Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Which Albion? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Which Albion?         Reply with quote

Hello lads and lasses...

Here's another question for you! I need some help in making a purchase from Albion.

I recently had a series of financial troubles clear up, and I even have some money left over to play with. I have a $290 credit at Albion that I'd like to direct towards something nice. Yes, the credit is burning a hole in my pocket Wink

1. I've been looking at a Crecy for some time but have not yet taken the plunge. This is one of my options. The Crecy Mk 2 looks like it has everything that made the Mk 1 great and some better quality. The Mark 1's are no longer available, at least through Albion, so this would be a Mark 2.

2. I've also been considering a Del Tin, but it is not in stock at Albion and they will probably not get it until the fall of this year. This one Del Tin appeals to me for various reasons, and would replace a cheapie Pakistani copy currently in my collection.

3. Finally, there are some Samson swords that I REALLY like, but of course they're a lot of money. This is my least favorite option simply because I'd have to shell out a lot of money beyond my credit, and I'm still trying to save up my money.

Last edited by Timothy Gulics on Sat 27 Mar, 2004 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Original Crecy is an excellent sword, looks good and feels right. Any of the First Generation swords are affordable for their quality. I would probably have bought one of each of them if I had gotten more serious about collecting before the announcement of the Next Generation line. I stopped with the Hastings, Crecy, and Gaddhjalt as soon as I saw the announcement of the Next Gens.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a Del Tin that is not in stock. Last one I bought took a year to arrive at Albion - it was expected last October and arrived just last month instead. They are good swords, but you must have endless patience to be happy with that sort of delay on something you have paid for already. I had no money down on my Del Tin, and it was still frustrating to wait so long.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I say get the Crecy MKII so we can get a good review of it and some more photos! Big Grin

Last I check (admittedly a long time ago) on Del Tin wait it was near a year. So check before deciding.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Put that $290 toward a Next Gen. I own two (Gaddhjalt and Baron) so far with a third (Knight) on the way. I highly recommend them.
As for the cost being an issue, $10 more ($300 total) gets you a paid reservation for most NGs. I'm sure Albion would be flexible in setting up a payment plan for the remainder. Put some spare cash away every week -- you'll be surprised what you have in a couple of months. And you'll probably have your sword paid for before a DT would get there.

Cheers,
Brian M
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

But there are soooo many NextGens that I want.....

The Baron looks like the biggest NextGen in the lineup, in terms of blade length and grip length. A nice two-hander to be sure. Hmm.

Well, I guess my choices are then...

1. Crecy Mk II

2. A NextGen Baron

3. A Jody Samson sword

I of course lean towards the Crecy because it is the least expensive, and it has recently been 'upgraded' to bring it more in line with the NextGens. But that Baron is growing on me...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also feel this way, re: liking many of the next gens so I really looked at where I want my collection to go and just started at the begining, in time that is, as I know that I will get more over time- or maybe have some historical examples made custom for me. This lovely hobby need no anxiety associated with it Happy
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When it comes to the next gens I see it like this. I think the baron and the duke are the best models to start with if you are not looking for a specific type. They have the size and the classic shape and unlike the crecy they are designed ground up by PJ. Keep in mind that a scabbard will cost an extra $225. I think Albions scabbards are a little on the expensive side. For the craftsmanship they are probably well worth it but 225 dollars extra per blade adds up.
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You don't have to buy a scabbard right away -- several third parties can make you one when you get the money.
One maxim I leared from gun collecting, is "Buy the best gun you can possibly afford." Yes, you will have to delay gratification a little and save some more money. But down the road when you add pieces to your collection, you will truly appreciate owning fewer, better swords rather than many average swords.

Brian M
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While I love scabbards, I will not be purchasing one with this sword. I do not have a use for the scabbard at this time. So that's out of the way.

And I agree about buying the best you can at the time (within reason). The difficulty here is that all the Albion swords are undeniably high quality and any purchase would be a good investment. The Baron gets points for being one of the NextGens for its construction and the historical side of things as well.

Decisions decisions.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I still say the Crecy so we can get an independant review post changes! Big Grin
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe will be pleased to know that I opted to go with the Crecy Mk 2. Standard fittings, sharpened, light-brown grip... the same setup you see on Albion's site, really.

The Baron was tempting, and if I were able to get the Baron sooner than the Crecy I would have done it... but both had a 2-3 week delay before shipping. So I opted to narrow it down due to price, and the Crecy won Wink

I do not have a Crecy Mk 1 to compare to, but I will post a review of the Mk 2 when I get it Happy This is gonna be it for a while as far as purchases... I wanted to use up my Albion credit, and now that's gone.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good choice I say! Big Grin

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Which Albion?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic