Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions on the Del Tin 2158..? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brian James

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Opinions on the Del Tin 2158..?         Reply with quote

I've searched high and low for a review or anything of the like and so far nothing.

So... anyone have one and care to give your opinion..?

I'm more concerned about handling than anything else.. I'm not going to be doing any steel-on-steel swordplay... just solo drills and the like.... I'll prob order it blunt and maybe if I get the I-need-to-cut-stuff-up urge I'll send it out to have it sharpened later.
I also plan on adding a leather wrap around the ricasso for some half-swording.

this is the sword I'm asking about...

thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Best,

Brian James
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I used to own one of those. It felt very nice in the hands during dry handling. However, I've heard it can vibrate quite a bit upon impact. Back when I owned mine, I wasn't into cutting so I never found out first hand. It's an attractive sword, though.

The hilt is based on a sword pictured in Boccia's Armi Bianchi Italiane, but the Del Tin's blade is simplified from the original.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is Bjorn's Del Tin sword fact-sheet and he gave it a five out of five for handling
http://bjorn.foxtail.nu/kat_data_utr.htm

I also had remembered something from some years ago on the boards and that poster actually put up a page that mentions the instance. There are some unhappy sword pictures there but with due explanation.
http://www.boswellfarms.com/bent.html

Cheers

GC
Eric Hejdström

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I used this sword a few years ago and I agree that it might vibrate a bit upon impact. The grip is very comfortable and the pommel and quilons have a nice finish with no sharp edges. But consider the length of it too it's about 130cm wich is a bit too long for me to use as a longsword but too short for a true twohander. Never really liked the shape of the ricasso but the overall characteristics still makes it a very nice sword. If I ever get the chance to buy one I most definately will even if I pobably will make a new grip. The leather cord is okay but a real grip would be nicer.

For drills in the Lichtenauer/talhoffer schools of longsword fencing I think its still a good sword but maybe it will work even better with Meier/Mayer style of fencing.

Hope this helps!
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My friend owns one and I got to spend some time with it. . . and I'm going to agree with most of what has been said.

It is BIG. . . keeping that in mind, it moves fairly well with a wide-handed grip on the sword with hands just on the grip. In half sword, it is secure to grab on to the blade, but doesn't move quite as quick as I would like. It is a bit tip heavy and a little whippy (result of minimal distal taper, I'm thinking). The hilt components have nice shapes to them, and felt good in hand. Last, I would second the recommendation to upgrade the grip - that is the one thing that failed on the piece I got to play with - the leather held, but the grip core was mush underneath.
Brian James

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sweet.. thank you for all your input...

as an addition to my post.... would anyone recommend something similar..? I was looking at the AT 1592 but it looks like the ricasso is kinda short for a leather wrap...

any other swords in that size range I might look at...? I'm also trying to keep it under $600 so that takes albion out... *grumble..grumble* Cry Cry

I would love to get the Munich but alas... me not have a grand to blow on that beauty.

thanks!

Brian
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian,

I agree with Eric Hejdström about it being a bit big for a longsword and a bit small for a two-hander, but it is a fun sword. If you can tell us more about what type of swordplay you intend to practice, or which works you will study from, and maybe even what level of practitioner you are, we could make more realistic recommendations.

Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Brian James

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As of now I don't take any formal WMA classes, I am studying the german swordsmanship books, Liechtenauer, Ringeck ect on my own as best as I can. I don't plan on doing any sparring anything like that as I have no one else to do it with and from my experience in kenjutsu I know it can lead to bad habits later on.

I've had 3 years of koryu kenjutsu and thats about it. I mainly just want a nice balanced sword for solo drills and I really like the looks of it.
I might plan on taking some WMA classes later on, but I have so many other hobbies right now I don't know how I'll fit it in.

don't know if that helped any but... its all I got Wink

Best,

Brian James
Eric Hejdström

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As said before, it works for longsword even if it's a bit too long for my taste. But if you are tall this should really not be a problem. As long as you learn to handle it well I think you will be satisfied with it. For later style Talhoffer it's even recommended by some people I know but since the options one have when you need to decide wich practiceweapon you want are numerous these days I thinks it's best to go for something that feels good for you. If you want it I can recommend it since I liked it myself. One thing that helps manouverability quite a bit is the long grip. But if you want other suggestions feel free to ask, I've tried out quite a few different maufacturers over the years.

/Eric

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions on the Del Tin 2158..?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic