Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your favourite sword in 'Records'? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
David Black Mastro

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From Records...

The Type XVIIIa on pg 191 is one of the most beautiful swords I have ever seen--a really nice example of form following function, IMO.

I'm also intrigued by the Type XVIIIa on pg 194. I'm certainly not one to argue with the late Mr. Oakeshott, but I personally view this weapon as a small two-hander, as opposed to a "very big bastard sword". In fact, while the blade is slightly over Silver's "perfect length", I think this weapon may actually be an example of the type of two-hander Silver preferred (I personally disagree with Paul Wagner's assertion that Silver's two-hander was actually a bastard sword).

From European Weapons and Armour...

I would love to have a replica of the Venetian "proto-Schiavona" (for lack of a better term) shown at the top of pg 185 ("Venetian hilt, c. 1540).

From the Osprey Man-At-Arms title The Conquistadors by Terence Wise:

The two-hander on pg 14 ("two-handed sword, Spanish or German") is really slick-looking. The overall length is given as 53 inches, and I suspect this is another two-hander that Silver would have approved of.

"Why meddle with us--you are not strong enough to break us--you know that you have won the battle and slaughtered our army--be content with your honor, and leave us alone, for by God's good will only have we escaped from this business" --unknown Spanish captain to the Chevalier Bayard, at the Battle of Ravenna, 1512
David Lannon

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: xx.4         Reply with quote

I would say the XX.4 on page 211. I couldn't find a pic of it to post but I love the beautiful XX blade with the cross from the "Munich" sword and the pommel form the Svante. Just perfect!!

Cheers
Dave Lannon

Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun!!!!
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: from records         Reply with quote

In descending order:
X 15 (Patrick's favourite?)
X 8 (Witham)
XII 10 (or maybe 11)
XIX 6 (I keep dismissing it as too fancy and not my period, but I get drawn back to it - visual balance? dunno)

Geoff
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For those of us who don't own a copy of Records, could somebody please post a picture of XX.4?

Thanks!

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
For those of us who don't own a copy of Records, could somebody please post a picture of XX.4?

Attachment: 13.35 KB
records_xx.4.jpg
XX.4 from Ewart Oakeshott's "Records of the Medeival Sword"

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This one seems to be very similar to the Svante by Peter Johnson Eek!
Awesome piece!
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
Awesome piece!

I thought that at first glance. The pommel, with the three recesses, is strikingly similar, but the grip is different and the blade is even more so (multiple fullers, no narrowed ricasso etc. ). Maybe the pommel designer/cultler had a catlogue you could order from?
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Many fine choices listed in this thread, and it is difficult to pick just one.

Of those already mentioned, Xa.1 would probably top my list. But XVIIIa.5, Edward III, XVIII.1 (Henry V) and XX.4 are also very special in my mind. However, I am surprised that no one has mentioned these beauties:

XIV.1 (Morosini) , XV.9 and XVIII.4 from the Metropolitan Museum.
XII.15 – the Sword of Santa Casilda

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
Awesome piece!

I thought that at first glance. The pommel, with the three recesses, is strikingly similar, but the grip is different and the blade is even more so (multiple fullers, no narrowed ricasso etc. ). Maybe the pommel designer/cultler had a catlogue you could order from?

Yes, the grip appears to be slightly shorter. The cross-guard however looks more like the one on the XVIIIa in Munich.
Any info on where this sword was made?
The multi-fullered blade looks deadly. This must be a hell of a cutter Eek!
Somehow this sword looks like a mixture between the Svante and the sword of Heinrich der Fromme ( Historisches Museum Dresden). Please find the pic in the attachment.

Attachment: 98.77 KB
Schlachtschwert [ Download ]
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The cross-guard however looks more like the one on the XVIIIa in Munich.

Oakeshott agreed with you.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:

However, I am surprised that no one has mentioned these beauties:

XIV.1 (Morosini) , XV.9 and XVIII.4 from the Metropolitan Museum.
XII.15 – the Sword of Santa Casilda

I'd agree, the first three are all good of their type. I can't get past the pommel on the last one. Just looks clumsy somehow (personal taste).
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's another one I really like; almost forgot about it. Surprised

"Complex hilt 3" (page 243). Oakeshott once classified it a Type XVIII but then unclassified it when he wrote Archeology of Weapons. It is of the appropriate date (ca. 1480) when these types seemed to be most popular. He describes it as a "...very essence of a thrusting sword."

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Jeremiah Swanger wrote:

Thanks, Nathan!

Definitely a very attractive sword. I believe that is the most acute point I have ever seen on a Type XX...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Jörg W.

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

XII #1 (page 66) : simple H guard, nice wheel pommel, perfect proportions. described by Oakeshott as "absolutely classic, or standard type XII sword.."

XVI #1 (p. 146): i like the XVI cut&trust blade; maybe a bit too long, but nice down curved ( type 7) guard.

XVI #4 (p. 151): so-called "riding sword"; having little room to maneuver this short (21", 53,4cm) blade must have been a nice team with a small shield. I wonder if we will ever see anything like that at Albion as most people seem to prefer the long blades.

XVII #8 (p. 166): elegant sword, the slightly down curved guard and the T.4 pommel together with that slim and pointy blade makes it look very dynamic.

and now the ugliest sword from records Big Grin
XVIa #3 (p. 154): this short bow Eek! guard (Oakeshotts: " rather exaggerated 6") is the ugliest i have ever seen. and the type K pommel (Oakeshotts: " rather exaggerated K").. well, it doesn't turn it around Razz

Last edited by Jörg W. on Sun 06 Nov, 2005 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

XII.9 This one is just so clean looking. Very classic and simple and with such nice proportions. A no nonsense tool for war! Love it!
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While doing some research on guilds, I came across and interesting aside to the Edward III
sword.

Something that had always made me go hmmmm about was the piece of cloth in the pommel.

Quote:
<snip>Edward III reconstituted and legitimated the trading fraternities by recognising their distinctive liveries259 and providing them with charters or letters patent, the King himself led a rush of non-operatives to join. Presumably meaning he was initiated in a mock-up manner, and given access to some ersatz secrets, it is recorded that he 'became' a Linen-Armourer. His successor Richard II became a brother of the same company</snip>

This from
http://www.takver.com/history/benefit/ctormys-02.htm
~~~~~~~~

My favorite would be hard to narrow down but I love my A&A XVa and I like the big XIIa in records, I think it's XIIa.4 (book wrapped and buried).

Cheers

GC
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jörg W. wrote:

XVIa #3 (p. 154): this short bow Eek! guard (Oakeshotts: " rather exaggerated 6") is the ugliest i have ever seen. and the type K pommel (Oakeshotts: " rather exaggerated K").. well, it doesn't turn it around Razz

Yeah, there are a few I'm not particularly fond of: Type XIV.2 and Type XVIII.12 (pgs 117 and 183). Those Type XXI's and XXII's make me go "huh?!" WTF?!

Oh, and yet another favorite (I should be punished for not thinking of it earlier Mad ): Type XVIIIa.10 (Hey A&A fans! Look familiar? Wink ).

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Jörg W. wrote:
Yeah, there are a few I'm not particularly fond of: Type XIV.2 and Type XVIII.12 (pgs 117 and 183). Those Type XXI's and XXII's make me go "huh?!" WTF?!

XVIa.3, XIV.2, XVIII.12 and (in particular) XXII.1 are some excellent choices for ugliest, but I actually like the other XXI and XXII's.
Another unfavorite from my perspective is Xa.10 - I really don't appreciate that type N pommel.

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Oh, and yet another favorite (I should be punished for not thinking of it earlier Mad ): Type XVIIIa.10 (Hey A&A fans! Look familiar? Wink ).

Yes, that Schloss Erbach piece is another beauty!

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Tue 15 Apr, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To me has to be X13...what Oakeshott called "an absolutely classic example of a Type X sword".

The broad 34" blade, wide spike hilt, and heavy Brazil nut pommel, all arranged in near perfect symmetry, make this a real life hero sword. This was not a sword made for nimble fencing, this was a sword made for dealing devastating cuts from the back of a horse at the dawn of the medieval era.

If anyone knows of a replica of this sword, or even some more information or photos of it, I would appreciate it.

-JDC
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 15 Apr, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Of interest to me         Reply with quote

Since this thread has been brought back to life, and it did mention "or other sources" here are a couple that have me intrigued right now.

Attachment: 37.77 KB
Cluny5.jpg
From the Cluny in Paris (if memory serves). Photo by Mathieu Harlaut.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your favourite sword in 'Records'?
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: