Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite Two-Handed Sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
Wow, I hope the Dane wasn't announced in 2007 Eek! Eek!

The Dane was announced at the same time. I'd guess that it's farther along in production than the Tyrolean and Maximilian though, as they had a bade prototype for it at some point I think....

www.addisondelisle.com
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I asked about the Dane recently, they mentioned it was being revised... so maybe all three are in the same amount of delay. Whatever it takes to get it correct is fine by me....

By the way, what is th ereason for limiting the number of swords they make in a particular design? I mean, if it is a great sword, why not make it for as many people who want it for as long as they can make it?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:

By the way, what is th ereason for limiting the number of swords they make in a particular design? I mean, if it is a great sword, why not make it for as many people who want it for as long as they can make it?

Here's their official statement on why they use limited editions: http://www.albion-swords.com/limited.htm

Another reason is that the threat of a model running out may entice people to order that were on the fence or were thinking they might order at a future date. It creates (or adds to) the level of demand.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Tim Mathews

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks , Chris , for the links ... I need to spend more time on the Albion site ... Great looking stuff !
Tim

Tim Mathews
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Upon further discussion, you are correct that the Dane is further along towards production than the Tyrolean and the Maximillian...

Apparently they have a new C&C machine at Albion with a much longer and larger cutting range which is going to help with the enthusiasm level of 2 handed swords, now that they will be easier to fabricate with this new machine.

Can I get any takers on the previous question regarding blade preference for Zweihanders? Straight (normal), horned (a wide gentle flamberge), a typical flamberge, or knockwurst?

It will be great when they add more two handers at Albion. I'd love to see a museum level Zweihander sword and some others...
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris;

Well, I have this one by Del Tin: http://www.arts-swords.com/item/DT-DT2162.asp

The DT 2162 and it's the kind I like as it's still a " using " twohander as opposed to the very excessive in size bearing swords that weight up to 15 pounds or more !? Never meant for actual battlefield use I think.

As to blade style I might like some of the flamberge styles but I personally don't like the overly " baroque " guard designs, but this is mostly because the simpler DT 2162 has clean simple lines and may be more representative of the earlier ones that were in actual use.

The A & A English twohander being even earlier and could be seen as an extreme sized great-sword, war-sword, long-sword as opposed to the 16th century true twohanders: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/sword156.html

From their custom page I would consider this one as very nice even if the guard is more ornate than my preferences it is still
leaning on the side a useable sword and not over the top " decorative ": http://www.arms-n-armor.com/custom912.html

A version of this one could be done with a flamberge type blade and the above shown custom sword means that A & A has experience making these and I think this is important because heat treating such a long blade has special problems and needs a way to heat, quench and temper that can take the extreme lengths involved.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, you must have amassed a beautiful collection. The more I dig through the archives, the more unique and special pieces I see you have obtained, especially interesting custom items... Even that piece thru Angus Trim and Christian Fletcher which was a one time deal... how nice is that!

Is "A Work of Art" a U.S. distributor for Del Tin? So instead of ordering from Del Tin's website, we should just order thru a "Work of Art" ??

(Looking forward to getting about 8 books in I have ordered).

I wonder what the total length of the Tyolean and Maximilian is going to be? I suspect about 64 inches...

Last edited by Chris Artman on Fri 23 May, 2008 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
Is "A Work of Art" a U.S. distributor for Del Tin? So instead of ordering from Del Tin's website, we should just order thru a "Work of Art" ??

Art can get anything from Del Tin you would want. He also usually has stock on-hand. Ordering directly from Del Tin usually takes several months.

Happy

ChadA

Chris Artman

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way is the AT 1435, the longest stock blade Angus Trim makes?

I think this would be a fun sword to own as well: "Panzerstecher" 2-hand sword

(The girl I have been hanging out with is funny and is catching on to what I have been doing. Last night she asked if *it * was battle ready yet...)

Attachment: 71.12 KB
pancc1.jpg

Chris Artman

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Arma Bohemia has done a copy of a longsword in the Cluny Museum that is similar in style to the Munich, this is also a much-desired sword for me.

Justin, so do you mean this one? Has anyone ordered from Arma Bohemia before, and what would the recommendation level be/quality?

Justin, you mentioned you wanted an Angus Trim blade for your version, correct?

Attachment: 149.1 KB
EP28v3.jpg

Attachment: 140.35 KB
EP28v2.jpg

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While the really large two-handed swords are nice looking Chris I am not a big fan of these type of swords. They are later in period and overly decorative for my tastes. Though the 3 offerings from Albion are more to my tastes and the Tyrolean is on my list of swords I would like to get. As for Gus' longest blade I believe that it would be in his 15 series blades.

Scott

BTW here is a picture of my 1423 XIIIa great sword with an overall length of 46".

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword I am drooling over since I first saw it... Wink
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm still confused as to why one would pick the tyrolean over the Maximilian... It is more of a need to understand and learn. The only real difference I can see is the pomel and the guard may have a slight bit more detail on the Maximilian vs the Tyrolean. And the Tyrolean has the Leather ricasso (for placement of the secoond hand). The reason I am asking again is that personally, I am really struggling to see the difference in everything other than the Ricasso. Yet nobody mentioned that as the reason. Since the blade is the same, the only difference would be the Ricasso and the slighty different guard/pommel detail... The shape of the furniture is essentially the same as far as I can tell... So is it the pommel, the guard/furniture difference, or the ricasso?

Hi Scott, is that a Christian Fletcher/Angus Trim combo?

Last edited by Chris Artman on Fri 23 May, 2008 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
I'm still confused as to why one would pick the tyrolean over the Maximilian... It is more of a need to understand and learn. The only real difference I can see is the pomel and the guard may have a slight bit more detail on the Maximilian vs the Tyrolean. And the Tyrolean has the Leather _____. The reason I am asking again is that personally, I am really struggling to see the difference in everything other than the _______. Yet nobody mentioned that as the reason.

The Maximilian has a writhen pommel and guard. The Tyrolean has the leather-wrapped ricasso. The blades appear to be the same and the grip are similar. So if you like a leather-wrapped ricasso, buy the Tyrolean. If you like the twisted/writhen pommel and guard, buy the Maximilian. It's not rocket science. Happy

The fancier guard and pommel of the Maximilian should be harder to finish/polish, which is probably why it's a little more expensive.

The Maximilian is a fancier weapon, so if you want to portray a wealthier person, it may be a better choice that the Tyrolean.

Happy

ChadA

Chris Artman

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, but it is nice to understand what specifically you like or dislike about each, your current answer is more of the type I was looking for... Just trying to see why you appreciate one design over another, since you have been at this for such a long time....

I have to say the leather ricasso had a functional purpose for placement of the second hand... I would think that would be appealing. If it were up to me, I'd probably just put a leather ricasso on the Maximilian and be happy with the extra detail....
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's all personal preference. I don't prefer one over the other at this point. They're just different. Happy
Happy

ChadA

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
I'm still confused as to why one would pick the tyrolean over the Maximilian... It is more of a need to understand and learn. The only real difference I can see is the pomel and the guard may have a slight bit more detail on the Maximilian vs the Tyrolean. And the Tyrolean has the Leather ricasso (for placement of the secoond hand). The reason I am asking again is that personally, I am really struggling to see the difference in everything other than the Ricasso. Yet nobody mentioned that as the reason. Since the blade is the same, the only difference would be the Ricasso and the slighty different guard/pommel detail... The shape of the furniture is essentially the same as far as I can tell... So is it the pommel, the guard/furniture difference, or the ricasso?

Hi Scott, is that a Christian Fletcher/Angus Trim combo?

Yes it is a Christian Fletcher/Angus Trim combo. I plan on getting a period correct scabbard and suspension system made for it by Russ Ellis.

As for why I like the Tyrolean more? A matter of taste in regards to the simpler decoration and as was stated earlier it is a good proximation of the sword from Braveheart. Kind of a silly reason I know. There are others on the list ahead of it so I might change my mind at a latter date.

Scott
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have always been secretly smitten with the "Braveheart " sword but have resisted buying the Del Tin version (the best quality version on the market to date, pending the release of the Tyrolean) because I just can't bring myself to buy a "movie sword", and also because I have grown to dislike Del Tin's blade/edge geometry. The Tyrolean solves both of these issues and is sure to be of good quality, and also designed according to historical parameters. The leather-covered ricasso is the distinctive feature here, I also prefer the simpler fittings as I have never been fond of the writhen style.

As to the Cluny museum longsword, that is the one I was referring to.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
By the way is the AT 1435, the longest stock blade Angus Trim makes?

I think this would be a fun sword to own as well: "Panzerstecher" 2-hand sword

Others might be of similar or close to it in length but the AT 1435 is probably the heaviest.

You would have to ask Angus about that to be sure.

The AT 1435 is about the maximum length and weight one would want in a longsword that would be practical to wear at belt level and as a sword useable in a civilian context. ( Mostly smaller and lighter swords might be prefered for this king of use like the more manageable Black Prince ( as made by A & A ) or something like the Albion Sovereign with a buckler ).

The Albion Doge also being a possibility. ( Note: Vast numbers of possibilities from coustilles to cinquedea to longswords to side swords or rapiers depending on period ).

The really big A & A 15th century longsword is more a battlefield only sword as well as the even bigger twohanders.
( At least for what a noble or warrior would carry as a personal defence weapon away from the battlefield. In a civilian context a body guard or a personal protective guard for a high noble might carry twohanders as well a polearms ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Fri 23 May, 2008 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 23 May, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
Quote:
Arma Bohemia has done a copy of a longsword in the Cluny Museum that is similar in style to the Munich, this is also a much-desired sword for me.

Justin, so do you mean this one? Has anyone ordered from Arma Bohemia before, and what would the recommendation level be/quality?

Justin, you mentioned you wanted an Angus Trim blade for your version, correct?

Yes people have ordered from Arma Bohemia. Pieces are hand made and in my opinion of good and varied quality, depending on what you are getting. Fit and finish is not always at the level of Albion but then again its not really their point.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite Two-Handed Sword?
Page 5 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: