Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Crested helms (and associated kits) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Crested helms (and associated kits)         Reply with quote

Well, since it was suggested that we spin off a new thread, here it is. Has anyone else put together a crested helm?

Here's some info on mine:

One note-- I cheat like crazy on the authenticity front. Happy The assembly of this was pretty makeshift, pounding out most of the work on it this past Friday night in preparation for Saturday. So I don't have many good close-up shots of it, but I'll try to get some soon.

The dragon crest is a resin sculpture attached to a wooden base. Since I didn't want to permanently modify the helm itself, I have the crest attached with rare-earth magnets and rubber stand-offs. The mantle is linen, with a decorative-rope torse.

Here's a photo before adding the mantle and torse:

Does anyone else have a crested helm, or working on one? I'd love to see photos!

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook

Last edited by Ed Toton on Thu 29 May, 2008 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Crested helmets.....         Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

This is a sallet that I made a few years back. The brass 'acorn' has a plume holder in the centre, and of course the whole crest assembly is removable. It was inspired by pictures from the Beauchamp chronicles.

Regards,

Russ

Attachment: 99.39 KB
[ Download ]

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kudos to both of you.

Did you do the dragon or get it already made Ed? I am guessing that your kit is late Crusades correct? Post 1250 to around 1300 at the latest is my guess. What event did you wear this at?

Scott
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks great, Russ! I'm impressed. That's a gorgeous helmet you've got.

Scott, yes I was aiming for a late 13th C sort of look. I'm estimating probably around 1290, since the spaulders and crest probably push it a little later than the 1250 era, though this sort of great helm is probably appropriate for that entire half-century. The dragon is actually an inexpensive statue that I got on ebay, and is a more modern fantasy dragon, rather than a period heraldic dragon.

Here are some additional views of it with the ensemble, taken by some of my friends:

The event was the Virginia Renaissance Festival (http://varf.org/). We wanted to walk in and knock them dead with our new crests and accessories. Happy

-Ed T. Toton III
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am betting that you and your partner did knock them dead Ed. I love the dragon even though it is modern fantasy based and not medieval heraldric. I think the whole kit looks good and comes together nicely. I can also see why you had the grip and scabbard made in blue.

Do I spy mail chausses as well? Though I thought spaulders did not start appearing before early to mid 14th century I am probably wrong as I have only just really figured out what time frame I would like to portray with my kit. Though I am still really not sure what area.

I am also curious who made the armor pieces of the kit, particularly the mail.

Keep posting your pictures everyone.

Scott
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, glad you like the kit! You're right, I think, that the spaulders are actually more 14th C. I think I've fudged it a bit here. But I like them, so it's OK. Happy

Yes, those are indeed mail chauses! Here's where I cheated a bit as well-- all of the mail is aluminum butt rings. Not accurate, but at a distance no one knows. And I made it. A friend helped get the coif together while I was under a time constraint a number of years ago, but it's all my project. The chauses were a little easier, in that I ordered one of the "chainmail T-shirts" from ThinkGeek, and separated it out into rectangles to reconfigure into chauses. Much faster to work with sheets of mail. Making these things myself has allowed me to tailor them to my size and shape, and it's easy to make changes and repairs as I go.

-Ed T. Toton III
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed,
That is a great idea for the chausses. I will have to remember that. As long as the mail meets the "ten foot" rule that is all the better. I agree about adding armor pieces that I like to armor even though it might not be historically accurate. Who is to say it isn't since none of us lived then anywho. I am probably going to do the same with plate pieces so I can take them off if I want to change the look of my harness as it strikes my fancy. I just have to divert funds from other hobbies is all. Cry Wink
Nathan Gilleland

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's great to hear that some people have the same opinion as me pertaining to historical accuracy!

It seems to me that if you can narrow down an armour piece to within approximately 50 years of confirmed dates, I figure that it's historically "plausible". (Something that I hold to even more when taking a kit from, say the 13 C. and using weapons/armour from the 12 C. as you like. I wouldn't think that you would discard your family sword and drain your pocketbook just to purchase the latest fashion sword, though I'm sure this did happen.)

I'll have to get my armour kit together and take some pictures since I recently worked on it some more. (Actually I'm still working on the chainmaille tunic Razz )

Love the pictures of the kits! The dragon is awesome, and I really like the acorn on the sallet too! Any pictures of it with a plume?

Seek Honor before Wealth,
Truth before Honor,
God Before all
Sammy Jackson

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: my helmet         Reply with quote

hey guys i just got this new corinthian helmet. different from your time period but im gonna mount a normal greek crest with a pony tail on it.

im excited. gonna look good!!

Attachment: 77.16 KB
0517081913.jpg

sammy the man
Rod Walker

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

"Come! Let us lay a lance in rest,
And tilt at windmills under a wild sky!
For who would live so petty and unblessed
That dare not tilt at something, ere he die?"
--Errantry, John Galsworthy
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rod, that helmet is *fantastic*.
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Rod Walker

PostPosted: Fri 30 May, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Bill, a pic of the fan crest on the late 13thCkit that I very quickly put together for a show in late April. The gamboissed cuisses took the longest to make.

I enjoyed riding in this early period kit so much that I am going to finish it off properly.

Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

"Come! Let us lay a lance in rest,
And tilt at windmills under a wild sky!
For who would live so petty and unblessed
That dare not tilt at something, ere he die?"
--Errantry, John Galsworthy
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Fri 30 May, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm with Bill, that crested helm is absolutely wonderful! I'm jealous. Happy And I love the 13th C kit you put together.
-Ed T. Toton III
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 30 May, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam,
That is a great looking Corinthian helmet. As long as it is a period you are interested in then it is in period as far as I am concerned.

Rod,
You are one of the people whose I have seen and really drool over. I'm not sure which of the two I like better. The latter period one looks sweet but I love the late 13th century and that is the era that I plan on putting a kit together for someday.

Scott
Arne Koets

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ok i got this out of a skip and aim to replace it, but i think it works from a distance...

when it's not on the jaunty angle...

cheers,[/img]

Attachment: 56.3 KB
coolecrestportret.jpg

Attachment: 82.23 KB
knight runcharlie.jpg
i love this horse!

all resistance is futile
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What a great topic. This is not my era of interest, but those kits are awesome (innacuracies aside). I love the themes, that's got to be a lot of fun to put together.
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arne,

Is that the 'frogmouth' helm that Jeffrey Hedgecock made ?? It is certainly an impressive piece ! I do like gestech armour Happy It is not seen very often, but I love it just the same, though I am not sure that I would like to wear it in a joust though! Eek!
You have an impressive harness !!

Regards,

Russ

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Arne Koets

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thank you!
after 8,5 years of wearing £1000 cheb kit, i thought it time to replace it with something that actually looks the part, and will stand up to the abuse!

Wearing a froggie is very different, indeed, but i find it hard to choose which is best.
The helmet gives you VERY good vision when jousting. that is when your opponent rides as he should. I suppose your lance needs to be long enough too. But when i had to switch back temporarily i was surprised at the difference in vision.

It is also very nice when being hit: you don't feel it. falling off was also fine. (rearing horse).

the drawback is when riding inexperienced horses. Then i prefer a sallet and bevors. This give more flexebility to ride the horse properly, use your seat when needed, and so forth.

It is not a war helmet, and can get a bit stuffy in F100 heat, but generally...

You'd be surprised!
there is a reason why these were used as the foremost jousting helmet for about 100 years!

Otherwise it's still field armour, that's why i chose that style. I would've taken gothic, but it would have meant an entirely seperate armour for jousting.

there is a number of people starting to use these types of things now, be it gestech helms or grand bascinets and i'm hardly the first. Nevertheless, I'm quite happy with (up to)12mm of hardened and tempered carbon steel in front of my face!

all resistance is futile
Doug Strong

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is my crested great helm. It was made for my 1375 kit.

Attachment: 74.58 KB
[ Download ]

Dr. Douglas W. Strong
http://talbotsfineaccessories.com/
http://armourresearchsociety.org
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jun, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Doug Strong wrote:
Here is my crested great helm. It was made for my 1375 kit.

That's looks great-- I love the peacock feathers. I can't quite tell, is the crest made out of leather? That overall sort of winged or horned design seems to have been common in period, I believe.

-Ed T. Toton III

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Crested helms (and associated kits)
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: