Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Wanted, info on this XIII Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jun, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Wanted, info on this XIII         Reply with quote

I'm looking for any info on this XIII from the Tower of London. I know it is featured in SAOC and as one of the various unclassifieds at the back of Records, but I don't seem to be able to find any measurements or color pictures of it.
Oakeshott mentioned that it has a latten pommel. If anyone could confirm this (especially with a clear color picture) I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance,
Dan

Attachment: 21.03 KB
TowerXIII.JPG

Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jun, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just trying to keep this visible.....I've sent a request for information to the RA....but haven't received any reply yet. Does anyone live near the tower armories and know if it is on display? Also, if anyone knows of any publications that it is featured in (besides Oakeshott and Viking Hersir) I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Dan
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Dickinson wrote:
Just trying to keep this visible.....I've sent a request for information to the RA....but haven't received any reply yet. Does anyone live near the tower armories and know if it is on display? Also, if anyone knows of any publications that it is featured in (besides Oakeshott and Viking Hersir) I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Dan

When I was at the Tower a few years ago I dont' remember anything that old. In the mid 90s (?) much of the stuff in the Tower moved to the Royal Armouries. So it's probably at Leeds rather than the white tower.

I haven't been able to find ay info you don't already have. It was in the collection of James Mann and was given on loan to the Tower. If it's still on loan it's probably at Leeds. It's not published in the book Swords and Daggers from the Tower of London nor in the book Treasures from the Tower of London.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Chad, I also was disappointed to find that it wasn't in those books when i looked through them. I had also wondered if it had been moved from the Tower as I don't remember seeing it there on my visit a few years ago (though there wasn't much medieval stuff period)....so you are probably right about it being in Leeds. However, since it was on loan....perhaps it was returned.....does anyone know what happened to the late Mr. Mann's collection?
Thanks,
Dan
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jul, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, browsing through Flickr today I think I found it (it's on the right behind the baselard) and it is in Leeds.
Does anyone recognize this display and/or live near Leeds and could take some better pics?
Thanks,
Dan

http://flickr.com/photos/8765199@N07/22843643...954743752/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jul, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Dickinson wrote:
Well, browsing through Flickr today I think I found it (it's on the right behind the baselard) and it is in Leeds.
Does anyone recognize this display and/or live near Leeds and could take some better pics?
Thanks,
Dan

http://flickr.com/photos/8765199@N07/22843643...954743752/

Here's the Royal Armouries' policy on photos:

Quote:
The use of cameras (still and video) is permitted within the Galleries, providing the images are solely for personal/private use.
Images are not to be used in any commercial endeavour.
Images uploaded onto personal webpages may be allowed provided that the Royal Armouries museum is acknowledged.

Happy

ChadA

Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jul, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So someone shouldn't have problems taking photos of it then, correct?
Thanks,
Dan
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jul, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Dickinson wrote:
So someone shouldn't have problems taking photos of it then, correct?
Thanks,
Dan

Taking photos of it, no. Posting them on this website may be a different story.

Happy

ChadA

Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jul, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The question then is if this is considered a personal website. However, in order to not violate the RA's rules, if someone is kind enough to take photos, please PM me .
Thanks,
Dan
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jul, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad, would you be able to please check your Park Lane Arms Fair catalogues for the article
"The Medieval Swords of Leeds Castle", by Clive Thomas on pp 10-29 of the 2005 volume to see if it might give any information ?
I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Dan
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Dickinson wrote:
Chad, would you be able to please check your Park Lane Arms Fair catalogues for the article
"The Medieval Swords of Leeds Castle", by Clive Thomas on pp 10-29 of the 2005 volume to see if it might give any information ?
Thanks,
Dan

The Park Lane catalogues I have are from 2000 and 2001. Also, Leeds Castle is not the same as the Leeds where the Royal Armouries are. Leeds Castle is in Kent, southeast of London. The Royal Armouries is in Leeds (in York?) NW of London and much farther away from London. I only know that because I almost made that travel mistake when visiting London a few years back. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Woops, there goes that idea.....kinda sounds like my mistake of taking the wrong train line to Versailles....which ended up in the village...not the palace....and since the lines didn't connect I had to backtrack and hour and a half.
Thanks for clarifying that Chad,
Dan
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry I couldn't help more. Sad It does look like the pommel in the flickr picture is not iron/steel; it's different in color/patina than the iron stuff around it. It could be gilt or just plain bronze/latten. I would guess bronze/latten since Oakeshott didn't mention gilding.
Happy

ChadA

Colin F.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Dan Dickinson wrote:
Thanks,
Dan

The Park Lane catalogues I have are from 2000 and 2001. Also, Leeds Castle is not the same as the Leeds where the Royal Armouries are. Leeds Castle is in Kent, southeast of London. The Royal Armouries is in Leeds (in York?) NW of London and much farther away from London. I only know that because I almost made that travel mistake when visiting London a few years back. Happy

In Yorkshire Big Grin York is about 45 minutes east north east of Leeds by car, which in UK terms, is miles away... Wink

Melchett - "In short, a German spy is giving away every one of our battle plans."
Cpt. Darling - "You look surprised, Blackadder."
Edmund - "I cerainly am, sir. I didn't realise we had any battle plans."
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colin F. wrote:
In Yorkshire Big Grin York is about 45 minutes east north east of Leeds by car, which in UK terms, is miles away... Wink

Thanks for the correction. Happy I remember the Yorkshire Leeds to be a 3-4 hour train ride from London, where the Kents Leeds was much closer.

Happy

ChadA

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Wanted, info on this XIII
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic