Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arabian Silver Saif, 18th/ 19th Century Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Arabian Silver Saif, 18th/ 19th Century         Reply with quote

Above is an Arabian Silver Saif from either the 18th or 19th Century and here are the details: Extremely long single-edged curved blade with three fullers. The hilt is in characteristic Indo-Persian Shamshir fashion with bone grip-scales retained by three silver rivets and enclosed by silver straps, solid silver cross-guard with short languets and long quillons of square section and knob finials while the silver pommel decorated in traditional manner connected by a double silver chain with the crossguard. The massive silver scabbard with wooden inserts is engraved with floral motifs and applied with two large mounts with loops for suspension. Condition: the sword is in very good condition except for one minor dents in the silver scabbard. Measurements: total length with the scabbard: 95cm (37 3/8 inches), the length without scabbard: 92 cm (36 1/4 inches), length of the blade approximately: 79.5cm (31 1/4 inches).
Dan P

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So I guess the primary function of that blade isn't the thrust. But the length suggests its a cavalry weapon. And the blade isn't really curved like other sabers made primarily for slashing.
Plus there is no guard for defending at very close quarters if someone with a shorter weapon gets past that blade.

To me it looks like the world's largest and most expensive butter knife. Is it a dress sword or did someone actually intend to fight with it?
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Arabian Silver Saif, 18th/ 19th Century         Reply with quote

Dan, to me the saif's blade is actually slightly curved. This one has a nearly straight blade and is a combat sword, not a dress sword I think.
And here's a detail of its blade as well its scabbard.
Jim McDougall

PostPosted: Sat 17 May, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This type of Arabian sa'if is discussed by Robert Elgood in his "The Arms and Armour of Arabia" (London, 1994, p.14-15) and these Persian type hilts, but particularly the blade, is probably early to mid 20th century. The blade form with very slight curve and with the European cavalry 'hatchet' type point is essentially taken from 19th century form light cavalry blades, which remained in favor in India into the 20th century. Since many of these Arab swords were actually made in India for the Arab market, it would seem that the style would have been well in place.
One of these type blades is pictured in fig. 2.11, but it is interesting that the scabbard has the usual Arab 'baldric' style carrying rings (one at each side of the scabbard opposed) rather than double rings in line.

The double rings on this one would support the 20th century attribution?
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Arabian Silver Saif, 18th/ 19th Century         Reply with quote

Well Jim,
I am not quite sure about the double rings on the saif's scabbard whether it would support 20th-century attributions or not.
Jim McDougall

PostPosted: Wed 21 May, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Arabian Silver Saif, 18th/ 19th Century         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
Well Jim,
I am not quite sure about the double rings on the saif's scabbard whether it would support 20th-century attributions or not.

You're right Shahril, I suppose it would depend a lot on where the sword was furbished. The Arabian examples in Elgood shown c.1911 that have similarities similar, especially in blade shape, typically have the favored baldric type carrying rings.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Arabian Silver Saif, 18th/ 19th Century         Reply with quote

Jim,
I have a question - Where is Elgood situated?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arabian Silver Saif, 18th/ 19th Century
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic