Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 73, 74, 75  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jan, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk,

Do you have any photos of the swords scabbard? I'd like to see it.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jan, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
... The most recent is my dream sword... a creative reconstruction by Patrick Barta of the Fetter Lane pommel and upper grip in the British Museum. It is a beautiful and deadly sword weighing in at just under 3 pounds. ....
Kirk, that is one of the most beautiful swords that I have ever seen! A hearty congratulations to you!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jan, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My most recent acquisition is the Eljay Erickson "Pinch of Snuff" basket hilted backsword, courtesy of our fellow forumite, Thomas McDonald. Here is a photo from one of Mac's myArmoury albums.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jan, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
In other words the handling does not have the same grace and agility as the form. However I would not want it otherwise. If you wanted to get the nice light agile feeling you could hollow out the inner plates of the guards simply by drilling holes through them and the pommel cap could also be hollow. Then the blade could be lightened with more profile and distal taper. That would give it that feeling we all expect. Weight between 2 and 2.5 pounds, CoG at about 5-6 inches out from the cross. But this is a period piece and it should have a period feeling to it. From what I have read Migration Era swords were not very light and agile.
I did handle get a chance to handle the Sutton Hoo sword owned by Paul Mortimer, but I was actually quite surprized at how light and agile that sword felt. It doesn't have the same balance as a later medieval sword, but to me it still felt quite light and agile, especially for such a large sword and without a heavy pommel to bring the cog further back.

Quote:
Such a weighty sword may be more welcome in the shield wall anyway. Seems like I read in one of the old Norse sagas about how all the young men were up front in the shield wall hacking away with their light well balanced swords and doing very little damage and so some of the "old timers" pulled them to the back and showed them how it was done with their heavy bladed swords.
Heh, well I guess there are situations where brute force is more desireable then speed and agility Wink I'd expect that migration period swords were a lot more effective at removing limbs etc. due to their further forward cog. The Sutton Hoo did feel like when it goes, it's not going to be stopped that easily:)
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jan, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Kirk,

Do you have any photos of the swords scabbard? I'd like to see it.

Hey Patrick...

No problem... The scabbard has a wood core covered in leather. The belt loop is wood with a bone veneer.

In my first post I had intended to say something about the color of the pattern welding and forgot Worried

I had read period literature that discribes the pattern welding as having color. Some thought it must have simply been referring to the difference in tone between the lighter and darker steel. However when I was at the Atlanta blade show there was a bladesmith that had random patterned damascus with each of the layers different colors of copper, gold, blue, browns, reds... It was really beautiful! I asked him how he did it and he said he etched with strong hydrochoric acid. And the hydrochloric acid did it naturally. Not sure if I believed him... but I thought I would give it a try some time. If it worked then maybe the bladesmiths of old etched with hydrochloric acid.

However, with this Barta sword, when the lightly oiled blade is in the sunlight the steel, especially the laminated edges, has very subtle flashes of color. I thought this might be the type of color the ancients were seeing in their sword blades.

ks

Attachment: 84.67 KB
FetterLaneScabbardMatrix.jpg

Attachment: 98.5 KB
FetterLanePatternWeldBlade.jpg

Attachment: 96.45 KB
FetterLanePatternWeldedTip.jpg

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Peter Dietl

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: New Katzbalger         Reply with quote

Finally I´ve got my new Katzbalger from Koca/Slowakia this weekend...and I still love it. Here are some photos:

Attachment: 114.79 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 116.86 KB
[ Download ]
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Katzbalger         Reply with quote

Peter Dietl wrote:
Finally I´ve got my new Katzbalger from Koca/Slowakia this weekend...and I still love it. Here are some photos:

Very nice! I like those katzbalger hilts, and yours looks especially nice. Congratulations.

- Sir Toby Belch
Kerim Mamedov

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My last is that Kyu Gunto, not hand crafted by a smith-master on a top of a mountain Happy
2WW massproduction one, but that Japan design... Whatewer it is, sword or spoon, it looks beautifully

Attachment: 35.59 KB
nco_7[1].jpg

Attachment: 90.03 KB
nco_8[1].jpg

M. Johnston

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

my most recent was a Darkwood 45" bated rapier blade which I hilted as a tuck for SCA heavy rapier... I'll try to get a photo sometime.
Nick B.

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Last sword         Reply with quote

My last sword was an Albion Vinland and my next one will be an Albion Huskarl with some improvements. Then I'll be looking at one of Rob Millers Damascus blade Viking swords. I'm building a wall display for them now complete with carved wood Dragon Heads. Will post pictures when done.
Brian Knight

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just received my Roman Spatha hand-forged by Joe at Lonely Mountain Forge. SWEET!!!
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My latest is a British Pattern 1821 Light Cavalry Officer's sword c.1840 that I purchased on my latest trip to the UK. The 35 inch blade has a nice yelman as can be found on some Middle Eastern swords.

Attachment: 85.31 KB
1821.3.JPG

Attachment: 63.65 KB
1821.10.JPG

Attachment: 40.98 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 48.35 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 48.6 KB
[ Download ]
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is my current order from MRL and I understand it is back ordered. I am looking forward to getting the "New Coustille" and see how it stacks up to my custom made daggers I own.
I'll let you know how these pieces look when they come in sometime in June.

PS. I'm new here and hope to enjoy the exchange. Idea
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:
This is my current order from MRL and I understand it is back ordered. I am looking forward to getting the "New Coustille" and see how it stacks up to my custom made daggers I own.
I'll let you know how these pieces look when they come in sometime in June.

PS. I'm new here and hope to enjoy the exchange. Idea

Gary,
Hello and welcome to myArmoury. Happy Those look nice. If you don't want to wait for MRL, Kult of Athena (www.kultofathena.com) has the sword in stock for a good price. The Type IV (which should be called Type XIV) is $189.95. They inspect items before shipment and are said to have great customer service.

I handled the Type IV [sic] and it's pretty nice for the price. I like the look of the new Coustile, too. Enjoy!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the Welcome!
I am looking forward to the shipment and MRL has always been good to me, so I guess I will stay with them for a bit.
I did receive an untempered blade once but did not notice it until two year later at the Texas Renfest and I slid on a wet, grassy hill and landed on the blade. It bent and stayed that way. Even after two years, MRL took it back, inspected it, gave me a summery of what they found and replace it without a problem.
I like that. Big Grin

I have a combo of custom swords and daggers I have made or had made for me, a couple of Del Tin blades and some MRL.
A small collection by your standards and very modest. But they are all mine. Big Grin
Micha Hofmann

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello and welcome from me too, Gary.

And don't worry. Every sword-addict starts out modest. But then... um... perhaps you should worry. Big Grin

Speaking of modesty: Here are my last two purchases: A Sword-Gur JS002 and my first Albion, a Talhoffer. Happy

Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Danke, Micha!

I'll try to post my custom Rondel and get every one's opinon on it.
Thanks for the welcome!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:
Thank you for the Welcome!
I am looking forward to the shipment and MRL has always been good to me, so I guess I will stay with them for a bit.
I did receive an untempered blade once but did not notice it until two year later at the Texas Renfest and I slid on a wet, grassy hill and landed on the blade. It bent and stayed that way. Even after two years, MRL took it back, inspected it, gave me a summery of what they found and replace it without a problem.
I like that. Big Grin

I have a combo of custom swords and daggers I have made or had made for me, a couple of Del Tin blades and some MRL.
A small collection by your standards and very modest. But they are all mine. Big Grin

Gary,
Isn't this a wonderfully expensive hobby? Cool MRL has always been good with taking stuff back. I had some things I sent back after two years or so because it wasn't as advertised.

I'd love to see your custom rondel dagger. You should start a new thread about it. Happy

My collection is always a work in progress. As you can see in the gallery, a good number of things have come and gone over the years. This thread has a new thing or two that hasn't made it into the gallery yet , too.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Wed 30 May, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well it seems that MRL has a small problem.
05/29/2007

Dear Gary Chelette,
Thank you for your recent order (XXXXXXX) placed on 05/02/2007 at MUSEUM REPLICAS CATALOG. Unfortunately, the following item is still on backorder from the manufacturer.
Item# Description Qty Price Expected

500972 OAKESHOTT TYPE IV 1 199.75 07/14/2007

I guess I'll heed your advice and try KoA on the sword. I have not seen the new Coustille anywhere else though.

I'll get my camera out and do a couple of shots on the Rondel.Nice little story on that. There were 4 made for our group and it was a lot of work involved because I'm no knife maker. But it came out nice. ny real history on the Rondel on how it was used and how many variations there may have been? Arrow
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Wed 30 May, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is my latest sword! (or a pic of another exactly the same).
Swordsman, Archer and Dad

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword
Page 11 of 75 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 73, 74, 75  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: