Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite Two-Handed Sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is absolutely gorgeous and several people have mentioned it and I've salivated over it a tad myself!

Custom German Two Handed Sword
A custom two-handed sword done to customer's specs. Hand-forged custom furniture, blued, with a brown leather grip with patterned underlayment. The blade is 6150 steel with three fullers and slightly down-swept lugs.

Overall length: 68.5"; Blade: 51" x 1.75"; Guard Width: 15.5"; Grip Length: 16.125"; Weight: 6.8 pounds
Which of course is the sword at this link: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/custom912.html

My two hander is Arms & Armor's Highland Claymore, though not as long as their 15th Century Two Hander, it's entire focus is "The Cut" and WOW dois it ever cut, I have the German Bastard Swrod too, but I consider it more of a heavy duty hand and a half sword in relation to myself. Whereas, the Highland Claymore demands two hands to avoid any slop in execution of the cut or any other maneuver. It's like the 454 magnum "hand held cannon revolver" of cutting swords! Evil

What a magnificent and surprisingly reasonably priced BEAST it IS Indeed!

A truly great representation of the Scots in my collection!

Bob

It IS What It IS! Only In Truth, Can Reality Exist!
To "Learn" we must empty our minds and therefore open our mind and spirit. A wet sponge absorbs no water. A preconceived mind is recalcitrant to new knowledge!
Matt Lewis

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This................ Eek!

Without a shadow of a doubt my favorite sword in the world, except maybe a couple of antiques.

If this ever comes up for sale , I'll sell a lung Big Grin

Attachment: 93.35 KB
[ Download ]
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Matt,

Is that an XVIIIb? The closest Albion would be the Regent but with a different pommel?
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity, What is the deal with the Albion Discerner? I noticed it has been out since 2001. I did a search on this forum and not much information comes up. What are your opinions of this sword? What is the difference between the Special and limited edition?

Oh, and finally, Besides the Svante, what would be you next cost no object Albion Sword (assuming you could pick one besides the Svante for free, or something like that... you get the idea) ?

Attachment: 89.67 KB
Discerner_05a.jpg

Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The discerner does seem to be a little hard to get good info on. I would love to see in in some one's hand. Sometimes I think the pommel and hilt are a little over sized, but I have never really got a good idea of how it feels.
I don't know if it really counts as a two hander though...
There is no choice now between the two editions now, but you could choose between the two Beastmaster swords still.

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Matt Lewis

PostPosted: Sun 25 May, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah I'm Pretty convinced it's an XVIIIb, Looking at the blade I cant help thinking the munich might be a closer blade .
I have something in the pipe...................but not with a munich :o)

Err I think the discerner has lovely lines, I would have one in a heartbeat if it it did not look like it should be hung around Mr T"s neck.

Alex all the information in the world on Discerner and then some www.albion-swords.com/Discerner/Discerner.html

I have even found you a picture of a chappy holding one :o)

It's 44.5 inches long and weighs 3.75 Lbs so its a good sized bastard sword.

Best,

M.

Edit: A dane !! gimmegimmegimme !

Attachment: 0 Bytes
Discerner_04.jpg

Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 May, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, I think I'm a little late on this one! My favorite two-hander? Well, as always, I can't mention just one. Wink

I've always admired A&A's 15th century two-hander and their Highland Claymore. I've always loved Albion's Brescia Spadona (looks like the Black Prince sword on steroids!). And speaking of Albion, man I can't wait to see that Tyrolean!!
Sorry, but I've never been a big fan of the Svante. I don't really know why; it just doesn't appeal to me... Confused

I've also liked MRL's "Ravenna" sword. They've long since discontinued it, but it was a nice-looking piece. I played with one briefly at the OH Renaissance festival and almost got dizzy looking at the wobbly blade, hence my only complaint about it. I stuck it in the ground and watched the hilt swing back and forth like a metronome for several minutes. Of course a blade should be flexible, but Good Lord!

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sun 25 May, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If cost was no object and I could choose any Albion 2 hander besides the Svante, I would be torn between the Viceroy, Regent, Munich, Knecht, and Brescia Spadona. If that narrows it down at all Big Grin
www.addisondelisle.com
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sun 25 May, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like Mike would agree with you from page 1 of this thread:

Quote:
Albion's Brescia Spadona- By far the best sword I've ever used. Man she just floats through forms and cutting drills. Hands down the best sword I've ever had pass through my hands and will only part with her after my death. God I love that sword.

Doesn't anybody want the Maximilian? What if they offer the Maximilian with a leather ricasso? I like the fancier pomel I guess... It is so easy for them to add a leather ricasso, I imagine they will give you the option.... I know some prefer the plainer version.

Tyrolean vs Maximiliian kinda reminds me of: the Oakeshott vs the Chevalier (at some point I'm thinking I'll pick up one of the two, and I'm leaning toward the Chevalier... may as well wait for it to come out....)
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sun 25 May, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Has anyone mentioned the Viceroy? Does anybody own one? No love for the XXa?

Last edited by Chris Artman on Mon 26 May, 2008 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 May, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
Has anyone mentioned the Viceroy? Does aanybody own one? No love for the XXa?

I do like the XXa style but the proportions of the Viceroy are somehow not balanced to my eye. The blade style is interesting to me, the ones with the long ricassos seem to be a developmental acknowledgement that the first 1/3rd of the blade or forte was by this time more useful for parrying or half-swording than for cutting. The cross section of this area also pushes the flex pattern of the blade forward, increasing stiffness.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Sun 25 May, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
Hey Matt,

Is that an XVIIIb? The closest Albion would be the Regent but with a different pommel?

Chris, that is another Peter Johnsson masterpeice. Search Solingen Trio in the forums, it was one of three he showed in that thread. There's quite a bit more to it than a Regent with a different pommel.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 26 May, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
Has anyone mentioned the Viceroy? Does aanybody own one? No love for the XXa?

We've published a review of this sword. Check it out on our Reviews Page.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Mon 26 May, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found the pics Peter posted previously.

By the way, what is the largest 2 hander that cuts equally as well as thrusts? The XXa?

Attachment: 59.13 KB
XVIIIb_hilt.jpg

Attachment: 44.85 KB
Trio.jpg

Attachment: 68.3 KB
Pair_hilts.jpg

Chris Artman

PostPosted: Mon 26 May, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One more time to have these beauties all together Happy Nothing like seeeing the photos all together... wow!

Attachment: 15.95 KB
6-peter-johnsson.jpg

Chris Artman

PostPosted: Tue 27 May, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

About the Tyrolean and Maximillian:

I know these two pieces are not going to be out for a little while. I would like to suggest that Albion should offer both versions with the option of a leather riccaso since it was a funtional piece used for the grip of the second hand. Since Albion offers the choice of half wire grip for some versions of swords, I see this as an actually easier proposition (easier to attach a leather ricasso). I am not certain whether or not I would get a leather ricasso or not, but I would hate to have to base my decision on Tyrolean vs Maximillian based on the leather ricasso. I think it would be nice to have a choice to add a leather ricasso to the maximillian. In any case, I see no harm at all and I think this is a more than feasible option. Albion can even chose to add more to the cost if they so chose to add the leather ricaso to the maximillian, as an option. Everybody is happy this way, or at the least, it hurts nothing to offer this option. I would appreciate that people who feel the same way, mention this to Albion. Looks like we have a little wait until these guys are available.

As to the Dane, which will be available first, I have an order in on that unique sword!
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Tue 27 May, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:

I know these two pieces are not going to be out for a little while. I would like to suggest that Albion should offer both versions with the option of a leather riccaso since it was a funtional piece used for the grip of the second hand. Since Albion offers the choice of half wire grip for some versions of swords, I see this as an actually easier proposition (easier to attach a leather ricasso). I am not certain whether or not I would get a leather ricasso or not, but I would hate to have to base my decision on Tyrolean vs Maximillian based on the leather ricasso. I think it would be nice to have a choice to add a leather ricasso to the maximillian. In any case, I see no harm at all and I think this is a more than feasible option. Albion can even chose to add more to the cost if they so chose to add the leather ricaso to the maximillian, as an option. Everybody is happy this way, or at the least, it hurts nothing to offer this option. I would appreciate that people who feel the same way, mention this to Albion. Looks like we have a little wait until these guys are available.

As to the Dane, which will be available first, I have an order in on that unique sword!

I for one would prefer that the Maximillian not have the leather ricasso. While the blade might end being the same for both I think that the rest of the furniture should be as different as possible. Maybe that is just me but otherwise you end up with swords that look to cookie cutter in my opinion. I am of the simpler is better school for my tools. I prefer working wepons to art weapons so having the writhen furniture with a simple leather piece does not fit.

Scott
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Tue 27 May, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is why I was hoping it would be an option, which all it does is add flexibilty to choices. It can't hurt to have more choices... just like half-wire wrap or standard. I didn;t see the Maximilian being in conflict, aesthetically, with a leather ricasso... but in either case, all I was asking for is the ability to chose, which only adds more flexibility to the choices.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Tue 27 May, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe that Chad hit on this Chris in your post about one-handers. Albion in the end is a production sword maker and not a custom maker, albeit a high quality production company. The more options they offer the more their prices will go up and at the same time the number of models they will be both willing and able to offer will decrease. A lose lose situation for all of us including Albion. In this case I think the wait for a custom maker will get you what you want. Just my thoughts on the subject at hand.

Scott
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 May, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:

This is the point at which I think most collectors go to a custom smith or cutler to have their tastes satisfied. Albion may consider offering the option you mentioned if there is enough interest/requests, but I would'nt hold my breath for it if I were you, you may be better off ordering the Maximillian and having a leather ricasso added by one who does custom work of this nature, there are a few that come to mind.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite Two-Handed Sword?
Page 6 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: