Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
N Cioran

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And here's a standing shot showing the spola without my forage bag and canteen in the way Happy

Enjoy,
Cole

Attachment: 192.95 KB
[ Download ]
Bryan Johnson

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Churburg inspired kit at the Norman Renfest. Also the kits of some friends as well, two other transitional harnesses and one based on the Warwick Effigy.

Attachment: 62.33 KB
Churburg Harness.jpg

Attachment: 70.62 KB
Norman renfest.jpg

Bryan Johnson
Jessica Finley
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Wappenrock Reconstruction         Reply with quote

So, I only have a few photos of myself in this fabric armor, but I am working on getting a full kit up and running to go with this as a base. Now, to find someone making Kastenbrust in my size and price range. Happy

The photo is of me, and my good friend Jason Smith after the Feat of Arms at WMAW last weekend.

Attachment: 87.32 KB
304955_281237561905928_100000590581028_1052231_1785507852_n.jpg

Selohaar Fechtschule, Free Scholar
http://www.selohaar.org/fechtschule

Fühlen Designs, Owner/Designer/Seamstress
http://fuhlendesigns.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
N Cioran

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan,

I'm interested in your helmet... the styles not clear from the picture... Do you have a close up? Also, who made it?

Thanks
Cole
Bryan Johnson

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cole

It's a high point bascinet with a clap visor. The occularia is not strictly period, its a little larger. It was made by Anshelm Arms.

Regards

Bryan

Attachment: 110.81 KB
Bascinet.jpg

Bryan Johnson
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wappenrock Reconstruction         Reply with quote

Jessica Finley wrote:
So, I only have a few photos of myself in this fabric armor, but I am working on getting a full kit up and running to go with this as a base. Now, to find someone making Kastenbrust in my size and price range. Happy

The photo is of me, and my good friend Jason Smith after the Feat of Arms at WMAW last weekend.

Nice, Jessica: Am I right to assume that you made the fabric armour ?

Jason sure looks broad in shoulder and would have been scary in period. Wink Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

N Cioran wrote:
And here's a standing shot showing the spola without my forage bag and canteen in the way Happy

Enjoy,
Cole

Very nice kit and armour coverage was probably very good with the huge shield but I see that the thigh above the knee not protected by the shield would be a good target and somewhat vulnerable.

Greaves would protect the lower leg in many cases but the upper left leg is more vulnerable as it would tend to be closer and easier to hit than the lower leg .... at least with a short sword in close combat.

William P

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
N Cioran wrote:

Enjoy,
Cole

Very nice kit and armour coverage was probably very good with the huge shield but I see that the thigh above the knee not protected by the shield would be a good target and somewhat vulnerable.

Greaves would protect the lower leg in many cases but the upper left leg is more vulnerable as it would tend to be closer and easier to hit than the lower leg .... at least with a short sword in close combat.

by the classical period it was common to also tack a leather apron to the base of the aspis to stop arrow shots which it does admirably ive heard.
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Wappenrock Reconstruction         Reply with quote

Jessica Finley wrote:

You don't know me, but I've looked at your Facebook pictures a time or two. While it's not my cup of tea, I'm impressed with how well that came out. I saw the picture of the original, then your color scheme on the WIP, and thought for sure it would look rather dorky. Clearly I was wrong.

After seeing your other pictures, I shouldn't have doubted you. Wink

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

I'm going to let Ms. (Mrs?) Finley do the honors of giving you the details, but yes, she did it herself. Furthermore, it is the spitting image of a surviving 15th century jack.

"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling
Jessica Finley
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Jean -
Thank you, and yes, I did make the Jack/Wappenrock. It was a really fun project!

Colt -
Thanks! I am glad that you don't think it's "Dorky" now that it's all done. Big Grin Oh, and yes, Mrs. is correct, but most people here just call me "Jess" or "JessFinley" and that's cool too.

In the interest of intellectual honesty, here are the things I changed from the original:
- The original wasn't two-toned, but rather was made of a single color, then had paint applied to the back in a very light coat. The paint was deliberately (it seems) applied in such a way so that the seamlines weren't painted, making them stand out even more. I chose to use two colors of linen, as I wasn't sure about the painting process and really didn't want to mess up this thing at that last moment.
- The original had a "faux fur" trimming on the bottom made from two layers of extremely coarse and fluffly wool fabric stitched down to a linen base, then shredded somewhat to make it resemble actual fur. I tried to do this, but as I couldn't get the right type of wool fabric, no matter what I tried, it still didn't look right. I did have, however, a sheepskin that had been laying around for 10 years waiting on a project, so I cut that, applied it to the linen base, and the look is much closer to the original than what I got using fabric.
- I used a machine to create the channels, though all edging, finish work and quilting was done by hand. It was an 80-hour project even using the machine. That time would have likely doubled had I done it all by hand.

Things I got right:
- The original was four layers of linen, sewn in channels (in most places) then stuffed with cotton. I, too, used this method of construction.
- Each channel was stuffed to a degree that it's basically inflexible. I ended up with a little over 5 lbs of cotton in this garment. Roland Warzecha (who handled the original) described it as feeling like an "old dried out sponge" in stiffness. This is why, incidentally, the channels run in the directions they do. Think of it as "medieval bubble wrap for your body".

Ok, well, enough about that project. I just find there are so few people in my day-to-day life that are interested in this sort of thing that I don't get to talk about it frequently!!!!

Happy

Jess

Selohaar Fechtschule, Free Scholar
http://www.selohaar.org/fechtschule

Fühlen Designs, Owner/Designer/Seamstress
http://fuhlendesigns.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bryan Johnson

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jessica

I will add my compliments. That's a very nice piece.

Regards

Bryan

Bryan Johnson
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jessica Finley wrote:
Things I got right:
- The original was four layers of linen, sewn in channels (in most places) then stuffed with cotton. I, too, used this method of construction.
- Each channel was stuffed to a degree that it's basically inflexible. I ended up with a little over 5 lbs of cotton in this garment. Roland Warzecha (who handled the original) described it as feeling like an "old dried out sponge" in stiffness. This is why, incidentally, the channels run in the directions they do. Think of it as "medieval bubble wrap for your body".

I just wanted to add that I've gotten to see this wappenrock in person (and bout with Jess while she is wearing it), and not only does it look like the original, but it truly is armor. The pics don't portray how stiff it is. It could certainly turn away a sharpened sword blade that wasn't perfectly landed (and even quite a few blows from some swords that were perfectly landed). It's a very cool example of what textile armor is supposed to be.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jason G. Smith

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wappenrock Reconstruction         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Jessica Finley wrote:

Jason sure looks broad in shoulder and would have been scary in period. Wink Big Grin Cool

Nevermind period - people think I'm scary now! Wink I figure I top out around 300 lbs. in my kit, although I haven't gotten on a scale to prove it (not that it's really something to brag about, mind you!). Happy That's one of my favourite photos, ever. And while I admit I thought the wappenrock was funky at first, given the fur and all, it is a formidable piece of sewing and of textile armour technology. And it grows on you! Anyone interested in anything remotely like it should definitely drop Jess a line.

Best,

Les Maîtres d'Armes
Member of the
Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

... above all, you should feel in your conscience that your quarrel is good and just. - Le Jeu de la Hache
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jess,

your jack looks very good, very much like the surviving ones at Stendal and Lübeck. I am envious for your sewing-skills... Happy

Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wappenrock Reconstruction         Reply with quote

Jason G. Smith wrote:
[
Nevermind period - people think I'm scary now! Wink I figure I top out around 300 lbs. in my kit, although I haven't gotten on a scale to prove it (not that it's really something to brag about, mind you!). Happy

Yes scary NOW. Big Grin

Yeah, wore most of my plate armour and the scale wouldn't work past the 300 lbs mark .....
Yeah, I could lose 50 pounds of " not muscle " myself. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud Cool

I've posted this pic before many pages back on this Topic, but here it is again. Wink

Attachment: 177.05 KB
[ Download ]

D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gert-Jan Beukers wrote:
this is my new outfit :

This is an outstanding shot!

New guy here, (first post actually), but I'm having a great time reading through these threads and checking out the pictures. I did a bit of WWII reenacting and I was impressed at how they were all sticklers on accuracy. The stained and soiled look in this picture is exactly the kind of look I am impressed by. I like outfits that appear to be lived in, not simply collected and displayed. Well done.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. S. Smith wrote:

New guy here, (first post actually), but I'm having a great time reading through these threads and checking out the pictures. I did a bit of WWII reenacting and I was impressed at how they were all sticklers on accuracy. The stained and soiled look in this picture is exactly the kind of look I am impressed by. I like outfits that appear to be lived in, not simply collected and displayed. Well done.

Oh, just an unofficial welcome to the site and I suggest you also explore the feature articles, reviews, etc .... as there is a lot of content on this site in addition to the Forums.

Also, do searches on the Forums for any arms and armour Topics you might be interested in as there may already be many older Topics threads you might find interesting.

Just randomly going to one of the long passed pages and looking at Topic titles might be productive. Wink

Oh, Spotlights Topics are a good thing to have a look at first.

D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Oh, just an unofficial welcome to the site and I suggest you also explore the feature articles, reviews, etc .... as there is a lot of content on this site in addition to the Forums.

Also, do searches on the Forums for any arms and armour Topics you might be interested in as there may already be many older Topics threads you might find interesting.

Just randomly going to one of the long passed pages and looking at Topic titles might be productive. Wink

Thanks for the welcome Jean, I'll definitely check out the Spotlight Topics. I've already spent a lot of time reading the reviews. I'm in the process of deciding what my first sword will be and the review section has been invaluable. I've narrowed it down to just a few and I'm hoping to see one or more in person to help with my decision. Happy
William P

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. S. Smith wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Thanks for the welcome Jean, I'll definitely check out the Spotlight Topics. I've already spent a lot of time reading the reviews. I'm in the process of deciding what my first sword will be and the review section has been invaluable. I've narrowed it down to just a few and I'm hoping to see one or more in person to help with my decision. Happy

one benefit of this site as well is that threads are NVER closed down unless theyve degenerated into massive squabbles,
other forums ive beenon close a thread if it doesnt recieve enough traffic qickly enough, in this thread i could comment and revive a topic that is a year old or even older). and you (ususally) wont recieve any ire for doing so theres a huge weath of info here, and having an international memberlist means the information can extend to renactment groups all across the globe/
Christian G. Cameron

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Greek Kit 490BCE         Reply with quote

My 490 BCE Greek harness. Helmet is by Joe Piela, raised form one piece, and fits perfectly--has to be slightly deformed to get on my head, and then stayes... greaves by Aurora Simmons of Toronto. Also perfect fit--I ran the hoplitodromos in them. Scale thorax by me. (Beams with pride). Repousse by me, as well. Aspis by me... four layers of ash splits with a bulls hide and bronze cover.

And finally--the battle line at Marathon, 4 weeks ago...

You can just see me at the right end of the line. We're 4 deep! The chap in the superb attic helmet with his cheek flaps up is Craig Sitch of Manning Imperial...

Christian G. Cameron

Qui plus fait, miex vault

www.hippeis.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 58 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: