Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your favourite sword in 'Records'? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Your favourite sword in 'Records'?         Reply with quote

Which antique sword in 'Records' or any other suorce would you most like to have a replica of? At the moment my favourite is the XX.2. Too bad the photo is so bad I can't tell the fuller arrangement or the crossection. I tend to make full scale scetches of my favourites. Anybody else do this? Another I find interesting is the XIII.4, the broadest blade i've ever seen! But the XX.2 is clearly my favourite. I like the simple and effective harmony of the blade, hilt and cross.

So do you have any favourites?
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've always admired the XVIIIa on page 191.....just something extraordinarily elegant about that piece...

Attachment: 16.76 KB
XVIIIa full.jpg

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have just one, but here are a few -

Xa.1 - A simple looking sword with beautiful lines. Oakeshott himself says it is the most beautiful of all Medieval swords. Someone really should make a replica of this sword.

XIV.8 - This sword was one of the inspirations for the upcoming Albion NG Sovereign.

XV.8 - One of the Castillon find - just a cool looking sword.

XIX.7 - The so-called Alexandrian sword, the one with the single finger ring. I liked this one so much, that I commisioned ArmArt to make me a replica of it. Even better, I was one of the fortunate few to actually receive my order. They subsequently made the design one of their regular models, the S34. It's a great sword, but for obvious reasons, I advise against anyone ordering it. Albion will be coming out with a recreation of this sword (with a few deliberate differences) sometime this Autumn.
W. Patrick McGuigan

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also like those Xa.1-2 swords, especially the one with the blade still in intact. I think Del Tin makes a very close reproduction of it. Raven Armoury also has made a sword that looks like it was based off of it.
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/962.html

This is the XVIIIa.5. Looking at the black and white photo you'd never guess the grip was blue. It has a nice effect. Absolutely gorgeous piece and unbelievably well preserved. Eek!
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This Schiavona would be most welcomed.

Attachment: 41.06 KB
90953-2.jpg

Devin McCarthy

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

XVIIIa on page 191 is very nice. something i would like to own some day
Lee Watts

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the gorgeous type XII on the cover and on page 72 and a close second would be Xa 4 sword on page 39

Attachment: 3.59 KB
scan.jpg

Carl Croushore
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The XIV.6. So much so it will be the first sword I commission to have made.
-- Carl Croushore

Last edited by Carl Croushore on Sun 11 Apr, 2004 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenneth Enroth wrote:
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/962.html

This is the XVIIIa.5. Looking at the black and white photo you'd never guess the grip was blue. It has a nice effect. Absolutely gorgeous piece and unbelievably well preserved. Eek!

Hi Kenneth,

It was actually me that took the photo in the link. It was during a visit in Munich in may 2001 I got lucky approaching the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum. Dr Seelig very generously opened the vitrine and handed me the sword. (Goose-bumps aplenty!) And what a marvellous sword it is! I should think one of the absolute best, all categories. Weight, balance, character, looks: everything is outstanding and just perfect. A sublime sword. The craftmanship is awesome.
I got to spend close to three hours with it making drawings and taking measurements and photos. One of those moments in life...(sigh)
The grip is not blue. It might be some trick of light in the photo making it look like that. The grip is a rich dark brown, like a fine cigar. The leatherwork is very crisp and detailed, perfectly preserved. You can see where the original owner liked to rest his hand: there are slight traces of wear in the decoration that are his "fingerprints".
In his "Records" Oakeshott says the hilt is gilt-bronze. It is not: it is bright steel with some details picked out in thin gilding.
In the pommel on one side is a medallion of the Madonna with Child. This is not the front as you might think. The madonna would be turned upside down (or actually horizontal when the sword is worn at 45 degree angle) if turned to the front and the seam of the leather of the grip would then be turned upwards. If the Madonna faces inwards to the private side she is head up if the sword is worn at 45 degree angle. This means that the empty side of the pommel is really the front!
Around the rim of the recesses on both sides are 3-4 minute chisel marks. These I think were made to pinch in place transculent crystal discs that covered the recesses.
The hollow recess opposite the madonna is gilded inside. It seems like a shallow silver-gilt plate with raised rim is fitted in the recess of the pommel. There is also two small holes that could have been used for small rivets or pins to hold something down. My guess is that the now empty recess once held a relic of some importance. Such a treasure would naturally be turned outwards.

If I had to pick a sword from "Records" to be the favourite, I guess it would have to be this one: as rich in character and expression, as harsh, stark and painfully beautifull as an alpine landscape.

...Otherwise it might also be the XX.4 on page 211...Another one of those very special ones.

Attachment: 43.68 KB
pommel1.jpg

Attachment: 42.07 KB
pommel2.jpg

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gonna say the Edward III sword.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Devin McCarthy

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

peter, do you think you could share more pictures of the XVIIIa. maybe higher quality ones for artistic refrence?
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

Judging by the quality of the sword and it's apparent popularity maybe this could be the next albion hallmark sword?

Oakeshott thinks the crosses on the XX.4 and XVIIIa.5 are made by the same maker. Have you handled the XX.4 too? It bears resemblence to the Svante sword. Any chance they really are related? Perhaps made by someone making swords that only the richest could afford. Like today's handmade hunting rifles for royalties.
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My picks would be:

Xa.1 would have to be the epitome of the medieval sword. Problems with reproducing it would be the deep hollow grinding (or was it forged like that?) on both sides of the fuller. I keep fishing this one out there as a project, but no takers yet. I imagine that the work that would need to go into this one may make the cost prohibitive.

XII.11 just looks cool with the lobated pommel and the downturned cross.

One that I already have is the XIIIa.6, an amazing 15th C revival of the 14th C type XIIIa with the writhen pommel & cross. I have the Bohemian Broadsword from A&A as a result. Their interpretation is a great cutter, so I can just imagine what the original is like. There appears to be some differences in the blades though but it is hard to tell from the pics in 'Records' if the original has a "flatter" hexagonal section or if there is just cleaner demarkation of the hexagonal section.

There is a close contest between the XIV.6 and XIV.7. The XIV.6 is a BIG mo-fo so I'm not sure how "wieldy" it would be. I've discussed the XIV.7 (Moonbrand) with Craig Johnson and find that it is amazing that the sword is usable at all. It is apparently about 1/8" thick (and still stiff) and there is still room for the fullers! Apparently a very fast sword but not "whippy" in the least. In my visit to A&A, I got to handle the X.10 and it is a thin blade that retains its stiffness too. Both were clearly made by a bladesmith that knew his stuff!

I've got the A&A Black Prince--perhaps the best reproduction of XVa.6 and a very cool sword.

A tie for first place with the Xa.1 is the Henry V sword XVIII.1. A&A has the pommel & guard perfect, but I think the hollow-ground blade makes this sword.

These are the swords that I find myself going to the most. Oh, so many swords, so little money....

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenneth Enroth wrote:
Hi Peter,

Judging by the quality of the sword and it's apparent popularity maybe this could be the next albion hallmark sword?

Oakeshott thinks the crosses on the XX.4 and XVIIIa.5 are made by the same maker. Have you handled the XX.4 too? It bears resemblence to the Svante sword. Any chance they really are related? Perhaps made by someone making swords that only the richest could afford. Like today's handmade hunting rifles for royalties.

The XX.4 is my favorite. I'm hoping that it will appear in the PJ Hallmark series!

What do you think Peter?

Gordon
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On page 302 of Records, photo #22 of the Edward III sword shows it flanked by two other swords that are both especially nice classic relics. Either of them would be an excellent subject for a reproduction. The blades are not pictured in full, but they appear to be fairly ordinary. The hilts and pommels are the exceptional parts.
Darwin Todd

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: My favorite         Reply with quote

My absolute favorite is type XIV #5. The blade profile has graceful curves and I like its proportions.
Second favorite would be Type XVIIIa #1. Again beautiful proportions.
I also like type XII #15 for it's hilt, especially the cross.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
On page 302 of Records, photo #22 of the Edward III sword shows it flanked by two other swords that are both especially nice classic relics. Either of them would be an excellent subject for a reproduction. The blades are not pictured in full, but they appear to be fairly ordinary. The hilts and pommels are the exceptional parts.

That photo is in our photo albums and can also be seen here:

The large sword in the middle is the Edward III sword. The swords flanking it are presumed to be 19th century fakes.

Personally, I would not call the blades ordinary at all, as they seem to exhibit quite a deep hollow-grind and crisp lines.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Gonna say the Edward III sword.

Agree 100%.

Xa.1 is second, XIIIa.2 (the templar one) 3rd.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think I could pick one sword as a 'favorite' in Records. It would be a tie between Edward III and the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum sword (the inspiration for Albion's Munich).

Others I admire are: Type Xa.1; Type XI.4 (St. Maurice-Vienna); Type XV.7; the swords of the Castillon find; Type XVa.6 (Black Prince); Type XVIII.1 (Henry V); Type XVIII.8; and Type XIX.7.

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your favourite sword in 'Records'?
Page 1 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: