Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cold Steel sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Cold Steel sword         Reply with quote

Hello,

I may be able to pick up a Cold Steel hand-and-a-half sword for a friend of mine who is looking to get into collecting swords. New, the sword goes for $400, I'm probably able to get it for $200. Is this a good deal on a good sword? I've heard Cold Steel makes good knives, but very little about their swords .. or this sword in particular...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Second hand info alert

I've heard that these have had tang failures. While the basket hilts are supposed to be decent, I haven't heard anything good about the hand and a half.

End second hand info

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, good call there. I'm hoping this guy isn't trying to sell me a busted one... he doesn't seem like the type to do that. Hmm.

Anybody else have input?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's been multiple reports of failures so it's not to encouraging. I've heard good things about the baskethilts and the katana. I've also got their grosse messer which is a decent sword for the money.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Allen W

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had the oppertunity to handle most of the Cold Steels at the last Atlanta Blade Show. The Japanese line, European sabres and Chinese sabre were all well proportioned and balanced but most the of the rest of the European line were either misproportioned (sometimes grossly so), totally inaccurate( particularly their viking), or in some cases with extremely wobbly blades (their war sword and two handed great sword). However the hand-and-a half and grossmesser were exceptable from a handling perspective(though the grossmesser was bit heavy). I would be suspicious of damage reports without knowing the exact conditions of the incident as any blade can fail and I believe Cold Steel's rep and advertised torture testing are apt to inspire some stupidity.
Mike Luke

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I to have heard nothing but problems and warnings about the cold steel H&H. Here is a link to a thread in a different forum with pictures of a catastrophic pommel failure. http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s...el+quality
There is no man worth a leke,
Be he sturdy, be he meke,
But he bear a basilard.
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would have bought that sword a long time ago if it wasn't for the negative reviews. I once wrote to cold steel about the apparent problems with the model. They assured me that they do continous torture testing and the bastard sword is a sturdy sword with no problems. They admitted that there may be bad swords out there but in that case you get a replacement. Perhaps if you want this sword it would be wise to get a quality inspected one and not buy from the cheapest vendor. I think the quality is quite uneven between swords of the same model. Sure it's the horror reports that catch your eye on SFI but there are someone there who mentioned having no problem with it.

I like that sword but I haven't been able to justify buing something that may be flawed from the start. Now I'd rather save my money for something made with more care.
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm, good call. The sale would be third-party. The guy supposedly cut mats with it and says it is sturdy, so either I go with that or I just hold off. My friend is leaving it to my judgment so I think it would be best to just say "no" in this case.
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion has some Del Tin's in stock that you could look at. Lutel is another alternative.

Abou the cold steel war sword that was mentioned, that model has been discontinued for a while now. Still you see them on sale everywhere for outrageously expensive prices. Seems like nobody buys them. In my part of the world they run about 550 Euros. That must be close to 700 dollars nowadays. Sell them for that price and you can sell snow to eskimos.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Cold Steel swords...         Reply with quote

True story: I once ordered a catalog from CS, and they sent their "More Proof" DVD along with it. I watched the whole video and was no more impressed than when I started. Almost ANY knife or sword...even flea market cheapos...will slice and poke holes in a big piece of hanging meat. After watching this "testing"..over...and over....and over.....I emailed Cold Steel. I asked them if they had any pics of the tangs on their Medieval and Scottish swords. I might as well have asked to rummage through the Queen Mothers panty drawer. The guy wrote me back so defensively that I basically told him to blow off. I'd do the same, if I were you. P.S.:........I STILL have yet to see the tangs on ANY of these swords. Buyers Beeeeeeee-waaaaaare.............MM.
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good call. Just for kicks, I emailed Cold Steel asking the same question about their tangs. Well, the tang on the hand-and-a-half. I'm curious, but I'm not going to get a CS sword (new or used) for my bud. Maybe a Del Tin will do.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Good call....         Reply with quote

As a gift for a friend, a Del Tin would be ultra sweet. Or , as Cartman of Southpark would say...'shweeeet'. Now listen...When I said what I said, I wasn't knocking Cold Steels whole line. They make some badass cutlery. But, I'm afraid, they still have a thing or two to learn about swords. If ya can't run with the BIG DOGS....stay off the porch. 'Cause Albion will take a big bite outta your BUTT.........................MM.
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had a H&H from CS and it didnt last 24 hours. The tang itself is sturdy enough, but the pommel is put on with a 3/16in screw welded to the end of the tang. It bent on the second try to cut with it and the wood of the handle split. I noticed the pommel was off center and pushed it back toward the other way and the thin threaded screw snapped at the pommel. The blade fell out and almost got my foot. They took it back and I traded for the Grosse Messer. I wish I had gotten the 1796 Light Cav Saber. The GR is a bit heavy for what it is supposed to be. Hell of a chopper though!
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: CS Baskethilt Broadsword         Reply with quote

The baskethilt offerings by Cold Steel are a decent value for the money !
( any web search will turn up sites that offer these products)

Here are some stats & comments, on their broadsword model, by Vince Evans.

Mac

Blade Length: 32-1/4"
Blade Width at Hilt: 1-9/16"
Blade Width 3" from Tip: 1-1/8"
Blade Thickness at Hilt: 7/32"
Blade Thickness 2" from Tip: 1/8"
Tang Width: .535"
POB: 4-3/4"
COP: 10-3/4" from tip
Overall Length: 39-1/2"
Total Weight (not including sheath): 3 lb. 4 oz.
Fullers: approximately 18" in length
Grip: 5"
Blade Weight: 1 lb. 9-3/4 oz.
Hilt Weight (basket & components): 1 lb. 10-1/4 oz.
Basket Width: 5"
Basket Depth: 5" (front of basket to additional rear guards)
Basket Height: 5"
Thickness of Bars of Basket: .114"
Manufactured in India

My overall impression is that this Cold Steel Basket Hilt is not a bad
sword for the price, although having handled quite a few original basket
hilts, I'm somewhat biased.

* Pic of an original Regimental baskethilt that the Cold Steel model appears to be based on!

The blade seems to be very tough, although a little thick on the edge. I
flexed the blade 8" without it taking a set. The fullers are nicely done,
as are the grip and the sheath. The grip is wire-bound leather over wood
with a blued steel ferrule. The basket is well constructed, although it
has some sharp edges that could be rounded with a file. The forward guards
should have been rounded bars to match the basket instead of flat strips.
The hilt is constructed in traditional military style with a recessed tang
nut. A piece of 1/8" music wire takes it apart, revealing a hollow pommel.
Personally, I think the pommel should have been solid. When re-assembled,
the end of the grip tends to sink into the hollow pommel.

I also noticed,
while doing some light cutting, that the blade can twist slightly at the
guard due to an oversized tang hole.

I haven't done any heavy cutting with it but Cold Steel has a reputation
for tough blades.

-Vince Evans , April 2002

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks good Happy The Cold Steel available to me wasn't a basket hilt or I may have taken it... for myself! Wink I don't own a sword of this type and it probably wouldn't be a bad starter.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Thanks, Thomas....         Reply with quote

Well I'll be.....FINALLY....I see my first photo ever of a Cold Steel sword tang! Excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor. I had considered buying this sword quite seriously at one time, but not knowing what lay under that grip scared the crap outta me. Hell, I may get one now....now that I see the tang is decent. Decent, I say.....not great, but decent. Besides, my old Regimental has seen better days.....time to retire. T'would be bitchin' to see a line of Albion baskethilts....HINT...HINT...HINT. Wink Thanks again, Thomas...........MM.
Nathan Cole

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am curious. What are the loops on the top, front ot the basket for. The look like they might by for protecting a finger looped over the quillon but that seems like it would be painfull. I have seen many historic swords with them and on some it is quite pronounced. is it merely decorative?

Nathan
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Cole wrote:
I am curious. What are the loops on the top, front ot the basket for. The look like they might by for protecting a finger looped over the quillon but that seems like it would be painfull. I have seen many historic swords with them and on some it is quite pronounced. is it merely decorative?
Nathan

Hi Nathan

The forward guards offer added protection .... can be used for trapping & disarming ( watchout for that big dirk in the other hand :-), and possibly even snapping yer enemies blade ( least that is what I've read ?)

Plus they look cool *g* , Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh yes .... and they do tend to give the hilt added strength & support !

Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It might not be bad for $200, but I've been less than impressed with most of Cold Steels Euro swords. Remember, they aren't made by CS only marketed by them.

In that price range I really think that some of the MRL offerings might be a better deal.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cold Steel sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic