Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Moroccan knives/swords- HELP needed Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 31 May, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Moroccan knives/swords- HELP needed         Reply with quote

Hello

My father is going to visit Morocco.He usually brings me some nice edged weapons from his trips.I hope he will do it this time as well Razz

Anyway I need help.Can you give me some pictures of typical Moroccan weapons(especially short ones-knives,daggers) with short descriptions?I have to send request to my father quickly and my knowledge in this area is poor.You guys are my only hope Wink

www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Sat 31 May, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Michal,
The Flyssa and the Nimcha are the edged weapons most associated with Morocco. The Flyssa comes in many sizes as does the Nimcha from dagger sizes right through to sword lengths. Be very careful as most of the pieces you are liable to be offered will be modern tourist type items, if you want real pieces, i.e. antique or personal weapons you will probably have to search with great care. Try the search function on the Ethnographic Sword Forum for photographs and more information. I hope this has been of some use to you.
Regards,
Norman.
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 31 May, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks! With keywords at least I know what I am looking for.
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Sat 31 May, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Moroccan weapons.         Reply with quote

Michal,
I agree with Norman. Also your father should be aware that the blades made for tourist consumption are not up to par with the real thing. Often the grips will be quite nice, made from camel bone, looking like ivory with inlays of brass or silver, but in fact just camel bone, but the blades are deliberately made of inferior stock. We have many shops of Moroccan artefacts in Montreal due to the influx of immigration from that area of the world over the last 20 years, so I have had the opportunity of talking to the owners and have asked why the blades are so flimsy, and not compatible with the nery nice work done on some of the grips. They told me it had to do with import-export regulations, so the Moroccan craftspeople have learned to put lower grade 'decorative' blades on their daggers and swords to evade being classified as a true weapon. Caveat emptor. JCH

Bon coeur et bon bras

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Moroccan knives/swords- HELP needed
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic