Go to page 1, 2  Next

'Diamond' hilt off to AZ for a little antique treatment !
Being very satisfied with the antiquing treatment that he recently did to Alex McCracken's 'brass & steel' basket-hilt, Vince Evans suggested that I should consider doing the same to the 'Diamond' hilt piece he'd made me ! ( took me less than a second to agree :-)

The treatment basically involves a bluing solution being applied to the steel, than burnishing it all off the raised areas, while leaving the recess details, nooks & crannys, highlighted by the bluing !

So off came my hilt & pommel .... and west they went , again !
Kinda scary considering all the postal mishaps that can occur (and once did) but I was brave(heart) and insured it up the wa-zoo *g*

[ Linked Image ]

Here are some "before" scans so we can compare when it's done !

[ Linked Image ]

* I figure it was only a matter of time before Colonel Dale, & Captain Alexander, make this finish mandatory for the Regiment anyways ;-)

I'll be sure to let you all see how it come out !

Alba Gu Brath , Mac

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Sat 27 Mar, 2004 6:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Here are two shots that show this treatment on Alex's fine VE 'brass & steel' piece !

Really makes the detail jump out at you ! Mac

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Here is the basket without the treatment .....

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Hi Mac,

That's great, I'm really looking forward to seeing the results.

May it arrive to Mr. Evans safe & sound.. ;) I remember the incident of 2002 when the USPS managed to damage the additional rear-guard upon the arrival of your precious.

Stephen
Stephen A. Fisher wrote:
Hi Mac,
That's great, I'm really looking forward to seeing the results.
May it arrive to Mr. Evans safe & sound.. ;) I remember the incident of 2002 when the USPS managed to damage the additional rear-guard upon the arrival of your precious.
Stephen

Hi Stephen

Thank you ..... I'll be sure and post the results upon its return !
( Vince said it should not take him long to get it back to me :-)

Slàinte, Mac
Since I know everyone is on the edge of their seat & chomping at the bit .....

My hilt arrived safe & sound ..... Vince already got it finished ..... and it will be heading back to me soon !

Can't beat that service ! Thanks Vince , Mac
Mac I think that will be just the ticket for making a great sword even better. All of Vinces wonderfull detail will be much more apparent to the naked eye.

I've got to get an Evans BH one of these days!
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Mac I think that will be just the ticket for making a great sword even better. All of Vinces wonderfull detail will be much more apparent to the naked eye.
I've got to get an Evans BH one of these days!

Hi Patrick

Yes indeed, a nice VE 'Irish' hilt for Mr. Kelly would be quite awesome ( your a sept of the clanMacDonald afterall :-)

The thing about these modern steel, burnished, hilts is they tend to stay real pretty ( not like the old iron ones that were actually being used day to day, out in the weather, etc! ) It's hard to develop a good patina indoors .....

So this will not only define all the little details but will help to give it a bit of an 'aged' look, without the ill effects of Mother Nature !

"VE Viking axe .... Ron will work with you ....Companion piece ...."

Hmm, did I say that out loud ? Mac
Update : 3/31/'04 , 2:03 pm EST .

Vince e-mailed to say : "Your basket is headed home"

*g* Mac
Thomas McDonald wrote:
Update : 3/31/'04 , 2:03 pm EST .

Vince e-mailed to say : "Your basket is headed home"

*g* Mac

Wow, that was quick! I can't wait to see it.
Beautiful sword
Hi Mac,
I just wanted to say how beautiful that Vince Evans Baskethilt is. He does wonderful work, but from what I hear his waiting list is full. I am looking forward to seeing what this baskethilt looks like now that he is done with it.
James
I missed the postman this morning ( par usual) so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to go sign for my hilt !

I hope the weather improves, & we get a little sun, as new glamour shots are a must !

Stay tuned to this channel, Mac
Picked up my hilt at the post office this am ......
I'm happy to report that the Pony Express got it here safe & sound, and it's gorgeous !!

Vince did a super job on it and I'm thrilled !

The weather here is gross ... no sun, overcast & grey .... but I shot 2 rolls of film anyways !
Hopefully something decent comes out so I can show off how nice it looks ( not an easy thing to capture this sort of treatment !)

So I'm off to the 1 hour Photo-Lab to get 'em processed ( although 1 hour really means a.) maybe we'll get it done today, or b.) Sorry, Sir ... our machine is broken !

But I shall endeavor to persevere , Mac
Pics! Pics!

Hurry! Hurry!
Mac,

My brass and steel babe is getting jealous that she may be upstaged by diamonds... But
we still wants to see some pics anyway. ;)

Alex

Attachment: 68.18 KB
Brass Sword 1b.jpg

And without further delay ......

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Personally, I think that's a huge, huge, huge improvement.

Your thoughts, Mac?
The new finish is subtle, yet gives the sword an entirely different "feel".

In other words, it's even more stunning than it was before!
Mac,

Incredible! Awesome pictures as well!

thanks for sharing this with us! I'm very jealous right now.
Stephen
Hi Nathan

I agree 100% .....

It's amazing how these subtle little things will give a piece a whole different look & feel ( by feel I mean the impression you get when looking at it ). I'm not sure how the pics are coming across on the Net , but in person this treatment makes a world of difference .... It kinda has that old Doune pistol-grey look to it . I luv it !

Vince Rocks ! Mac
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: