Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite Two-Handed Sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Speaking of Thomas Yeudall again, I'll give him a call at some point. We exchanged an email.

That 2 handed scottish lowlander at 75 inches total length is very impressive.

Also, just wanted to post his version of the Landskneicht sword which I thought was beautiful. I wonder who owns one?
The cost is 1750 GBP ($3,450.00)

Attachment: 5.4 KB
No2-1520AD.jpg

Chris Artman

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
#1 most desired on my list would be Albion's upcoming Tyrolean, been drooling over it ever since the concept drawing was put on the site

Justin, what is the reason you prefer the Tyrolean over the Maximilian, in regards to the two upcoming Albion Swords...
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
Quote:
#1 most desired on my list would be Albion's upcoming Tyrolean, been drooling over it ever since the concept drawing was put on the site

Justin, what is the reason you prefer the Tyrolean over the Maximilian, in regards to the two upcoming Albion Swords...

Probably because as far as I am aware, it is the only reproduction of this particular type of sword that is not associated with the film "Braveheart", it is also likely the highest-quality one availible on the production market (when it becomes availible).
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can barely tell the difference between the Maximilian and the Tyrolean, except it looks like there will be a 'hand grip' on the other side of the guard, or something like that... they look so similar... Was there something about the Maximilian that turned you off? Literally they same almost like the same sword.... I'm just trying to figure out the difference between those two upcoming Albion's ....
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
I can barely tell the difference between the Maximilian and the Tyrolean, except it looks like there will be a 'hand grip' on the other side of the guard, or something like that... they look so similar... Was there something about the Maximilian that turned you off? Literally they same almost like the same sword.... I'm just trying to figure out the difference between those two upcoming Albion's ....

Looking at the concept artwork, the Maximilian appears to also have a more decorative cross and pommel the the Tyrolean.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:

The differences seem to mainly stylistic, they are essentially the same type of sword and based on the same blade.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The leather ricasso(sp?) on the Tyrolean would allow for half swording making it a more practical weapon in a wider variety of combat situations. Though it is hard to tell from the drawing of the Maximilian if it has a ricasso or not.

Chris,
Did you ask Thomas Yeudall about sharp versions of his swords? I was looking at them as well until I read here that he did not sell sharp versions. For those prices and unsharpened I will buy Albion or A&Ar look to Ollin for a custom piece.

Scott
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also ask that you call Albion and request a desire for a scottish Lowlander 2 hander. Apparently Mike is keeping track of requests and they already have some requests for the Scottish Lowlander... The more people that ask, the more motivated they will be... Just drop them an email or call--that would be so helpful.

Am I correct in saying that if you buy something from the Czech republic or Scottland, I would have to pay import duty in the U.S.? Or do I have an allownace or such? Either way, my guess is that the 75 inch version of the Scottish Lowlander with fees, shipping, insurance would cost close to $3,000.00. The sword itself is around $1900 USD... I could be overestimating the final cost, but it would be at least 2600.00 I would think.

Is there something special about Thomas swords otherwise? I just want a couple 'extreme' 2 handers in the 75 inch range just for fun. But at the same time, I don't want that Paul Chen hunk of garbage. Don't get me wrong, for $200, that Paul Chen version is priced fine, but I have no desire for low quality pieces.

Unless there is something special about Thomas Y. swords and his Scottish Lowlander, I'm leaning toward going the A&A or Ollin route.
Douglas S

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I likes me a good XIIIa. Angus made a "light" version of that with about a million fullers. Happy Wish I grabbed one while they were still available...
Tim Mathews

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all
Please pardon my computer challenged ignorance ... I went to the Albion site looking for the two handers mentioned herein ... The tyrolean(?) and maximilian(?)
I am unable to find them ... Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much !

Tim Mathews
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...milian.htm

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...rolean.htm

They both seems very nice... I will have a hard time chosing. The Dane is unique enough, so I already pre-ordered The Dane. I'll probably grab one of the two below, but just not sure which one yet. How long have these three 2-handers been announced on Albion's website? I wonder what the ETA for these three swords will be...?

Attachment: 22 KB
maximilian-art.jpg

Attachment: 23.09 KB
tyrolean-art.jpg

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:

They both seems very nice... I will have a hard time chosing. The Dane is unique enough, so I already pre-ordered The Dane. I'll probably grab one of the two below, but just not sure which one yet. How long have these three 2-handers been announced on Albion's website? I wonder what the ETA for these three swords will be...?

The Tyrolean and Maximiliam were named in a public contest in November 2005.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, I hope the Dane wasn't announced in 2007 Eek! Eek!
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two-Handed Sword of the State Guard of Julius of Brunswick-Lunüneburg, Germany, Brunswick, 16th century 1574

Who needs a 75 inch fantasy sword when you can just replicate this 2 hander... Thomas Y. of Scottland Armoury makes a killer replica of this sword as shown earlier in this thread... it is tres expensiv though... looks beautiful...

Anyone have more pictures of this sword??

Attachment: 5.32 KB
Brunswick.jpg

Chris Artman

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some interesting originals as well:

Attachment: 5.14 KB
1919_68.jpg

Attachment: 5.24 KB
1919_70.jpg

Attachment: 18.37 KB
zwth.jpg

Attachment: 26.55 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 25.5 KB
[ Download ]
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Our Albums section has pages of antique zweihanders. Click on Albums, click search and type in "zwei". Happy
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
Am I correct in saying that if you buy something from the Czech republic or Scottland, I would have to pay import duty in the U.S.? Or do I have an allownace or such? Either way, my guess is that the 75 inch version of the Scottish Lowlander with fees, shipping, insurance would cost close to $3,000.00. The sword itself is around $1900 USD... I could be overestimating the final cost, but it would be at least 2600.00 I would think.

I have never paid an import duty and I would not expect shipping for a sword, even a large one to run over $200. Things change with time and I have not had anything shipped to the US in over six months but I'd be very surprised if you ended up with $600-$700 in shipping expense.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If that is the case, then the total sword cost would be about $2,100.00

I'll keep that in mind...
Stu C

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
Is there something special about Thomas swords otherwise? I just want a couple 'extreme' 2 handers in the 75 inch range just for fun. But at the same time, I don't want that Paul Chen hunk of garbage. Don't get me wrong, for $200, that Paul Chen version is priced fine, but I have no desire for low quality pieces.

Unless there is something special about Thomas Y. swords and his Scottish Lowlander, I'm leaning toward going the A&A or Ollin route.

Not sure if there is anything intrinsically 'special' about them. They are certainly very nicely made - nice blades, fittings, leatherwork (particularly), etc, and in terms of the larger weapons he produces stuff that is not necessarily very widely available (e.g. swords in the 75" range). I am - of course - biased because I have bought 3 two-handers from him, sinking more money than I care to think about. But I really like the aesthetics, so I'm happy.

I figure that small makers are always going to charge more than quality larger makers (such as Albion) because of the different manufacturing techniques, economies of scale, etc. It's basic maths, if you are producing 25 swords a year, you probably have to charge a relatively high price to justify bothering to run the business. Nevertheless, for me personally, the price of the 75" lowlander is probably up at the ceiling of what I would be prepared to pay, no matter how good/limited/hand-made the product is.

Stu
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll look into the options in another 2 weeks.

For those who like the zweihander swords such as those above, and if you were going to have one made, would you chose the flamberge option, straight blade, horned option (such as one of the ones above and also Thomas Y's version has that smooth 'horned' flamberge style), or knockwurst style? Which blade version would you get?

Last edited by Chris Artman on Thu 22 May, 2008 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite Two-Handed Sword?
Page 4 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: