carlisle:
http://www.archaeology.org/0107/newsbriefs/armor.html

If you do come across any verifiable medieval examples, that would be quite interesting.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Antal László

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shawn, I've found a lot of informaton about russian arms and armor from later period. Here is the link: http://xenophon-mil.org/rushistory/medievalar...Bakhterets

It seems, that the russians still used scales in combination with mail in the 16th century. Not exactly what we are looking for, but may be interesting reading.
Hanns Wiechman

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Has there been any definitive answer as to the armor that Bishop Odo was wearing during the Norman Conquest? 1066 is definitely medieval time period and I'm remember reading about him wearing scale armor but have never read any definitive confirmation or seen any archaeological proof for this type of armor during the time period. I'm interested in European medieval use of scale as well but haven't found anything concrete as to confirm what I've read. Cheers,
Hanns
Brandon Minton

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Antal,
When I look at the 2nd guy from the right in your picture, I instantly see a Siculo-Norman knight.

http://www.essentialnormanconquest.com/encycl...armour.htm

note the faceplate here:
http://www.totalwar.org.pl/gallery/The%20Normans%20-08.jpg

http://www.doyle.com.au/images/normans.jpg

From my reading (memory of reading that is), Franks, Scandinavians, Saxons, and esp the Byzantine empire used scale maille. Note that the rest of the Mediterranean was influenced by these groups so the elite would have access to the scale style of armor. North-Western European warriors were prone to try out new styles as they were very adventurous peoples. In fact, that is the nature of Germanic warriors whether from the Migration era onward throughout Norman expansion. New styles were constantly sent back home. Then know that scale styles were seemingly very popular with the Byzantines (we find scale armor all the way back to ancient times, esp old steppe peoples like Sarmatians and Scythians affecting Byzantium culture down the road). Combine that with the knowledge that Norseman (Russ, Danes, Swedes), Saxon (Varangian Guard), and Italo-Norman and Siculo-Normans all interacted heavily with the Byzantine empire and you can be sure that a number of these warriors wore the heroic and exotic scale mail, as well as Lamellar and regular maille of course.

That's my $.02
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brandon, I am suspicious of any source that uses "ring maille" and "scale maille" as actual names for armours. Smacks of DnD influence.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Antal László

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, so scale armor in medieval period was used in eastern Europe and further to the east and middle east. After the norman conquests probably also in other parts of europe, where norman influence was present, but there is no archeological evidence for that.
I decided to conitnue my search on the siculo-norman line. I've found the website of a reenactor, quite interesting, there are some period depictings. Here is the link: http://www.fiefetchevalerie.com/fief/?siculo-norman-miles-c-1186
For example see the attached picture, but thats lamellar. I would like to see period painting, fresco or sculpture what proofs the usage of metal scale armor with that kind of construction what is in the photo in my first post.

Attachment: 13.7 KB
Cavalier echecs Italie du sud environ XIe.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scale armor
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: