Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Breastplate gussets Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jason G. Smith

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Breastplate gussets         Reply with quote

How early did breastplate gussets appear? I know they were present in the late 15th century, but the idea seems to have been conceived quite a bit earlier - indeed, the Churburg 13 breastplate is built on just such a premise, with the lateral plates articulating on leathers and giving better movement and coverage.

The reason I ask is I've got a BP that is too wide (pinches) and I would cut it down and add gussets on leathers to increase coverage without sacrificing mobility for late 14th century use. The whole thing'll be covered in velvet, to pretty it up. Any thoughts on the likelihood of this arrangement?

Thanks, as always.

Jason

Les Maîtres d'Armes
Member of the
Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

... above all, you should feel in your conscience that your quarrel is good and just. - Le Jeu de la Hache
Robert MacPherson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason,

Show us a picture of what the breastplate looks like on you.

In my experience, most breasts which are thought to be too wide, are really just fitting too closely at the upper chest.

Here is my way of measuring how wide a person's breastplate should be-
hold your arms straight forward in front of you-
cross your forearms , one on top of the other, so that your elbows line up with your knuckles-
have someone measure the distance between your upper arms, close to your chest-

The resulting measurement is the width of a rigid breastplate. If it were to be a breast with gussets, this would be the width, with the gussets compressed.

Mac
Jason G. Smith

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert MacPherson wrote:
Jason,

Show us a picture of what the breastplate looks like on you.

In my experience, most breasts which are thought to be too wide, are really just fitting too closely at the upper chest.

Mac

Thank you so much for your reply, but... oops. I cut it down already. Sad That being said, after I wore it for the first time, I had some really awesome bruises for a week - and I hadn't even taken a shot!

By "fitting too close" do you mean not dished enough to clear the muscles? Or am I just not getting your gist? Sorry, I'm kinda thick. Happy

Les Maîtres d'Armes
Member of the

... above all, you should feel in your conscience that your quarrel is good and just. - Le Jeu de la Hache
Robert MacPherson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason,

The usual problem is that the breastplate is dished too much, especially in the upper part. This makes it bear against your chest along its edges, preventing free play of your arms.

Cutting the breastplate narrower sometimes alleviates the problem, but more often than not it simply moves the bruises closer together. If you find that to be the case, try putting some padding in the breast, just under the neck opening. This will move the arm hole edges out of contact with your chest.

If I can be of further assistance to you do not hesitate to ask.

Mac
Jason G. Smith

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jul, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I understand! Thank you so much for your help, and to Allen Senefelder as well who PM'd me with a few tips.

It really is a fine art...

Regards,
Jason

Les Maîtres d'Armes
Member of the

Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jul, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Breastplate gussets         Reply with quote

Jason G. Smith wrote:
How early did breastplate gussets appear? I know they were present in the late 15th century, but the idea seems to have been conceived quite a bit earlier - indeed, the Churburg 13 breastplate is built on just such a premise, with the lateral plates articulating on leathers and giving better movement and coverage.

Hi Jason,

In answer to the original part of your question, the earliest movable gussets, extant , are on an armour in the KHM. Vienna, that was made by Hans Prunner of Innsbruck for Philip the Handsome in ca. 1488.

Regards,

Russ

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Jason G. Smith

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jul, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Breastplate gussets         Reply with quote

Russ Thomas wrote:

Hi Jason,

In answer to the original part of your question, the earliest movable gussets, extant , are on an armour in the KHM. Vienna, that was made by Hans Prunner of Innsbruck for Philip the Handsome in ca. 1488.

Regards,

Russ

Wow - quite alot later than 1380-ish. Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.

Regards,
Jason

Les Maîtres d'Armes
Member of the

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Breastplate gussets
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic