Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quinn, there are a number of English and Flemish effigies that show the dual strap on the plackart. Fitzherbert for example in Norbury church. I could have sworn Beauchamp's did as well but I looked it up this morning and it doesn't (but maybe I have it mixed up and there is an example in the Beauchamp chronicles of said strapping). Having said that I don't know that I can show an example prior to 1470 though........ and I love my great basinet! tr
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's an updated photograph of my kit. I've made several improvements since I posted many, many pages ago. Obviously I have a long way to go, but it's the journey that's important not the destination. Wink I'll post some photos of kit in action once the weather cooperates in Minnesota. Standing on an armour rack in the basement is not where a kit wants to be. Happy

Attachment: 108.43 KB
IMAGE_039copy.jpg

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Josh Warren

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom R. wrote:
Quinn, there are a number of English and Flemish effigies that show the dual strap on the plackart. Fitzherbert for example in Norbury church.

I respectfully submit that what you're interpreting as a "dual strap plackart" on the Fitzherbert effigy is, in fact, his livery collar, as explained here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livery_collar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neck_order
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Fitzherbert

An older thread here on myArmoury.com features a close-up photo of this effigy, in which it is very apparent that this is the insignia of some sort of order.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8147

Can you produce some other evidence for the dual-strap arrangement?

Non Concedo
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No at the moment but I can tell you why we do it ( its our plackard shown ). So it will stay put. A plackard with faulds and tassets weight a fair bit more than one without, and a simple waist belt was insufficient to keep it in place. Way back when we designed it closer to ten years ago than not I found several period artistic reference to it. Cross strapping was common on stand alone breast plates, is it really that odd to concieve of a plackard with faulds and tassets using the same system?
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something just dawned on me, it may perhaps have been thought by some that Thom's set up is something its not. It is not a two piece breast plate but a seperate plackard, and a seperate breast plate, thus rather than a single center buckle on the plackard and a belt at the neck line of the top half of the breast plate there is the cross straps of the plackard as it is strapped for wear as a stand alone piece of armour and is strapped over a breast plate. This may have led to some confusion on my part as well as I think I initial misundertood what Quin and Josh were asking, and i'm not sure they knew what they were looking at in Thom's pic, so ignor my previous post its deals with the strapping of the plackard as a stand alone piece of gear.
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While a bit off the subject of this thread, I was just struck by how much something simple, like a period haircut makes such a huge difference in the appearence of the kit. In a post on the previous page, one fellow in soft kit has his hair cut short which stricks me as being fairly authentic and practical at a time when, er, lice and such were common and carriers of such diseases as Typhus, etc. At any rate, something that mundane just makes everything look better.
"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Dan R

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda wrote:
Here's an updated photograph of my kit. I've made several improvements since I posted many, many pages ago. Obviously I have a long way to go, but it's the journey that's important not the destination. Wink I'll post some photos of kit in action once the weather cooperates in Minnesota. Standing on an armour rack in the basement is not where a kit wants to be. Happy

Just curious, who made the finger mitten gauntlets for your kit? They don't look like Anshelm arms.
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan R wrote:
Just curious, who made the finger mitten gauntlets for your kit? They don't look like Anshelm arms.

You have a good eye Dan. They are the result of a guy who owns a well worn copy of TOMAR and spent way to many hours staring at Anshelm's and Mad Matt's web pages. I'm feeling more confident with each pair of gauntlets I make (this was my third). Next up is a pair of historically accurate hourglass gauntlets. The pattern is set and I'm shaping steel. Happy

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Dan R

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda wrote:

I'm feeling more confident with each pair of gauntlets I make (this was my third). Next up is a pair of historically accurate hourglass gauntlets. The pattern is set and I'm shaping steel. Happy

Nice work Scott, I have a pair of Anshelms hourglass gauntlets and have recently been looking at a pair of Mad Matts in spring steel. I thought these may have been a pair of Matt's Big Grin
J. E. Hyväri

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert A wrote:
Cool kit! The stuff you made looks nice!
The COP is great too - are Steelmastery good to work with? I'm thinking of getting some stuff from them.

Thank you for your support and to Jean Thibodeau also. I have to say, this forum seems to have a wery good spirit about it and there are so many absolutely superb armour and soft kits on this thread.

Steel Mastery seems to be a reliable suplier. Their reproductions are somewhat on the large end of the scale, so to speak. Within my understanding most surviving armourpieces from medieval times were made of quite thin plates, and elongated form is representative of the general lines not only in the surviving pieces but also in the period art. In that comparisson the Steel Mastery armour seems a bit bulky. Othervise I have no complaints of their craftmanship. I think one of the reasons for the quite massive forms of their armourpieces is that they produce much stuff to the SCA fighters and the East-European re-enactors, who have either rules about the thickness of plates or/and expect to wear rather much padding inside the armour to withstand blunt trauma.

To the question of what kind of hair is appropriate to medieval kit, I must applaud anyone who has their hair done according to what century they are representing. In my opinion hair length seems to be wery much a question of fashion through the middle ages. Long hair was fashionable in the 13th century Germany as one can see in Codex Manesse: http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/cpg848
However, in the turning point of 14th to 15th century shorter hair is fashionable as seen from the Riches Heures of duc de Berry:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:Les_Tr%C...anvier.jpg

Not to fall completely out of topic, here is my viking age/crusade period finnish tribal warrior kit. I am the one with snakes on a red shield.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ihmis-suski/3325...748813952/

The typical finnish free peasant warrior of that age, would not have much armour that we know of. A couple of woollen skirts, a furhat and the wooden shield would be ample protection. This shield has a metal boss, but I also have one with a wooden boss. Of course the most important is missing - spears are not in the picture. The sword was forged by yours truly, and it is an interpretation of the Suontaka find with a rare bronze handle. There are a lot of swordfinds from Finland, but I chose to make this one, because of the intriguing story.

"Let's face it. This isn't the worst thing you've caught me doing..." Tony Stark
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sorry, what I meant was that the strapping of the plackard was unfamiliar to me, where the straps come from the top of the plackard and go over either side of the neck to form a "v" shape. The examples I have seen are usually just a single strap, like on this Milanese example here:
http://www.wassonartistry.com/images/armor/milanese/dscf2944.jpg
But perhaps, like Allan mentioned, I am confusing the two-piece breastplate with the single breastplate plus a plackard.

"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
A.V. Dolan

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is my 100 Years War kit. The armor is from Steel Mastery.

Attachment: 35.55 KB
Harness.JPG

Attachment: 162.96 KB
[ Download ]

Vincit qui se vincit
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

18th century

Christian G. Cameron

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Commanding the Army of Canada, 2010

With my daughter, Bea

That last is on day four of an eight day trek in the Adirondacks. No dry cleaning, and it's interesting to know how dirty we are--and how little the camera shows of it. Make the kit right....

Christian G. Cameron

Qui plus fait, miex vault

www.hippeis.com
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
18th century

So how many kits do you have. Wink Eek! Razz Cool

I'm afraid to ask: Do you have a STARWARS STORM TROOPER kit Question

Nice kit( S ) by the way. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian G. Cameron wrote:

That last is on day four of an eight day trek in the Adirondacks. No dry cleaning, and it's interesting to know how dirty we are--and how little the camera shows of it. Make the kit right....

Looks like perfect casting for a period film. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bram van Diemen

PostPosted: Fri 11 Mar, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some pictures taken from my kit of a performance during the Rotterdam museumnight. Though part of the kit is borrowed.

Don't take notice of the tierap on the left shoulder. One of the points broke.

Quinn W.

PostPosted: Fri 11 Mar, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask or joke about this by any means, but did you try jousting?
"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
Bram van Diemen

PostPosted: Fri 11 Mar, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Indeed, you are not the first, nor will you be the last ;-). And no, I haven't tried jousting on them. They were rentals.
Jos Baars

PostPosted: Fri 11 Mar, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To bad I missed that.. Never knew that the Museumnight was such a happening in Rotterdam!

Great pics! Next time on a segway though, you should try jousting. And attaching spikes to the wheels!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 48 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: