Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > french sword pattern Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jul, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: french sword pattern         Reply with quote

hello,

i would like to know if someone can post a list of the various french army pattern sword of the post napoleonic
period. thanks for help
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jul, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: french sword pattern         Reply with quote

Hi Gabriele,

Gabriele Becattini wrote:
i would like to know if someone can post a list of the various french army pattern sword of the post napoleonic
period. thanks for help

I have such a list in one of my books, I even have plates for each of the sword and saber listed... However the list in question is quite long (I count 45 weapons, sabers and swords). And using words I don't really know how to translate in proper English Worried

Perhaps you could narrow down your request a bit, it would be a less tedious work for me Wink

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jul, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Vincent,

i was interested principally in having a short list ( but for sure if you have some pics they are welcome)
of infantry, cavalry and artillery officer, but if you have also enlisted man , sword pattern starting from the second empire period till the first world war. thank you very much for help.
gabriele
Vincent Le Chevalier

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jul, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you can read some French, maybe I can take pictures of the pages that give the list and post them here? Or maybe someone with more knowledge of the specific vocabulary would help us out...
--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jul, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hi Vincent,
i can read french, so if you can post some images with comments it would be great, if not
i appreciated also a simple list.
Gabriel
Vincent Le Chevalier

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jul, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Gabriele,

Here are scans of the index of the plates I have. For the post Napoleonic period I think you'll be looking at plates 26 to 36. Let me know if there are specific plates you'd like to see in full, or if you have a problem with the language...

Regards,

Attachment: 93.6 KB
First part [ Download ]

Attachment: 119.47 KB
Second part [ Download ]

Attachment: 114.45 KB
Third part [ Download ]

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jul, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Vincent,

great work thanks a lot!
The list is perfect and easy to read. If you can please post some pics of the following patterns:
Marine officer model 1837
Infantry officer model 1845 and 1882
cavalry officer model 1882 and 1896
cavalry trooper model 1882 and 1896

thank you again

gabriele
Vincent Le Chevalier

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jul, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Gabriele,

So if I'm not mistaken you're interested in plates 28, 30, and 32. Here they are with a short summary of the description given in the book...

Plate 28:
3: Sabre d'officier subalterne et d'adjudant d'infanterie modèle 1845
The blade is 770mm long, slightly curved with a short false edge near the tip. I think the blade is hollow-ground.
4: Sabre d'officier supérieur d'infanterie modèle 1845
The hilt is more voluminous. The blade is 860mm long, straight, with a fuller and hollow-ground on either side. I can't really figure from either text or picture if the blade is double edged?

Plate 30:
1: Sabre des officiers d'infanterie modèle 1882
Straight blade, 830mm long, double edged.
2: Sabre de cavalerie modèle 1882
Straight, single-edged hollow-ground blade, comes in 3 lengths, 950mm, 925mm, 870mm.
3: Sabre de calvalerie de ligne modèle 1896, troupe
Straight hollow-ground blade with a flase edge near the tip, 950mm long. The drawing shows the guard that was meant to be more protective than the previous one, on both sides.
4: Sabre d'officier de cavalerie modèle 1896
Largely like the trooper's except for the more decorated hilt, and 3 different lengths of blade.

Apparently these cavalry sabers saw a very limited success...

Plate 32:
5: Sabre d'officier de marine modèle 1837
The blade is slightly curved, between 700mm and 800mm, with a false edge forming on the last third towards the tip.

Don't trust the pictures here for curvature of the blades, as you can see by the frame there has been distorsion as I'm probably shooting from too close.

In case you can find it, the book in question is Les armes blanches : sabres et épées, by Dominique Venner, published by Jacques Grancher in 1986. Unfortunately I think it is out of print now...

Hope this helps!

Attachment: 91.45 KB
plate28.jpg
Plate 28

Attachment: 93.1 KB
plate30.jpg
Plate 30

Attachment: 101.75 KB
plate32.jpg
Plate 32

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jul, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent,

Many thanks for posting these plates. I do agree with you that drawings should only be viewed as a rough draft, as i can see specifically with the 1882 infantry officer example (I have seen a couple of variations, single and double edges). As to the 1845 you wonder, or mention
Quote:
4: Sabre d'officier supérieur d'infanterie modèle 1845
The hilt is more voluminous. The blade is 860mm long, straight, with a fuller and hollow-ground on either side. I can't really figure from either text or picture if the blade is double edged?

I am attaching a photo of one made in the early 20th century (not great but it is something). These are a double edged and double fullered blade, the center in the drawing being simply the medial ridge. A good many German and other European dagen use a similar multi-fullered blade. I have seen as many as four slim fullers. The infantry blade is virtually the same as what you see on plate 32 #6.

I would be extremely interested in seeing plate 24, of the epees. Thanks in advance if you can find the time. I stumble along ok with reading French. There are a couple listed of that plate that have me curious.

Cheers

GC
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very good pics Vincent, thank you for posting.

Do you know for how many years the 1845 infantry sword has remained on service ?
Vincent Le Chevalier

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Glen,

Thanks for your comments! I have to admit that these weapons and this time period are completely outside my main area of interest, so I just tried to sum up the book content as best as I could. In the case of the 1845 it's a bit strange, because the text really says two hollow-ground planes and only one fuller in between ("lame droite à deux pans creux de chaque côté, séparés par une gouttière"). On the drawing it seemed fairly clear to me that the thing in the middle wasn't a ridge because of the shadows... Maybe other blades existed for this weapon that the book does not mention?

Anyway, here is a picture of plate 24. The plate itself is not of a very high quality, as if badly printed. There are no further comments in the text, just what you can see in the index of plates. I hope it still helps...

Hi Gabriele,

The 1845 infantry sword has been used as late as 1885 apparently. There were changes made to the scabbard at this date, so they were still in used though gradually replaced by the 1882.

Regards,

Attachment: 88.41 KB
plate24.jpg
Plate 24

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks much Vincent,

That plate puts a few to words I stumble with.

On the 1845s, it is entirely possible your read of the text and picture is correct. I'm sure there are other variations as well. Just when we think we have seen it all, something else appears. As mentioned, I have seen simlar blades withas many as four fullers. The endless variation of some genre and patterns is no less than overwhelming at times. You'd think by the 19th century, it would settle down but the numbers of swords produced and their variety in any given location was quite prodigous.

Cheers

GC
Rob O'Reilly

PostPosted: Thu 07 Aug, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
In the case of the 1845 it's a bit strange, because the text really says two hollow-ground planes and only one fuller in between ("lame droite à deux pans creux de chaque côté, séparés par une gouttière"). On the drawing it seemed fairly clear to me that the thing in the middle wasn't a ridge because of the shadows... Maybe other blades existed for this weapon that the book does not mention?

Greetings Vincent,

Your translation of the French text is correct, and period Modele 1845 for Senior Officers do have the triple fullered blade as you describe. To answer your other question, yes the blade is double edged to the point.

Attached are a few of pics of mine, dated 1846.

Rob

Attachment: 95.86 KB
1845-1.jpg

Attachment: 141.02 KB
DSC_0051-1.jpg

Attachment: 70.83 KB
[ Download ]

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 07 Aug, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rob,
That is a stunning sword and an incredible blade! Did the blade pattern vary at all throughout the lifetime of this model? Come to think of it, what WAS the lifespan of this model? This pattern could tempt me to stray from British swords... Happy

Jonathan
Rob O'Reilly

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan,

It is a very nice sword. This particular example surviving in remarkable condition. I picked it up on a visit to Paris, tucked in the corner of a store that sold antique toy soldiers.

The modele 1845 was officially replaced by the Model 1882 (sword 1 on plate 30 above), however the sword pattern was still in use (and manufactured) until well after WWI.

Rob

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > french sword pattern
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic