Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite Two-Handed Sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Tue 27 May, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The other thing to consider with Albion swords is that the designs are done by Peter Johnsson. He decides what works with swords and what doesn't. A good recent example was when someone raised the issue of the Oakeshott not having central risers for the grip as shown on the sketch. Peter went into an explanation as to why that decision was reached with the Oakeshott and I would imagine this philosophy is carried through to all or their swords with regards to what they do and don't have as part of their design.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 27 May, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Peter went into an explanation as to why that decision was reached with the Oakeshott and I would imagine this philosophy is carried through to all or their swords with regards to what they do and don't have as part of their design.

Yes, I totally agree. I did read that thread by the way, which peaked my interest in the Oakeshott vs the Chevallier. I suppose this is a unique situation with a leather ricasso... Its not like you are asking for a different pommel (which they have done in the past). It is just a leather wrapping really... But in any case, as long as it is true ARTISTIC decision being made, and NOT financially or production based, I don't have a problem with any decision being made. I did read Peter's long response about how the simplicity of the Oakeshott and removal of what was on the drawing was purely the best artistic option. He has an eye for beauty and what looks best, no doubt. I suppose, the issue of the ricaso was an issue I just wanted to bring into discussion. Again, as long as decisions are based entirely on aesthetics, such as in the Oakeshott, that makes total sense. As far as complicating the production, I see no valid reason why there would be any differene in adding a leather ricasso to the Maximilian vs Tyrolean: as it seems in the preliminary picture, it would be an identical process, so no complication in the production line whatsoever.

As far as the Chevallier, I'm so very curious to see its final release and to see what the final version looks like... Lots of nice feedback on the Oakeshott for sure, so I think the only difference is going to be the aesthetics, which is what peter said in his respons to the manufacturers thread about the Oakeshott: they have the same blade and apparently will handle exactly the same (just different looks). Although if the pommel is really shaped like that, can't that alone affect handling? I'll pick up one of the two, I'm just going to wait until the Chevallier is released. From what it seems like, shouldn't be more than another month or so....

Quote:
you may be better off ordering the Maximillian and having a leather ricasso added by one who does custom work of this nature, there are a few that come to mind

Who would do this kind of work? Ollin, CF, ...? By the way, I was going to make this a separate post, but maybe I can squeeze this in without getting off topic... What choices do we have for scabbard makers for our favorite 2 handed swords? (search is too general, scabbard is in way too many topics)
Stu C

PostPosted: Tue 27 May, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Chris Artman"]
Quote:
... But in any case, as long as it is true ARTISTIC decision being made, and NOT financially or production based, I don't have a problem with any decision being made.

Albion is a business like any other, and as such I would have thought that some product decisions are inevitably going to be based on financial and/or production reasons. Fundamentally, they put products out there and the consumer has a choice as to whether or not they purchase them. If financial and production considerations were not taken into account at every step of the way (from initial concept through to sword delivery), they would probably be out of business (i.e. the swords would be much too expensive or not profitable or both)...

Stu
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Tue 27 May, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, of course they are going to make decisions based on cost, but that was not my point. nothing to do with any generalization like that. My point was specifically regarding the choice of the leather ricasso. The cost would be trivial, and certainly charging an extra fee for those that would want it would be more than fine. Anyway, running a buisness properly was not the issue. I specifically meant that the decision based on the leather ricasso for the maximilian should be based soley on artistic merits, since the minimal cost difference should not be a real issue (something like how they offer the half-wire grip, except in this case it is even easier to add). Of course, there would have to ba an acceptable artistic reason offer the leather ricasso with the maximilian. Anyway, that is all that was meant.
Matt Lewis

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to have to go with the Dane. love the design

If I can sell my granny soon enough i'm going to get one Big Grin
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Fri 30 May, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of the following XIX 2 hander's from albion, which would you prefer:

A) The Hauptmann

B) The Markgraf

C) The Gallowglass

D) Other XIX
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 May, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
Of the following XIX 2 hander's from albion, which would you prefer:

A) The Hauptmann

B) The Markgraf

C) The Gallowglass

D) Other XIX

Out of those, I think I'd go with the Gallowglass. I'm a sucker for just about anything Irish. I'd probably even fork out the extra cash to have the cross/pommel antiqued and the grip color a dark green. Slainte!

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sat 31 May, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm, I'd probably go for the Margraf; I really like the looks of the hilt on it, and I think it has the same blade as the Gallowglass. I owned a Gallowglass sword for a while, I didn't care for the ring pommel on the Gallowglass, because I like the grip the pommel and the size and shape of the Gallowglass pommel not very conductive to this for me. It is a pretty sword though.

As for the leather wrap over the ricasso being applied to Tyrolean and not the Maximilian:

1) Albion isn't a custom company, and I can only think of one instance in which they swapped out a pommel (it was applying a Regent pommel to a Viceroy), and they stated they would not repeat it. Putting a leather wrap over part of the blade seems like a more significant modification, and if they do it on one, then someone else will want it, and they'll end up doing non-standard work too often, which is not their goal as a production company.

2) I would imagine the blade is treated differently under the leather wrap in the Tyrolean than in the Maximilian - my guess is that it's probably not sharpened underneath it to avoid self-destruction over time, or has some sort of modification to the blade geometry to accommodate the leather. Therefore, the Maximilian blade probably isn't optimized for receiving a leather wrap. If you really want it, I would second the opinion that you have someone like Christan Fletcher modify the blade after it leaves Albion.

Just my $0.02

www.addisondelisle.com
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sat 31 May, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I would imagine the blade is treated differently under the leather wrap in the Tyrolean than in the Maximilian - my guess is that it's probably not sharpened underneath it to avoid self-destruction over time

For a second I thought both had a non-sharpened, metal ricasso, but now that you mention it, the drawing of the maximilian does not... So yes, the drawing would have to change and have a flat, non-sharpened metal riccaso to have an overlying leather ricasso.

Either way, I'm sure both will turn out very nice... It is all just 'food-for-thought'.

We already know the Dane has been completely redesigned... At least there are not two versions of the Dane Wink It is hard to pick sometimes! (Just as it is hard to pick between the XIX's, the Oakeshott vs Chevalier, etc...)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite Two-Handed Sword?
Page 7 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: