Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your favourite sword in 'Records'? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 15 Apr, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Another         Reply with quote

This photo from Jan Chodkiewicz.

Attachment: 44.62 KB
Pic342 (538 x 331).jpg
MusArmee

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Ulli Martin

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello together,

very interesing thread!
I visited the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum some weeks ago and took some pictures, perhaps you are interested in.
The description in the vitrine was also interesting for me, I have translated it from German:

"Sword. Iron, gold-plated, leathercut. Disc pommel. With display of Maria and transcription "o maria bit vir vns". Blade brand. German, circa 1450 Castle Ambras"

Castle Ambras is in Innsbruck, Austria - that was news to me: http://www.khm.at/ambras/

If you would like to see more pictures or higher resolutions I will upload them! Happy

It's really a great sword, I have also bought the Munich from Albion and it's really impressive.

Best regards

Attachment: 99.26 KB
Bayerisches1.jpg

Attachment: 133.6 KB
Bayerisches2.jpg

Attachment: 132.62 KB
Bayerisches3.jpg

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't speak for Joe, but I can say that I'll take any and all pictures of that sword you've got. Especially useful would be pictures of the tooling on the grip and the non "blank" side of the pommel, as well as what is around the circumferance of the pommel. I've got a bunch of pictures of that sword, but nothing that tells the whole story unfortunately...
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
William Knight

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please send me higher-resolution pictures!. Both the one you highlighted and the one with the rock crystal pommel are really gorgeous (maybe I'm girly or something, but I love rock crystal pommels, like something out of a fantasy novel, only less silly).
-Will Knight
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Knight wrote:
Please send me higher-resolution pictures!. Both the one you highlighted and the one with the rock crystal pommel are really gorgeous (maybe I'm girly or something, but I love rock crystal pommels, like something out of a fantasy novel, only less silly).
-Will Knight

I believe that particular rock crystal-pommeled sword may be fake, all or in part.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was wondering if that was really intended to be a rock crystal pommel? I've seen in some museums where they replace missing fragments of an artifact with a clear acrylic similitude to sort of fill in the gap, I was wondering if perhaps the pommel was missing from that sword and that what they are showing there is just a representation? Of course I've got a pretty old (I assume) picture of that same sword with a clear pommel so perhaps not. Also, are there any high resolution pictures of the scabbards available?

[/img]

Attachment: 57.63 KB
bayerisches.jpg

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, this article seems to have some interesting information relating to the crystal-pommeled sword.
Dan
http://bjorn.foxtail.nu/h_gbs_eng.htm
Michael S. Rivet

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ulli Martens wrote:
"Sword. Iron, gold-plated, leathercut. Disc pommel. With display of Maria and transcription "o maria bit vir vns". Blade brand. German, circa 1450 Castle Ambras"

Anyone know what "o maria bit vir vns" means? Not really good with Latin.
Michael S. Rivet

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jörg W. wrote:
and now the ugliest sword from records Big Grin
XVIa #3 (p. 154): this short bow Eek! guard (Oakeshotts: " rather exaggerated 6") is the ugliest i have ever seen. and the type K pommel (Oakeshotts: " rather exaggerated K").. well, it doesn't turn it around Razz

I dunno. I rather like that one.
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

It's not Latin. I believe it translates, "O Mary, Pray for Us," but you'll want someone versed in German (Old High?), Dutch or Flemish or whatever to confirm that. I'm working from my rudimentary Norwegian, so its not an exact science on my part. Looks like a line from a litany, though.

My second guess would be "O Mary, Be With Us."
Ken Jay

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the XIIIa.5 - well preserved and a great representative of the class.
Darrin Hughes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad that this thread was resurrected as it is one that I've never seen before. It's particularly nice to see XX.4 getting some support, as I was only showing this sword to somebody the other day with a mind to possibly getting one made, so that was a happy coincidence. Beautiful, beautiful sword. Happy

With regards to the clear pommel, my first impression was also that this was intended to represent a missing piece. The British museum has something very similar, where they've done a reconstruction of the Sutton Hoo hilt. All of the missing organic components have been replaced with clear plastic to show how everything fitted together.

Attachment: 20.97 KB
ps269137_l.jpg

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bucking the trend here a bit would be the first reproduction i bought. Both Del Tin and Windlass have done this sword. It appears in Records, as well as AoC and AoW. I ended up going with the Windlass sword, mostly as a matter of cost and testing the waters. Maybe a little truer to the two dimensional view of this sword, the Windlass was reviewed early on by Patrick Kelly as both a good news and bad news addition to the world of reproductions. Not quite ten years later, I still like this sword and may yet aquire the Del Tin version. The Del Tin (5160) version gets mixed reviews as well and maybe this is one sword that is a clear either side of the fence candidate. The sword is presented in Records towards the back as an example of complex hilts. The original does look more nicely sticky pointy than either the Windlass or Del Tin.

The silver ring was an addition by me when I had first tightened up the hilt but has since been replaced by a temporary second mock turk's head inspired by a Sean Flynt muse of toying with an Ipod cord. Somewhere on my list of things to do is buying some wire to play with. What happened was I ended up with a bit of a gap from a spacer I had put in there to align the threaded pommel.

I always liked the effort Art Elwell did in updating a Del Tin example and doing a scabbard for it. i believe it was in Chad's collection for some time and moved on. Roger mebbe?

Cheers

GC
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
I always liked the effort Art Elwell did in updating a Del Tin example and doing a scabbard for it. i believe it was in Chad's collection for some time and moved on. Roger mebbe?

Cheers

GC

Yep, It was one of mine:

I regret selling that one, but the funds went toward an engagement ring (a great trade-off Happy ). At one time Gus Trim gave the DT5160 great marks on handling. I always liked it.

I forget who I sold it to.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Ulli Martin

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:
Quote:

It's not Latin. I believe it translates, "O Mary, Pray for Us," but you'll want someone versed in German (Old High?), Dutch or Flemish or whatever to confirm that. I'm working from my rudimentary Norwegian, so its not an exact science on my part. Looks like a line from a litany, though.

My second guess would be "O Mary, Be With Us."

I think David is right, I'm pretty sure it means "O Mary, Pray for Us."

o maria bit vir vns --> Oh Maria, bete für uns (German) --> O Mary, Pray for Us

I will visit the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum again in some weeks. If anybody here would like to see some pictures (or special details of them) of any displayed weapon, armor or etc. just write it down here. I will take a better camera next time with me - because the blurred pictures above were taken with a mobile phone camera... ;-)

Cheers,

Ulli
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

XVII a non-fullered hex blade as the Oakeshott drawing shows...

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 19 Apr, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is beautiful. Who made it?
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
This is beautiful. Who made it?

Thanks Luka, This was a custom order that I made with Michael 'Tinker' Pearce back in 2005
Francisco Simões

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
I would go for two very singular swords:
The Xa.10 on page 45 and the XIV.2 on page 117.
I personnaly love the hilts on these two.
Godspeed

Non nobis Domine non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da gloriam
Dave P.

PostPosted: Thu 24 Apr, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Seems like nobody has mentioned my favorite. I don't have my copy of "Records" in front of me, but I'm fairly certain the sword I'm thinking of is X.14. It's one of the few type X swords with the cruciform hilt (I believe Oakeshott says it may have been re-hilted). It has a very distinct flared cross with little gargoyle faces (I forget what Oakeshott called them...) at the ends, with some kind of design going across the entire cross. It caught my eye the very first time I flipped through the book, and has remained my favorite since then.

I'd love to see a better picture of it, if anybody knows where I can find one.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your favourite sword in 'Records'?
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: